What's new

2008 MLB Thread (2 Viewers)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Yeah...like I mentioned before about unfairness, it shouldn't be fair that a team have less than 90 wins and still win the division.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
what was the Cards record a few years ago when the won the Series

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I think the Cards won 83 or 84 games in '06. But they won when it mattered most - in October.

Mets eliminated on the final day of the season for the second straight year. Although this collapse wasn't quite as bead as the seven-game lead they lost last year, still not good. And then they had Shea's closing ceremony AFTER the loss. Probably not a great feeling in the building for that.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I watched the closing ceremony at Shea. It's easy to see why they are often considered second-class citizens of NYC's baseball universe.

And that starts with the decision to hold the ceremony AFTER the ballgame. Weird.

It seemed to me one of the biggest ovations was for the widow of Mets broadcaster Bob Murphy.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Shea is the worst stadium for watching on TV or listen on the radio. Everything in the PA seems to go into the microphones of the broadcasters. I will be so happy to not hear that annoying guy yelling "ALRIGHT EVERYBODY!!!! LET'S GO METS! LET'S GO METS!".

Go Phils! I told my wife that I'll be putting whatever new plaque they have this year on my Christmas list so that I can hang it in the bar next to my "2007 NL East Champions" plaque.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

One of the very things I saw yesterday was an interview--live, in the booth, between Gary Cohen and Ed Kranepool. Darling & Hernandez let Kranepool sit (they were standing behind him). I could hardly hear a word Kranepool said because of some obnoxiously loud rap song that was blaring on the PA as they were coming out of the rain delay and waiting for the game to start.

I don't have much experience with watching/listening to games at Shea but that moment really stood out to me and I think every game I've ever heard John Sterling call from Shea has had complaints from him and his partner at-the-time about how loud the PA is.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I read about that, and wondered if maybe it was a weather thing - the rain was expected to be done by late afternoon, or something. The making folks wait a half hour after the final out i seven worse. I guess "poor timing" is what everyone will remember about this year's Mets season.

I have to admit, I was stunned at just how minor-league a game at Shea felt when I visited a couple weeks ago - no outfield bleachers, goofy contests and giveaways every inning, a T-shirt cannon... The fans were admittedly more into the game than they were on my visit to Yankee Stadium, occasionally cheering without prompting from the jumbotron, but that's sort of damning with faint praise.

I did get to see Johnny Pesky's number 6 retired at Fenway yesterday (when I saw the ceremony was rained out Friday, I checked redsox.com and got lucky), and that was pretty nice. Not a guy you'd necessarily retire for his numbers, but the guy has played/managed/coached/broadcast the Sox in some capacity for 54 (and counting!) seasons, and still shows up to hit fungoes at the age of 89. It was also gratifying to see the crowd cheer when one of the video messages was from Nomar; his trade in '04 wasn't a Manny-level ugly breakup, but it was not fun (to say the least) for those of us who counted him as our favorite player.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter

Even the jet noise can be heard on TV and radio, the annoying thing with Shea, and that problem will remain in Citi Field. That would be enough reason for me to choose Yankee Stadium over Shea, to watch a ball game.

But I'm so happy to see the Mets miss the playoffs. Go Home Mets and Stay Home!

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
So who else watched that one game playoff last night? Man! What a game! Usually if you pitch a game and only give up one solo home run you'd consider that a great outing from your pitching staff.

I posted here because technically it was a regular season game. What's up with that?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I listened to some of it on the radio (ESPN). The play at the plate when Griffey, Junior threw out Cuddyer trying to score from third on a fly ball to center was VERY exciting.

And Jim Thome is a guy I've always said I would definitely pick to have on my team if we were doing a schoolyard "pick 'em." He's one intimidating dude at the plate.

Bonus baseball! :emoji_thumbsup:

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I watched most of the game, and I can appreciate a pitcher's duel.

I wonder if winning these last 2 games, will be enough momentum to carry the White Sox to the World Series. I know some people here, hope not.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Looking back at my predictions at the beginning of the season, I got only 1 out of 8 exactly right, and while I had 2 other teams in the playoffs, but not the way I thought.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of unfair...I'm EXHAUSTED from today and I want to go to bed, but MLB wants me to watch the Red Sox playoffs from 10pm - 1am?? Dude! That's such B.S.!!!!

MLB needs to use NHL as an example on how to divide teams so that I don't have to worry about the West coast time-f*** during the playoffs. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks