What's new

[2009-10-01] Sam Phillips: The Long Play launches today (1 Viewer)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I've signed up for Sam Phillips' The Long Play, a subscription based released program which launched today [2009-10-01].

Sam is a musician I am happy to support in this way, as I tend to be the kind of fan who tracks down all her rarities anyway. This makes it all so much more convenient. I am pleased to report that the first EP and the first rarities are in 320kbps mp3. Naturally, being a sonic enthusiast I'd have preferred lossless flac files, but, 320 kbps is the best mp3s can be. And maybe the site will improve with lossless files if subscribers ask. I'll wait till they ask for feedback.

http://www.samphillips.com

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Here's the text:

the long play. the official subscription site.
Long Play is a year of music. While digging for inspiration and journaling the process of writing and recording, I will release 5 EP’s and a full-length album through samphillips.com. There is no record company involved — this is just between us.
As a subscriber, every two months you will automatically receive a high-quality digital EP made up of new songs, new versions of my old songs, seasonal songs, or previously unreleased songs. (The first EP is entitled “Hypnotists in Paris”; a collaboration between myself and The Section Quartet.)
At the end of the Long Play, next fall, you will receive a full-length digital album. This is the most music I’ve ever released in a one-year period. Essays, video, photos and audio logs will make the Long Play part music, book, magazine, laboratory, radio program and curiosity collection.
Will opening up some of the creative process affect the way I write and record the music? Will it affect how you hear it? I have no idea, and there’s only one way to find out…please join me for the Long Play. 

Sam

A $52 subscription includes:

- 5 digital EP’s (high-quality MP3 format); released every two months starting October 1, 2009

- 1 full-length digital album (high-quality MP3 format); scheduled for release in the fall of 2010 

- 1 Subscribers-only bonus track with each EP and album, plus additional bonus tracks throughout the year

- Bonus audio and video content throughout the year
- Long Project; may include live concert footage, rehearsal tapes, demos, behind-the-scenes footage and interviews, etc.

- Exclusive audio and visual oddities

- Membership in the Long Play community with exclusive access to Sam’s journaling of her creative process as well as an exclusive social network of Sam’s fans.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
-check- Paypal sent...... Love SP. This is way better than Itunes which was where her last unique collection of songs was released.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Oh yes, the iTunes release of the b-sides from Don't Do Anything? I admit that was one of the few iTunes purchases I made. I'm thrilled. I noticed after signing up there's a community group inside the Long Play in which one can leave feedback, so I asked for flacs. It's hard to get to. You have to poke around in your My Account settings to find the Groups....

Hey fans, I just noticed that What It All Means on the CD from The Believer magazine is different than the version on the Psychiatrists in Paris EP. So be sure to get the magazine! They’re out of the magazine but are selling off the remaining discs for $5 each on The Believer website. Well worth it!!!

http://store.mcsweeneys.net/index.cfm/fuseaction/catalog.detail/object_id/7f02ef26-3734-4a15-8e0a-55f306cba1b9/

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the link Will B - I was aware of that recording but had not dug around to find how to order it.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Here it is, the internal announcement:

On October 16, 2009 Management Team said:

Hello to everyone here at Sam’s Long Play! To quote Sam, we’re so glad you’re here….

Many people have requested FLAC files and we’re here to tell you that they are on the way. ”Hypnotists in Paris” FLAC files will be available very soon and all future releases will be available in both MP3 and FLAC format right from the start.

The Long Play will continue to grow and evolve as it goes along…we hope that you’re enjoying the ride and spreading the word!

Sam’s Management Team

-----

Personal note from me: I believe they'll actually be Apple lossless files, not flac, but either way, there shall be lossless files soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks