What's new

2009-2010 MLB Hot Stove (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Even though the '09 World Series has yet to be played...this news today is the first big news of the upcoming off-season.

After being re-upped with a one year contract as skipper in St. Louis, Tony LaRussa announces that Mark McGwire will be his hitting coach next season. If not, he won't be able to function too well as a hitting instructor.

I know LaRussa is really close with McGwire...but this might come back to haunt him...unless McGwire has decided it's time to clear the air. Who know? Maybe it'll work out to McGwire's advantage. Just the idea of returning to an active role in baseball is a 180-degree turn for the the big man. Maybe we're due for more surprises.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Do you think Pujols is with the Cards at the start of spring training, 2010?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I dunno. I don't follow the Cards close enough to know the issues.

But I can say that Pujols could go wherever he wants next year. There's a guy who can punch his own ticket. Who wouldn't want him? He's just amazing. Maybe too amazing...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The GM meetings are underway.

And, players are now filing for free agency. Among those who have filed:

HERE'S an up-to-date list of those who have filed (from mlb.com). There are a number of high-profile names on there...but it seems a lot of would-be free agents are deciding not to test the waters this year and are, instead, exercising their options to re-up with the current clubs.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Huzzah for Greinke! It was truly a magical season for him; every time he was on the mound you felt like something special was going to happen.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Glad to hear Greinke won the Cy Young.

With the playoff scheduling, I have a feeling they will never get that thing right! Or at least please both the fans AND the networks. But with no WBC next year, the playoffs should not spill into November.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Walter C

With the playoff scheduling, I have a feeling they will never get that thing right! Or at least please both the fans AND the networks. But with no WBC next year, the playoffs should not spill into November.
With that being said, Walter--and I agree wholeheartedly--it would be best if they just did away with the WBC altogether.

And, honestly, I don't think they could ever please BOTH the fans AND the networks. Outside of the issue of day games and start times of evening games and so many other things, I also have a problem with so many games (including an entire CS!) appearing on TBS--a non-broadcast channel. That shuts a fair amount of people out of their national pastime.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Greinke, with 16 wins, tied the previous record for least wins by a Cy Young winner. Lincecum, with 15 wins this season, set a new record for least wins by a Cy Young winner.

Phil Mushnick (columnist for the NY Post) notes that the two, together, total 31 wins...the same number won by Denny McLain in his Cy Young year if 1968! McLain also pitched 336 innings that year--107 more than Greinke and 111 more than Lincecum!

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
FYI - according to German TV - today is the birthday of Joe DiMaggio and he was married almost 1 year to Marilyn Monroe (I didn't know that or I had forgotten). I guess Joe must have struck out rather than hit a home run. If I remember, Joe played baseball for some unknown team.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sumner:

They have been married less than a year...but the mystique surrounding the coupling of those two will live on forever.

Even though they divorced, they remained very close--especially after Monroe started to have her psychiatric problems. It was DiMaggio she leaned on during the final years of her life.

I believe for him there was no other. It was DiMaggio who had roses quietly sent to her grave several times a week for decades.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mike,

For my own part, I think it's good news. He was okay for the short time he pitched for the BoSox. But more than this, he seemed to be quite nonchalant about his role and whether he even wanted to continue playing the game. His indecision (at first) to come to Boston, and telling people in interviews that he had achieved all there was to achieve in baseball, turned me off to him. Then there was the reported tensions with Papelbon over their roles once Wagner got here. I'm pleased to see him go.

On another note, did you catch where the Red Sox are thinking about using Pedroia at shortstop? Does this mean that Gonzalez is not returning?

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
I think Gonzalez has in fact already signed with the Blue Jays (the deal was announced sometime during the Thansgiving weekend). After signing Gonzalez, the Blue Jays are now expected to make no effort to re-sign Scutaro.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks