What's new

2008 MLB Thread (3 Viewers)

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
Good start to the 2008 season. Nats beating the Braves 3-2 in the 1st game in the new stadium. What made this game an oddity was the Nats got 2 runs in the 1st on 3hits. Then didn't get a base runner after that until Zimmerman's game winning HR in the btm 9th.

An idea popped into my head about the Boston-Oakland series in Japan recently.

MLB could have scheduled the Boston-Oakland series with the start of the season. Both teams would have played on Monday & Tuesday (3/31 & 4/1), then take off Wednesday & Thursday (for travel) before resuming play on Friday April 4th.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That homer by Zimmerman sent shivers down my spine.

What a way to christen a new stadium! Nice for the president to throw out the opening pitch. Wouldn't have had it any other way.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
But a bit odd to have a 1-game series to open the regular season.

It is drizzling here in Philly, so not exactly a good day to go to the ballpark. It will be interesting to see how Brett Myers will do in the starting rotation after spending the past few seasons in the bullpen.

Have to start planning my NY weekend trip this Memorial Day weekend, to see a game at both Yankee and Shea Stadiums. I think Shea is the last of the cookie-cutter stadiums.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I have been waiting to see the Tigers and their potent line up, Verlander getting the opening day nod, yet it is raining here and there is a good chance of a rain out. That would be very disappointing.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I had a BBQ to celebrate the opening of the new stadium. Bratwurst and burgers on the new grill I got late last year. So good! That walk-off homer from Z-pak was just fantastic!!!! My goodness what a way to open the season and the new ballpark on national TV. Zimmerman is my desktop now. :)

The boos for Mr. Bush made me cringe. Come on people it's the president throwing out the first pitch in the new Washington park. Cheer for him, it's not time to make a political statement.

Now the Nats, my #2 favorite team, go north to play my #1 favorite team the Phillies.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

But the game goes on...which is a good thing because it is the ESPN back-up game since the Yanks/Jays are in a rain delay! :emoji_thumbsup:

The Tigers scare this Red Sox fan quite a lot this year.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
When else are you ever able to so directly communicate your feelings to someone like the President? It's a moment that's a bit uncomfortable now, but will probably be a great, illustrative clip in a documentary some time down the line.

(Besides, you can be sure some people would absolutely interpret cheering for him as a political statement of support. Best to just be honest.)

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Caught the last few innings of the rain-delayed Brewers/Cubs game. Great game - scoreless through 8, MIL scores 3 (off Wood) in the top of the 9th, then the Cubs answer with 3 of their own (off Gagne, who apparently still thinks he's in Boston) thanks to a Fukudome homer. MIL wins in the 10th, 4-3.

Some good games early in the season so far.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Well the Royals beat the Red Sox last year in the opener and look how the season turned out for them. So as a Tigers fan I don't feel to bad about the loss today. I never imagined how big Cabrera is, wow is that guy a monster. Verlander looked pretty good as well.

Jason Grilli....I have the deepest disdain for him and am not sure what Leyland's fascination with him is.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
The best line up in baseball comes at the end of the season when its all said and done. As far as I am concerned the Red Sox have the best team until proven otherwise.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I wonder which team is going to sneak up on everyone this year like Colorado and Milwaukee did last year. Seattle, Maybe?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I don't think I can take many more of these crazy slugfests and extra inning monstrosities that the Braves are going to get into because their bullpen sucketh mightily once again.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I've heard quite a few analysts suggest Seattle should be a lot better this year. Among other reasons, they say because he's pitching in Safeco Field, Bedard might be able to contribute enough to make a real difference.

Jonathan Peterson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Peterson
Ugh, my poor A's had absolutely no offense these past two games. Pitching and defense were good but what a snoozer at the plate.

Mike OConnell

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
The Royals are in first place all alone!

This might be my only chance to say this all year, so I gotta do it when I can!

Go Royals!!!!!!!

Last year they were not even in first place for one day, at least they will be in or tied for first place for at least five days this year. Small steps....

Now - if my other team - the Cubbies - could get their heads on straight and start playing like a major league team....anybody see any goats lately?

Mike

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
If the Royals can sweep the Twins this weekend, then I see this being a magical year for them, just like a few years ago. Otherwise, they will come back to earth.

The Phils finally won a game, on a bases-loaded walk in extra innings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks