What's new

2007-2008 NFL season discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Umenyiora is out 2 months
Eli is out a minimum of a month but a PFT.com rumor seemed to indicate he is gone for the year.
And Brandon jacobs is done for 3-5 weeks.

Combine that with the Jets gets pummelled, the Eagles blowing it again it and it's a recipe for some serious football downerville feeling around NYC unless you are a Patriots fan of course.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
I'm going to sound like Captain Obvious, but it appears the next winner of the Super Bowl will either be the Patriots or Colts again. :rolleyes

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Does Boller have naked pix of Billick's wife ? Never seen a coach with such blind faith in the passing performance of a proven mediocre QB.

7 snaps from inside the 5 and how many were poorly thrown passing plays ? Congrats to Cincy's pressure.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Kirk,
To be honest Baltimore shouldn't have even been in that game.

and Casey will smile, JaMarcus Russell signed his deal. 6 yrs 68 million.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I mentioned to everyone that Indy/NE WILL BE the Super Bowl. Whenever they meet in the playoffs. Nobody in the NFC looks to be able to challenge the Pats, Colts, or Chargers. And probably not even the Steelers.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I think Paul is correct, that it happens all the time. Some ex-football players on the radio here in Boston have said as much. It's just that the Pats may have been stupid enough to have someone doing it in plain sight. That said, I'm a Pats fan and I find it disappointing. I like to think they don't need to steal signals.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Browns trade Frye to Seattle. The Brady Quinn era gets closer to beginning in Cleveland.

However, how can Frye go from winning the starting QB job to being dumped from the roster in one half of a single game? The Browns are clueless. I think both Savage and Crennell are gone after this year -- especially after they'll get to watch Dallas draft a prime rookie with their #1 overall pick next April.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Well, it doesn't help the perception of them winning two VERY close Super Bowls. While everyone does it...once you get caught, you get punished :)

Thanks, Cleveland! Definitely top 5, probably top 3, and quite possibly #1. Enjoy Brady :)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Clueless, stupid, idiotic, moronic, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb.

Well, maybe not all that, but still, WTF?

Mind-boggling.

Talk about disarray.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to make a comment like that. :) It's a big stretch, IMO, but people will say it.

They definitely should be punished if the footage shows anything illegal. I love the Pats but I'm not a homer.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Of course it's a big stretch.

But Belichick knows every little advantage helps. I never minded that the Pats definitely go to the edges of rules to eke out an advantage. When they mugged receivers in the playoffs (well beyond what the written rules allow), good on them. They were coached to do it until the refs stopped them. And the refs never did. That is the limits of the rules, but Belichick gambled and won. This is a bit beyond that, though. And while it's not earth-shattering, and I'm sure Bill, Brady, and Vinateri can rest comfortably on their way to the Hall of Fame, it's still cheating. Where there is smoke, there is fire. Maybe some of that brilliant coaching, so far beyond what other coaches seemed capable of, occured because not all of it was actually above board. How much is "some"? We'll never know :) Probably not much more than this lame little bit of news.

But I'll still rub it in all of the Pats fans' faces who are friends of mine ;) Because I can!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Sorry to take this tangent, and we've been through this before, but how can Vinateri be considered a Hall of Fame lock? There is currently only a single kicker enshrined in Canton. IMO, a handful of clutch FG's does not make a Hall of Famer. He certainly wins the "being in the right place at the right time" lifetime achievement award, though. :)

I remember when some local sports talk radio commentator made the ridiculous statement "future Hall of Famer Jason Hanson" last season. I almost drove my car off the road. :laugh:

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I don't want to debate the merits...I don't care :) But he will make it, because those "clutch kicks" were in famously close Super Bowls, and he played for a dynasty. "Right place at the right time" describes lots of HOFers, imo. Let Emmitt Smith be drafted by the Cards out of the gate, and see what happens.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

From what I heard in the preseason, those green dots may be the precursor to just that -- allowing a defensive player to also wear a radio transmitter. The green dots were needed so the officials could keep track of who had a radio, giving those opposing the idea one less reason to vote against the measure in the future.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I think the commish is going to bring down the hammer on the Pats. He's not know to swing a small hammer. This could be VERY ugly but I agree that it's more than like an issue that happens quite a bit and the Pats are the idiots who got caught. What's scary is how bold they were to have someone on the field. You'd think they would have their mole up in the stands.

Regarding the Browns, I really hope they lose and lose out on the first pick in the draft. I wouldn't be shocked if the #1 player coming out of college next year is McFadden from Arkansas.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member

Fair enough. I prefer to delude myself into thinking that it was only a slight edge gained. Otherwise I have to deal with this sour taste in my mouth. First Harrison and HGH and now this. They deserve the punishment just for the arrogance of having a person out on the sidelines. I don't think the stealing of signals is very far out of line of what most teams do, though. They're all trying to get that edge. Why else are all the coaches covering up their mouths when they speak the calls into the headsets?

I can't wait to see what happens in the Jets/Pats rematch later this season. You think Belichick and the Pats might want to get back at the Jets for them prompting this? Can you say final score Pats 76, Jets 10 ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks