What's new

2009 Fall Schedules (1 Viewer)

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I always thought Ghost Whisperer and Medium were way too similar, and how strange they will be on the same network, let alone be paired together.

Looks like the Wednesday night comedies stay intact, which is a good sign, I guess.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
And CBS is on the chart. It kind of boggles my mind that they canceled Without a Trace; it was expensive, sure, but it's the most stable thing they've had in that slot ever and maybe the best of their crime shows. I guess the cast just got too expensive, but you could probably rotate a couple out and replace them with cheaper folks (I wouldn't be shocked if that happens with Cold Case).

Just like with everyone, there's some head-scratchers here. The conventional wisdom last year was that Big Bang Theory was the strong show which protected How I Met Your Mother, but now the latter is leading the night off and the former is in a hammock slot - have their fortunes changed? Also, I wonder about having the two NCIS shows back-to-back; they fit together, but I tend to like changing it up a bit over the course of a night.

They're keeping all their unscripted shows to one hour, though, which is nice.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
With The Unit being cancelled - hopefully, there will be some kind of closure in that series.

GaryEA

Second Unit
CBS cancelled "Eleventh Hour". :frowning:

It wasn't the best show on network TV, but it was fun watching it every week.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial

I thought the season (series) finale was a pretty good wrap-up to the show. It left some things open to explore if it was renewed, but otherwise acted as a good cap on the series. One can't honestly see a real "ending" to a show like The Unit, other than disbanding them, killing them, or reassigning them all. I think the best way was to just have the major arcs end, yet their "stories" continue off camera.

Wth regards to the two NCIS shows back-to-back, as I am a big fan of the show I don't mind at all. Plus, it allows for easier cross-overs should they decide to do them.

Glad to see Numb3rs is back for CBS--I think it's an overlooked gem (though it still does well in friday ratings).

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Here's the CW lineup:

Monday
8 p.m Gossip Girl
9 p.m One Tree Hill

Tuesday
8 p.m 90210
9 p.m Melrose Place

Wednesday
8 p.m America's Next Top Model
9 p.m The Beautiful Life

Thursday
8 p.m Vampire Diaries
9 p.m Supernatural

Friday
8 p.m Smallville
9 p.m America's Next Top Model Encore

---

I just realized that the 10-spot will only have 2 broadcast networks vying for viewers (I will be tuning out of the Jay Leno show, so I know I won't have anything to watch on NBC in the 10-spot). It's going to awfully crowded in the 8 p.m. and 9 p.m. (EST) time slots next season.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I'm thinking one of those Thursday 9pm shows may wind up on Friday.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Rocky F

Second Unit

Yep, and it ain't to hard to figure out which one.

As much as I hate to see Smallville pushed off to Friday, it actually makes sense. It obviously only has one more season in it, and I don't think moving it to Friday will really make it lose too many viewers. That still leaves us with a decent supernatural style Thursday night. My biggest concern is whether or not "Vampire Diaries" will be a good, solid dark thriller like "Supernatural" or just "Gossip Girl" with fangs.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
The CW schedule has now officially been released, and has been added to the first post.

Man, CW sucks. They've completely dropped Sunday after last year's outsourcing disaster. CBS doesn't rely on crime the way CW attempts to milk teen girls. And they dropped the one good show they had that was targeted to that audience in Priveleged. And with the final banishment of the urban comedy block, damn, they'd be awful white if not for Tyra Banks (and does her show really help that much?).

The only vaguely interesting move they've made is Smallville to Friday, and at this point, they must figure Smallville is what it is, will draw about the same no matter where they put it, and doesn't have that much of a future.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter

Yeah, I just noticed no comedies on the CW at all. I guess this could be one step closer for the network to disappear for good! But it could have some company if Leno fails miserably.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
And now, the "what I'll be watching" segment begins...

SUNDAY: The Amazing Race, Cold Case

- I may wind up sampling Three Rivers just because it will make recording the other two easier with football overruns, but it seems to be being sold on the appeal of its star, who really did nothing for me on Moonlight

MONDAY: House, Heroes, Castle, maybe Lie To Me and/or Trauma

- House and Heroes at the same time are the only really ugly conflict on my schedule (yeah, I still like Heroes and hold out a fair amount of hope with Fuller at the reigns). I'll check Lie To Me out in reruns this summer.

TUESDAY: Sample The Forgotten, The Good Wife, NCIS: Los Angeles

- Wow; Tuesday used to be a night full of conflicts for me, now there's some things that just look vaguely interesting. Oddly, the cast of NCISLA may get me to tune in, although I've never had much interest in JAG or NCIS.

WEDNESDAY: Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, maybe Glee or Modern Family and Eastwick

- Haven't watched the preview of Glee yet - I suspect that, Jane Lynch aside, I may hate it. Modern Family is ABC jumping on the faux-doc sitcom years after it seemed exciting and new, but Ed O'Neill has yet to do a bad series. Eastwick sounds dumb, but I like Paul Gross and Rebecca Romijn.

THURSDAY: Bones, Fringe, Supernatural

- This year broke my Grey's Anatomy habit, and Fringe is way ahead of Supernatural on the depth chart (which says nothing bad about Supernatural - Fringe is just that good).

FRIDAY: Law & Order, Dollhouse, Smallville

- Weird spot for L&O.

SATURDAY: Maybe the odd crime rerun.

The Bench

ABC - Better Off Ted, V
- I like Better Off Ted as a mid-season show; if they tried to do 22 episodes a year they might decide that we're watching it for quality characterization rather than absurdity. V's got a great cast, but why not come up with another alien invasion concept - V isn't that recognizable a brand name.

CBS - Flashpoint, maybe Miami Trauma
- Hopefully CBS is re-running Flashpoint over the summer, since I like it but pushed it off for other stuff. Miami Trauma may fall by the way side if NBC's Trauma is enough.

FOX - 24, Human Target
- 24 got rough at times this year, but pulled together in the finale. I like the whole darn cast of Human Target

NBC - Chuck, Day One
- The ten-month wait for new Chuck is nasty, but it really solidified itself as a great series this year. Day One has a nifty hook, at least.

Looks like I'm watching a lot less TV this upcoming season, especially since the cable shows I watch - The Closer, Eureka, Leverage, Criminal Intent, Rescue Me, etc. - tend to be programmed for months the networks are showing reruns.

Albert_M

Supporting Actor

They are redoing V because of it is a recognizable brand name.

Maybe people born in the 80s or later are less familiar, but if you were around in the 80s, V was well known.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Here is my tentative schedule for the fall. (I agree that Tuesdays are a lot simpler now)...

Sunday - 60 Minutes, Sunday Night Football, Family Guy

Monday - Heroes / Chuck, House, How I Met Your Mother, Accidentally on Purpose, Two and a Half Men, The Big Bang Theory, Castle
Second busiest night of the week for me.

Tuesday - NCIS, NCIS: Los Angeles
Not certain how I feel about these being back to back, but I'm looking forward to seeing how the shows differentiate themselves. During the Los Angeles segments on NCIS this year there was more emphasis on electronic surveillance.

Wednesday - Criminal Minds, CSI: NY
The season finale of Criminal Minds last night makes me wonder what is in store for season 5 (esp. in terms of the cast)

Thursday - Bones, Vampire Diaries, CSI, Fringe, Supernatural, 30 Rock, The Mentalist
The 9:00 slot is going to be brutal.

Friday - Smallville, Southland, Dollhouse
The move to Fridays for Smallville doesn't impact me one way or the other. Still undecided on Dollhouse, but will probably tune in. Southland has been one of the better new shows of this season and I'm looking forward to next year.

Saturday - Saturday Night College Football

I'm really going to miss Reaper and Terminator:TSCC. On the other hand, glad to have Chuck, and Better Off Ted returning.

- Walter.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I was, it just seems like it wasn't that well-known, and its history is that it sputtered fairly quickly once it became a series rather than an event. It's not like Star Trek or Doctor Who or even Battlestar Galactica in that there weren't tie-ins being produced while it was off the air.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Sunday
The Simpsons, The Cleveland Show, Family Guy, Sunday Night Football (occasionally)

Monday
Lie to Me, Castle

Tuesday
NCIS, NCIS: Los Angeles, The Good Wife

Wednesday
Parenthood, Glee, Modern Family, CSI: NY

Thursday
CSI

Friday
Southland, Numb3rs

Saturday
Just catching up

Bench
Chuck, 30 Rock, Human Target, 24

It'll be weird not having King of the Hill in the Sunday lineup, after so many years.

Rocky F

Second Unit
What we'll be watching:

Sunday:
The Simpsons, The Cleveland Show, Family Guy (Fox)-Just swapping out King of the Hill with Cleveland, no big change there.
Desperate Housewives (ABC)-my wife has always watched this show, but her interest seems to be waning, she's still working through the last few episodes of the season, so it may or may not stay on the list.
Three Rivers (CBS)-only putting this on here, because my wife did like Alex O'Loughlin in Moonlight, but it honestly doesn't look that appealing to me.

Monday:
Heroes (NBC)-Like Jason, I'm sticking with it and hoping for improvement.
House (Fox)
Accidentally on Purpose(CBS)-I'll at least sample it, but I'm not expecting much
CSI: Miami (CBS)-Honestly, I've dropped it, so it's my wife's call.

Tuesday:
Wow nothing but maybes here:
NCIS & NCIS: Los Angeles (CBS)-we've watched NCIS since the beginning, but have been losing interest, I did watch the LA pilot, but it just doesn't seem "must-see" to me
The Forgotten (ABC)-sample

Wednesday:
A lot to at least sample here
I'll probably check out all of ABC's new sitcoms, but only Cougar Town looks like something I'd watch regularly
Glee (Fox)-loved the preview, looking forward to the series
Eastwick (ABC)-always up for supernatural type shows, and this looks like a cross between Desperate Housewives and Charmed, so my wife will like it
CSI:NY (CBS)-Just like Miami, she still likes it, I sometimes still watch it with her

Thursday:
Now we're picking up
Flash Forward (ABC)
Vampire Diaries (CW)-I'll have to watch an episode or two before I get a good idea of the tone of the show, but given my wife's love of all things vampire, I'm sure we'll watch it either way.
Grey's Anatomy (ABC)-wife
Fringe (Fox)
30 Rock (NBC)
Community (NBC)-sample it

Friday:
Smallville (CW)-After 8 seasons of ups and downs, I'm not giving up on it now
Ghost Whisperer (CBS)-wife likes it, I've started watching it with her lately, but I find it much inferior to . . .
Medium (CBS)-love this show, so glad CBS rescued it from the scrap heap NBC was ready to throw it on
Dollhouse (Fox)

Midseason:
Chuck (NBC)
Day One (NBC)
Lost (ABC)
V (ABC)
Human Target (Fox)
Lost of good scifi on tap for midseason.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Sunday: The Simpsons
Monday: Heroes
Thursday: Parks And Recreation, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, Supernatural, Fringe, The Office and 30 Rock.
Friday: Dollhouse (the first season was very up and down but with the talent involved, I think/hope it can grow into a solid show)

I'll be watching 24 and Lost when they return as well.

I'm sure there will be new series that I start watching here and there too.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
Monday: The Big Bang Theory, CSI: Miami (thin ice), Castle, House, Lie To Me, and checkout Trauma
Tuesday: NCIS, NCIS: LA, The Forgotten, Recue Me (when it airs), and checkout The Good Wife
Wednesday: Criminal Minds, CSI: NY, Eastwick, Glee, and checkout Parenthood
Thursday: Flash Forward, CSI, The Mentalist, Bones, Fringe, Parks & Recreation, The Office, Community, and Vampire Diaries
Friday: Medium, Numb3rs, Dollhouse, Southland, and Smallville
Saturday: Cops, Wanda Sykes Show, and SNL
Sunday: 60 Minutes, The Simpsons, and The Cleveland Show
Mid-season: Chuck, 24, V, Lost, Better Off Ted, and Human Target

Plus interesting PBS, and HD cable content when aired (including HBO, Cinnemax, Showtime, and Starz series).

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
SUNDAY
08:00 - CBS - The Amazing Race
08:00 - FOX - The Simpsons
08:30 - FOX - The Cleveland Show
09:00 - FOX - Family Guy

MONDAY
08:00 - CBS - How I Met Your Mother
08:30 - CBS - Accidentally On Purpose
09:30 - CBS - The Big Bang Theory

WEDNESDAY
09:00 - FOX - Glee

THURSDAY
08:00 - CBS - Survivor
08:00 - NBC - SNL Weekend Update Thursday
08:30 - NBC - Parks and Recreation
09:00 - NBC - The Office
09:30 - NBC - Community

SATURDAY
11:35 - NBC - Saturday Night Live

The Bench
FOX - American Idol (Tuesday & Wednesday 8pm)

NBC - 30 Rock (Thursday 9:30pm)
NBC - Celebrity Apprentice (Sunday 9pm)
NBC - Chuck (Monday 8pm)

Not too different from my usual. I don't really have high hopes for Accidentally on Purpose but it's worth a shot I suppose. Ditto for Community, although that seems a lot better. Why the HIMYM/BBT split? Those were a good complement.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
From what I hear, "Reaper" may get a third season syndicated directly to CW affiliates for Sunday night programming. Even though Tyler Labine is comitted to new Fox comedy "Sons of Tucson", his contract with the show is second to his contract with "Reaper".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks