What's new

2007 MLB Season (1 Viewer)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Obviously I'm not rooting for the Phils, but I couldn't agree with you more about pitching (and I've felt like this for YEARS, not just since the Mets bullpen started sucking). I have always thought it was absurd to go by numbers or pitch counts. I don't believe in upsetting the motion of the ocean when it comes to pitchers. My feeling has always been:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

and

If it IS broke... fix it quick before it gets any worse!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Some surprising bits of Red Sox trivia (at least to me):

This is the Red Sox' 18th visit to the post season. Only two American League teams have more. #1, of course, is the Yankees with 44 visits to the post season. Who's #2?

The Athletics of Philadelphia, Kansas City & Oakland...with 23 post season visits.

And, Terry Francona is the only manager to bring the Sox to the postseason three times! Bill Carrigan (1915 & '16 World Champs!), Joe Morgan ('88 & '90 AL East Champs) and Jimy Williams ('98 & '99 Wild Card winners) did it twice.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I knew who number two was; I would think it is rather obvious to anyone who knows the history of baseball.

EricW

Senior HTF Member

what would the Red Sox record be without Gagne? :)

speaking of relief pitching, it looks like the Yanks only have 2 dependable relievers going into post. Jobba and Miriano. I wonder if the Jobba rules will be repealed during post season.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Honestly, the part which surprised me the most was that no Sox manager had ever gone to the post-season more than twice until Francona.

I didn't have the first set of data given me in question form (I read it on-line)...but since--in my post--I had announced the Sox were third and figured the Yankees were a gimme for first I'd spoilerize the middle team in case there was anyone who wanted to challenge themselves to think it through. That's all.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hey, Patrick!

I know time is running out, but this 9 of 11 win streak the Braves is putting on to stay oh-so-close in the NL East has been pretty darn impressive.

LewB

Screenwriter
The pen is mightier than the sword. And the asterisk is the mightiest thing to ever come out of a pen. The asterisk usually leads you to the small print where you find out that the BIG print was just a bunch of crap :thumbsdown:

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member

Well, if the Braves don't get to the post-season, I would like to see Chipper bring home the batting title. But their winning streak has made the last 2 weeks palatable. San Diego is just not cooperating...

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
Phillies win 5-2 and Mets blow 5-0 lead and lose 9-6 to Washington. NL East is down to 1 game.

LETS GO PHILLIES!!!!
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Nimrod

Grip
Real Name
Tony
The Filthy Met Fans here at work are in "PANIC" :laugh: Mode right now.

*how great would that be? Mets missing the playoffs*

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the link.

I've always liked Go Cubs Go and I vividly remember it from 1984. It is a nice touchstone for some wonderful memories.

When they started playing it again on the broadcasts this year it was a pleasant surprise.

I was glad to find the single can be purchased from iTunes so even though I'm not a big fan of iTunes because of the low bit rates for this song it was acceptable.

Now I play it on the home stereo after most Cubs victories.

Yes it can be considered cheesy but for the target audience it is great.

Now if they can only close out the Central and get into the playoffs.

Nimrod

Grip
Real Name
Tony

Yankee's.

*Discalimer* I was a Met Fan till 1986.
When when they got rid of Ray Knight I punched out = That action Started a series of events that the Mets have never recovered.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks