What's new

2008 MLB Playoffs thread (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

:laugh: This ALCS, Joe, promises to be a mighty good series. I think Jason and Walter are right that the ALCS probably goes 6 or 7 games.

I was amazed at how tough the Rays played the Sox in September. Very impressive. I keep thinking the Sox' experience will eventually rise to the surface and sink the Rays...but the Rays keep proving themselves to be one tough unit.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
We'll see.

Let's not sell this Rays team short. The Sox players' experience didn't get them when they got within 1/2 a game in the latter half of the season at Fenway. Sometimes lack of experience goes a long way, because your head doesn't get in the way.

It'll be a good series. Here's hoping the good guys win.

Look for me on TV Friday night during Game 1. :P

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
The playoffs are unpredictable, aren't they? It's been a while since I really believed that Matsuzaka had a game like that in him.

(And while I absolutely don't buy into that stuff, the TBS announcers seemed to be trying to set an all-time jinx record for the no-hitter)

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter

Indeed they have been, especially with last night's NLCS game, thinking the Dodgers would win it, after the way the Phils went down in order in the top of the 7th, and I turned the TV off after that.

I was shocked to hear that the Phillies came back and won the game.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Well.......if you look back at the Sox' postseasons in '04 and '07, some people will tell you they do. Even thinking that they've got Matsuzaka, Beckett and Lester to go in the next three games sounds pretty good. But I'd be mighty surprised if they could take the next three in a row from the Rays. They are looking mighty, mighty tough at this moment in time.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Yeah, I know the history. But that's exactly what it is. This series is not going 7 games.

The Rays had their chances against Matsuzaka in game 1, but they were not relaxed and were playing tight. Not even close to the team on the field in games 2-4. Dice-K will be seeing a different mentality in the hitters he faces on Thursday.

I don't expect the Red Sox bats to remain this quiet, but they are the team under all the pressure right now.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Without a doubt. It will be interesting to see how they respond to that pressure. If they tighten up, they're done. They'll need to be loose and even then I don't know if the Rays' juggernaut can be stopped.

You mention Matsuzaka's proclivity for trouble. There is also a big question mark surrounding Beckett's health as far as I'm concerned. He may be trying to pitch through something without letting on how bad it is. He just hasn't looked "right" his past couple of starts. So even though there is a certain amount of hope (where there should really be none) with Matsuzaka, Beckett & Lester...there are also a fair number of questions about their ability to get the job done right now.

And then there are the bats. Ellsbury, Ortiz, and Varitek have been certain outs so far this series. When your lead-off guy, slugger and captain are a combined oh-fer-300 in the series, it's hard to win games.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Will juggling the Rays pitching lineup due to the umpire behind the plate come back to bite the Rays?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
It's not just that; apparently Kazmir has a much better track record at Fenway. I don't think it'll make a huge difference - Papi and Ellsbury aren't hitting anybody right now, and the bench is as ugly as its ever been during Epstein's time as GM. But, hey, maybe that triple will get Ortiz out of his funk.

I can't say I'm anything close to confident about the situation as a Red Sox fan, but this team has come back from 3-1 before, as much as Matsuzaka gets into trouble, he also gets out of it, and I really don't see Lester getting smacked around twice in a row. That still leaves things looking pretty good for the Rays, but not insurmountable.

(And as insane as it is to look forward to the World Series, but if the Red Sox get there, they need to construct the roster better. There's no point in having the three catchers if Francona's not going to pinch-hit for Varitek, and Timlin is completely cooked. No point in having a mop-up guy on the postseason roster.)

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
You were still awake when Timlin came in? :D

I like the move to juggle the rotation. It's not like they are throwing Kazmir under the bus, which is how everyone perceived Garza would end up in Game 3 vs. Lester.

I think it makes sense, and apparently it wasn't a last-minute decision. Matsuzaka threw plenty of hittable pitches in Game 1, but the Rays were tight. If they stay loose and have aggressive at-bats like they did in the last 29 innings, they'll be able to score on him.

Then save Shields for Tropicana Field just in case it goes to Game 6. Shields is a monster at home (he had a great game even in the 2-0 loss), and he'd be up against a pitcher the Rays lit up anyway. That should keep it from going to a Game 7...hopefully.

Which is what we want because the Bucs have a Sunday Night Football game at home at the same time as a scheduled game 7, and a Rays clubhouse attendant is supposed to buy my extra ticket to the Bucs game since my wife can't go.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.