What's new

2008 MLB Thread (1 Viewer)

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Mike Hampton couldn't quite get past the bullpen mound last night to make his start vs. PIT. He landed on the DL after hurting himself during pregame warm-ups. This is just comical at this point.

You have to stay updated on the Cubs' curses. Forget the goat - Ernie Banks just cursed the team for screwing up his statue.

They've since added the missing apostrophe.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if Wikipedia has updated the photo for Mr. Glass in the "Unbreakable" entry with a photo of Mike Hampton. Heaven help him if he ever sneezes.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

You gotta give some props to Pedro Martinez, though. He's much more durable than Mike Hampton.

Pedro actually made it into the 4th inning in his first start for the Mets before he left...with a hammy pull...for 4 to 6 weeks.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member

Whoops!

Looking at the Tigers' upcoming schedule, I think it is entirely possible they will be 10-19 around May 1. Batting IRod leadoff today was obviously not the answer, and the fans today were clearly not happy with the product the Tigers put out there.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
If the Tigers aren't careful this could get real ugly quick. They need to start hitting, and now. So far the things I have noticed a lot are not working the count, very weak first pitch swings and just a lack of heart. They aren't out of it yet, but its getting close, and who would have thought we would be saying that at this point in the season. They either need to pitch a shut out, explode for 13 runs on some team or get into a big brawl to light a fire, something has to give.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, they can wait until Friday, if you don't mind. :) I have to admit to being kind of amused by diagnosing "a lack of heart" (or, as the meme seems to be, that the team completely falls apart without Curtis Granderson). I firmly believe that winning creates good juju much more than good juju creates winning, and that a month from now people will remember that lots of good teams have a long losing streak in their record somewhere; the Tigers just look bad because theirs came at the start of the season.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member

However, no team has ever started the season with 6 losses (let alone 7+) and won the WS. Tiger fans are obviously hoping to break that stat.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, but I'm sure that you can look at just about every world series winner and find some sort of statistical aberration about them (No team has EVER won a world series after a more than 75-year drought! No expansion team has EVER won a world series within five years of being created! No team that had a losing record during the month of August has EVER won a World Series!)

It's like the equivalent of putting Enrique Wilson in your starting line-up because he's 6-for-15 against Pedro Martinez. It's an interesting bit a trivia, but not really more than that.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member

I will say that the fact it is occurring at the very start doesn't mean much (after all, I think the White Sox of 2005 had a 7-game losing streak near the end of the season).

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Peter Gammons said on ESPN that the Red Sox had 3-6 game losing streaks or something like that last year, again, its just the time its happening.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's simple, no team in ML history began the season with seven straight losses and made the playoffs so history is against the Tigers in their quest to change it.

Crawdaddy

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm with Jason. I think it's irrelevant.

Look at the Yankees April last season. They had an awful first half and they finished with 94 wins.

Derek Jeter, one season when he started ugly, knew that he'd be all right by the end of the season. And he was.

The Red Sox were down 0-3 on the '04 ALCS...

The Tigers will be fine...and are just as likely to be competitive at season's end as they are not.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member

And 1-3 in last years ALCS. Down a combined 7 games in those 2 series and they managed to win 15 straight en route to 2 World Series titles.

Still sick to my stomach over the Indians blown lead in the ALCS. :frowning:

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member

Not just simple, but a meaningless oversimplification.

Allow me to try one:

No team in ML history began the season with a pitcher with the first name of Yorman and made the playoffs.

So I guess the Tigers have two mountains to climb this year.

Jon

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
Tigers finally win a fraking game, 7-2 over the Red Sox. Of course, Todd Jones had to provide some drama by loading the bases with 2 outs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks