What's new

2007 at the Box Office (1 Viewer)

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon
Thanks for those numbers, Terry.

For all the complaints about quality, there is no denying that 2007 was a stellar year for box office grosses. We had four $300 million films and 11 $200 million films.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
No problem Tarkin. By the way, the four $300 million-plus earners, as well as the eleven $200 million performers are both industry records.

Adam, the same method is used as with other films. The actual numbers are a little different, but very much in the neighborhood. Since they are so close I used the averages, as well as the fact that I sort of had a "lazy moment" and didn't feel like digging out the "hard" numbers.

Here are the actual figures...

"Toy Story" 50.2 million admissions
"A Bug's Life" 39.6 million admissions
"Toy Story 2" 55.2 million admissions
"Monster's, Inc." 45.2 million admissions
"Finding Nemo" 59.2 million admissions
"The Incredibles" 42.1 million admissions
"Cars" 37.5 million admissions
"Ratatouille" 30.8 million admissions

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
wow, that's very revealing. toys and fish i understand, but cars is surprising. it sounds like it's all under the same category.

i think i thas to do with "CG-fatigue" 2much competition for the later movies vs. early movies. in the beginning there was little competition and they gobbled up all the movies. but they never pushed the "pixar" brand, just "Disney", so what happens is people thought Disney was the one that made it good, so when movies like Chicken Little, Robinsons, etc. all came along that burned them. just my opinion of course =P.

i wonder if pixar has officially closed the DIsney CG dept.?

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
that's why i asked the question. there are still some leftovers movies/ideas from Disney's own CG dept.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
From what I understand, John Lassater completely took over the animation department (including upcoming CG animated projects) and made several changes. Projects were either dumped or sent back to the "drawing board" for further work.

Disney will be releasing non-Pixar CG animated fare, but Lassater is treating these projects (thankfully) as if they were from Pixar. He intends on these movies being every bit as good as the ones done under the Pixar brand.

Still, at the end of the day, most of the Disney's CG animated theatrical releases will be from Pixar.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i feel as if lasseter's influence is more of a studio head. would a film like Enchanted have been made pre-pixar era? i'm not so sure. people are feeling like the pixar&disney mix is creating a LOT of synergy, but i'm just speculating of course. =).

Greg Layton

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg Layton
Here's a youtube clip created by Matt Shapiro that sums up the dramas from 2007 pretty well. The song playing in the background is “Falling Slowly” by Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova from the movie Once (an incredible soundtrack, btw.) I could only count 3 or 4 movies that I hadn't seen yet.

YouTube - 2007: A Year for DRAMA

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
There's a clip at 3:16. It looks like Kristen Bell and (someone who looks like) Casey Affleck. Do you know what movie that is?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks