What's new

2009 at the Box Office (1 Viewer)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I guess REVOLUTIONARY ROAD is pretty much dead since it didn't get too many major Oscar noms? It doesn't appear the Oscar announcements really hit with the crowds.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
yeah, it appears as though Revolutionary Road is not going anywhere. Bigger (bad) surprise for the studios is that "Inkheart" which was supposed to be a good earner is starting off really weak.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Weekend Estimates

#1 "Paul Blart: Mall Cop" $21.5 million ($64.8 million) -33%
#2 "Underworld: Rise of the Lycans" $20.7 million
#3 "Gran Torino" $16.0 million ($97.6 million) -27%
#4 "Hotel for Dogs" $12.4 million ($37.0 million) -27%
#5 "Slumdog Millionaire" $10.6 million ($55.9 million) +80%
#6 "My Bloody Valentine 3D" $10.1 million ($37.7 million) -53%
#7 "Inkheart" $7.7 million
#8 "Bride Wars" $7.0 million
#9 "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" $6.0 million ($111.0 million) +8%
#10 "Notorious" $5.7 million ($31.8 million) -72%
#11 "Defiance" $5.4 million ($18.3 million) -39%
#12 "Revolutionary Road" $5.3 million ($11.9 million) +195%

January '09 continues its scorching pace as the top 12 pulled in a whopping $128.3 million this weekend, marking the fifth best top 12 finish historically for the month, four of those five coming this month. The studios have so far seen this month earn a staggering $865.8 million, marking a 23% bump over last year ($705.4 million), up a stellar 47% compared to '07 ($587.5 million), a 38% improvement over '06 ($626.8 million), and an impressive 43% stronger than '05 ($607.3 million).

Sony had a very good weekend as they took the top two slots at the box office. First place goes to "Paul Blart: Mall Cop", which repeated as the nation's top film. The comedy pulled in $21.5 million, suffering only a 33% decline, and has so far tallied just under $65 million. A final haul well north of the $100 million mark is now a foregone conclusion. Along with "Gran Torino", 'Blart' will be the fourth January release to earn more than $100 million domestically.

Technically, 'Blart' will only be the second since 'Torino' and "Black Hawk Down" are considered 2008 and 2001 releases respectively. Both films went wide in January '09 and '02 following limited play in '08 and '01. After it's all said and done, 'Bart' and the special edition release of "Star Wars" will be the only official January releases to pass the century mark. Congrats to star Kevin James for headlining his first solo box office hit.

Sony's prequel "Underworld: Rise of the Lycans" (the best of the three films in my opinion) got out of the gates with a solid haul of nearly $21 million. 'Lycans' earned a per-theater average of $7,036 from its 2,942 locations, which was the second best of the top 12. Though the film earned less in its debut than the previous two entries ($22 mil and $27 mil respectively), this chapter was without the services of star Kate Beckinsale who played the lead in the first two movies. 'Lycans' cost only $35 million to produce (compared to the $22 million and the $50 million the first two cost respectively) and is expected to become a very profitable hit for the studio.

Despite being ignored by the Academy, WB's "Gran Torino" continues to pack movie theaters. The drama was off by only 27% this weekend and has now earned close to $98 million. The possible swan song for Clint Eastwood as an actor will no doubt go on to become the biggest hit film he has ever had as either an actor or director.

DreamWorks/Paramount's "Hotel for Dogs" also lost only 27% of its business from last weekend and is sitting on a domestic mark of $37 million. Look for this one to top out in the area of $70 million. At a cost of only $25 million, this one will end up being a very profitable venture for the two studios.

After spending the previous ten weeks in limited play, Fox Searchlight/WB's Oscar favorite "Slumdog Millionaire" went into wide release this weekend. Fresh off the film's ten Oscar nods (the second best this year) and last night's victory at the Producer's Guild Awards (earning the top prize), the movie pulled in about $10.6 million, giving it a total of nearly $56 million thus far. The movie's average of $7,477 from its modest 1,411 theaters was easily the best of the top 12. With a Best Picture and Best Director (Danny Boyle) win at the Academy Awards all but locked up, look for this one to end its run well north of the $100 million mark.

Lionsgate's "My Bloody Valentine 3D" lost 53% of its business this weekend and has now pulled in close to $38 million. At a cost of only $20 million, the movie looks headed for a final mark in the neighborhood of $55-$65 million.

New Line/WB's "Inkheart" crashed and burned this weekend as it took in $7.7 million, earning an average of only $2,910 from its 2,655 theaters. The movie was expected to do bigger business, but went virtually ignored by moviegoers. Look for this one to fade quickly.

Fox's "Bride Wars" is now sitting on a domestic haul of $48.7 million. Paramount/WB's "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button", which earned 13 Oscar nods (the best this year), saw a 8% increase in business this weekend and has now tallied $111 million. Fox Searchlight's "Notorious" took a staggering 72% hit this weekend. The biopic has now earned close to $32 million. Look for this one to end its run with about $40 million. Paramount Vantage took the final two slots of the top 12 this weekend. "Defiance" has tallied more than $18 million thus far, while "Revolutionary Road" went wide with less than thrilling results, earning about $5.3 million from its 1,058 locations, giving it a so-so average of $4,979.

Elsewhere in the top 20, Fox Searchlight's "The Wrestler" (which should've earned a Best Picture nod in my opinion) expanded to 422 more locations this weekend, giving it a total of 566 total theaters. The movie earned $3.7 million, culminating in a solid per-theater average of $6,537. The film has now netted $9.5 million after six weeks in theaters.

Best Picture nominee "Frost/Nixon" continues its very unimpressive run in theaters as it expanded to 946 more locations, giving it a total of 1,099 theaters. The movie pulled in $3 million, giving it an average of only $2,750. The drama has now earned just over $12 million after eight weeks in theaters.

Next weekend will see three new releases take on 'Paul Blart'. Fox's action flick "Taken", DreamWorks/Paramount's thriller "The Uninvited", and Lionsgate's romantic/comedy "New in Town" all hit theaters. 'Blart' will attempt to make it three-in-a-row next week. Look for the three new releases to have solid returns. On a personal note, I'm hoping for a good opening for "Taken", I thought it was a really solid (and yes, mindless) action flick. Plus, it was good seeing Liam Neeson just beating the crap out of people.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Man, it looks like these "great" films are bombing at the box office. I'm glad I don't have your job Terry because I'd get pretty depressed having to look and write some of those numbers down.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
My reaction to Taken advertising is quite similar (though you've seen it). Ho-hum, mindless action, seen this film a dozen times and...holy shit, is that Liam Neeson?!?

I'll take a simple action/revenge movie if I get to see Neeson jack some fools.

Speaking of Neeson, Terry, I've been waiting, like, three years for his Lincoln movie with Spielberg. Considering Lincoln's Bicentennial is this year, is there any chance this thing gets made? What is the status?

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Chuck, Spielberg is now concentrating all of his efforts on making the Tintin trilogy with Peter Jackson right now. "Lincoln" won't be happening until sometime after that. It may be a while since Spielberg also has plans to direct the sci-fi flick "Interstellar", along with developing the "Oldboy" feature with Will Smith. It may be quite some time before we see the "Lincoln" feature. The official status of the movie is currently "in development". As for "Taken", Neeson elevates what would've been a paint-by-numbers action flick to something more substantial due to how seriously he takes the role. It was really a solid watch.

And Michael, the only time it's really a drag writing about the box office is when absolutely nothing is happening. So far, this January has been one for the books in terms of overall box office and attendance.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Thanks, Terry. Now I hate Indy IV
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Yeah, I'm excited for Taken. Good role for Liam.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
No offense to Mr. Spielberg, but I have absolutely zero interest in seeing a movie trilogy based on Tintin (I may be in the minority on this one). I've been looking forward to "Lincoln" for quite some time now. It also doesn't hurt that this is probably the best role Liam Neeson has had in a great while (i.e. one that will garner some Oscar attention). Spielberg has been putting this one off for years now. I'm starting to get the feeling that he probably won't end up directing it, but serving as producer instead.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
My biggest problem with the delay is Mr. Neeson's age. Right now, he's about the age Lincoln was when he was assassinated. Too much older, and the opportunity has passed.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Amblin is often described as a black hole of script development. Every writer jumps at the chance to write for Spielberg but so many projects go there to die. He waits for the script to get good enough. sometimes a film with a script that's not good enough for him (Memoirs of a Geisha) manages to escape the Amblin Event Horizon, but it's a rare occurence. Lincoln probably hasn't come onto the schedule because the script isn't good enough yet. :-P

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
To be honest, I care more about Neeson's involvement than Spielberg's. I can't believe they didn't find a way to get the film made for this year. Lincoln interest is very high now thanks to the Bicentennial, and the continuing references to the man and his presidency by current politicians can't hurt. I tend to agree that this project might be more interesting and meaty than the other films on the plate. I don't mind if someone else makes the film. I just want it made.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

But Neeson LOOKS younger than Abe did for much of his life. Your average 50-year-old in 2009 looks younger than your average 50-year-old in 1909, and not just because of plastic surgery.

I don't think chronological age matters a whole lot for an actor...

I'm shocked to see how well "Mall Cop" is doing. It looked like the cinematic equivalent of shovelware: something cheap and crummy just to fill screens for a little while. Dunno if it's actually funny or not, but it's finding a surprising audience...

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Nice to see Eastwood's Gran Tarino packing in the box office...when we went the other night (even on a weeknight)...it was 3/4 full. I don't think it's his best by a long shot but still worthy of seeing.

The trailers for Taken do look cool though. Liam Neeson is one of my favorites; ever since seeing him in Suspect back in 1985. Ooodles of screen presence and a great voice to boot that just makes you sit up and listen.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It seems like a pretty obscure property; the high expectations surprise me. I'd never even heard of it until the recent trailers, and from what I've seen and read, it seems quite similar to the recent Adam Sandler film "Bedtime Stories."

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It's surprisingly well-reviewed for the Sandler-caliber of comedy. The worst thing most people have to say about it is that it's bland. Some notable outlets -- Ebert, EW, the New York Post -- actually liked it.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
in fact... happy gilmore is the production company behind mall cop and was shot in new england, where sandler grew up. it's burlington mall, just a stone's throw from where i am :P

Patrick H.

Second Unit
I don't think so...to me the whole idea of a CGI-based 'Tintin' trilogy sounded patently insane from the word go. I was unsurprised when Universal refused to bankroll it, even with Spielberg and Jackson attached, and you'd think they might've taken the hint and moved on. It seems like both of them have much more interesting potential projects in the docket.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks