What's new

2008 NCAA College Football Thread (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Keep in mind the only reason Michigan's bowl streak is at "only" 33 is that the Big Ten had a rule then where they only sent one team to a bowl -- the conference champ to the Rose Bowl. Michigan stayed home for the holidays two straight years with only one loss and one tie over those two seasons (both to Ohio State).

It's difficult to imagine an undefeated (one tie) team not going to a bowl game.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member

It is illegal to punch the ball like that to advance it if you can't get it. I'll get back to you on the actual rule. Based on the schedule Penn State has, I could see a one loss big twelve/one loss SEC playing in the national championship game over an undefeated Penn State.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Oh gosh. Boise State just can't seem to get their act together this year. The final score against New Mexico State was only 49-0. They should have at least doubled that score. How are they ever going to get past USC in the Rose Bowl this year? :confused:

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
That is probably what should happen, but the "powers that be" might be hard pressed to ignore Penn State if they are undefeated and there is only one Big 12 or SEC team with one loss. It looks like the last four weeks of the college football season are going to be very interesting.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

I'd agree with the recruiting part of it. I read somewhere that Tenn. has to recruit its athletes out of state. Can someone here verify?

He'd already done the firing assistants at least once before, so this was the logical step. Question is, does he still want to coach, and if so, who'll pick him up?

Several BCS programs are gonna be looking for new blood. It'll be interesting who they pick.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
With the economy on the brink of collapsing you would think there would be more important matters for members of Congress to tackle.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

I'd rather they be distracted with trying to get D1 football into a playoff system, then muck up the economy any more than they have!

I do find it funny that it's coming from Texas. Given how they've basically just taken over the B12 and rewritten everything to suit them, I find these just desserts sweet!

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I don't know. I think congress has fair incentive to get involved in this issue. Most of these universities are state & federal funded. The current setup of bowls diminishes the value of "lesser" leagues potential to earn monetary benefit from their presence in the BCS system, and the BCS system overly rewards states by placing extra value on their bowls.

A playoff system could provide greater financial impact, and if structured in the right way, it would provide interest in many teams that up until then would be statistically eliminated before the season began from contention.

Just some thoughts. Besides, agree with above, I'd prefer they waste time on this then mucking things up more ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks