What's new

2007 NFL Off-Season Discussion Thread (Including Vick's troubles) (2 Viewers)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member

I'm not following here. How does that prove that Parcells is wrong? If anything it proves he's right. Urban Meyer took Ron Zook's recruits and turned them into national title winners. Roy Williams took Matt Doherty's boys and turned them into national title winners. Gerry DiNardo's kids won with Nick Saban. And this brings us back to Paul Hackett. Carroll took his kids and won a major bowl game over Iowa in his second year with a quarterback people gave up on after two years. And Ohio State's second most hated man had talents that Jim Tressel took to the national title game in his second year.

Remember that people were pointing out that certain coaches win because of talent, and that is one of the criticisms I didn't get about Pete Carroll. If anything else, giving somebody talent and having terrible results only proves how lousy a coach is, Gerry DiNardo being the prime example.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Norv Turner, wow, that's well...its good news for Oakland, Denver and Kansas City.

I know you're thinking, or if you're a Charger fan perhaps the right words are praying/hoping that he can't screw up with Rivers and LT and Antonio Gates...but the reality is, he absolutely can. I'm not saying that he will right way, but it is more than beyond his potential to do so.

So I guess the old question of who is the bigger fool, the fool or the fool who follows him has to be rewritten a bit.

Who is the bigger fool? The fool (Washington) the fool that follows him (Oakland) or the fool that follows them both (San Diego)?

Also, the Turner hire means AJ Smith's job is safe.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Norv Turner was a former assistant in San Diego, and was a safe, conservative hire. I'm just not real sure that he's a good head coach -- Turner reminds me more of a person more suited to be a coordinator than a HC. I think the Chargers are due to take a step back next season.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Colin Cowerd (sp?) this morning on espn radio was discussing Norv's lack of "gravitas"....Listed several coaches who have it and those he feels don't.

While I agree with that theory to a degree, the bottom line is wins and losses. No one cares if you light up a room if you don't win. I remember back in 1997 when the University of Texas fired John Machovic. He did have an early spotty run at UT, but also won the final Southwest Conference in 1995 and the 1st Big 12 title in 1996. The following year he went 4-7 & got canned. Naysayers proclaimed he was a wine & cheese kind of guy instead a beer & bar b que type! B___S___T.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
...they wouldn't care if he came to the sideline in drag. Did he win enough? Obviously not.

What makes a coach a good fit? Wins. :)

I wish Norv well in San Diego.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Norv "designed" the offense that they are using in San Diego. I don't think offensively he'll change much or screw that part up.

Defensively is where I'd find them suspect next year. They did hire a new coach who understands the 3-4.

Anyway they were saying on ESPN that the Chargers are still the front runners for the AFC next year.

In other news, Andre Gurode signed a new 6 yr deal with the Cowboys to be their center still. He would have been paid really well in free agency if he left. He was real consistent this year but inconsistent in past so we'll see how this signing works out.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

What was so bad about that offer? He would have gotten 4 million for the coming season, 4.5 million for the next, unless the Chargers invoke the buyout. Jeez, I wish I had been offered a buyout like that when I got laid off. Had Marty taken that, it would have been more difficult for the Chargers to sack him.

I guess I don't dwell in that rarefied world where a guaranteed offer of one million to do nothing is not good enough. Maybe Marty outsmarted the Chargers, now's he's going to get 4 million for doing nothing.

As much as I wanted him to go, the time for that was the day after the playoff loss or the week after anyway. They waited too long.

Trey Fletcher

Second Unit
In what is sure to be a devastating development for our friend Casey, the Oakland Raiders have released Aaron Brooks. Apparently, the Raiders were actually hoping he would win a game for them.

"Brooks, who would have been due a $5 million roster bonus if he had stayed on the roster, failed to win any of his eight starts with the Raiders."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2775325

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
According to PFT, Irvin wanted more money and ESPN didn't give it to him.

In other news, Free Agency starts in the next few days. Adalius Thomas(Ravens LB) is rumored to be headed to the 49ers.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Jeff Garcia is rumored to be going to Tampa. That's one more mediocre QB on the Bucs roster.

The Lions are trying to trade Dre Bly, James Hall and Marcus Bell. The latter two have roster bonuses due soon, and Detroit will cut them before paying the bonuses, so there's almost no chance another team will trade for them -- why give up anything when you can sign them as free agents? As for Bly, there are not any salary cap implications to keeping him, so they may have a chance of getting a mid-round draft pick for him.

Also, Millen made another boneheaded move (big shock, I know) by putting the franchise tag on Corey Redding. That makes two defensive lineman on the roster that will be vastly overpaid -- Kalimba Edwards being the other. Redding is a decent player, but he's not worth anywhere near the money he's guaranteed now as a franchised player.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Thats what happens when you have to struggle to keep mediocre talent on your team because none of the good talent wants to come to Detroit.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Jamal Lewis was cut but will likely resign with the Ravens.

and the Cowboys resigned their Pro Bowl Punter to a 5 yr 8.5 million dollar contract. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks