What's new

2007-2008 NFL season discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Trey Fletcher

Second Unit

Well, one of the players they "lost" got torched for all 3 of Manning's TD's. Their defense certainly seems to have more speed than last year.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Pigskin Pat predicts... (with appologies to Pete Franklin)

Indy over New Orleans (I already picked that one in an earlier post.)
Denver over Buffalo
Cleveland over Pittsburgh
Philadelphia over Green Bay
Kansas City over Houston
Jacksonville over Tennessee
Minnesota over Atlanta
New England over NY Jets
St. Louis over Carolina
Miami over Washington
Oakland over Detroit
Chicago over San Diego
Seattle over Tampa
Dallas over Giants
Baltimore over Cincinnati
San Francisco over Arizona

Thank God I'm not betting because I would be broke.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Well, the Browns certainly started off with a bang! Four penalties on ONE play (punting on 4th down on the 1st series). Holding, holding, illegal formation, and one last thing that I didn't catch.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Interesting movie news...Michael Mann is responsible for the Nike Zoom ads. The LT "Quick is deadly" ad from the pre-season, and the new Steven Jackson/Shawne Merriman ad set to LotM music. Pretty swank. I wish he'd direct a film, but I did like both of those ads. That is something ;)

Based on the first week so far, we know the Pats are great, the Colts are great, and the Browns are terrible (and the Steelers a bit better).

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher

And the Raiders FINALLY score an offensive TD. 17-7 Lions 3rd Quarter. Janokowski has 3 missed FG's. :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher

TOUCHDOWN RAIDERS!!!!!! Oakland 21 Detroit 20

What a turn around for the Silver & Black.
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Go Raiders!!!

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Scott, the Lions passing game will be good this year. The running game, well...errmmm...so anyway.

Ronald Curry having a big game!

I must remember though, that 21 points against the Lions D isn't the same as 21 points against Baltimore.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Oh, and Scott, the Raiders aren't unfamiliar with snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

I will say this, I thought this game might set football back several decades but that has not happened.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I don't know whether to be encouraged or discouraged about the way the Chargers won. I can think they hung in tough and got over a bad non-call (the Bear offsides on the goal-line) and still won. Or the offense was anemic. LT couldn't gain a yard and the only receiver catching balls with Gates. Not one of Rivers better games.

The defense held the Bears to 3 points, that's gotta be a plus. But there's a fine line between a Bear running back hanging on to the ball instead of fumbling it. It seemed that if the Chargers didn't sack Grossman, they didn't put any pressure on him. Very few knockdowns or hurries.

You gotta respect a player like LT, he's basically shutdown for most of the game, but is still involved in both touchdowns.

I think if there was a competition for the team that has the least home field advantage, the Chargers would be at or near the top. The weather is almost always temperate, visiting players gotta love that. Even when what is probably the most talented team in franchise history is playing, SD fans are just not as passionate as fans in other cities. I don't remember them every being referred to as the 12th man. SD will never have a dome, so there won't ever be the extreme noise problem fans can create. Today, it seemed like there were as many Bear fans as Charger fans. I've seen that happen with the Steelers and other teams.

I think they sold all but about a 1,000 seats as season tickets and the individual seats are gone too. That only happens when you're excited about the home team, right? Why buy seasons tickets to root for the visitors? I think part of the problem is there are a lot of non-natives now living in San Diego.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
So I'm listening to Tiki Barber after the Dallas/Giants game and, worst...analyst...ever. He bashes his former team/coach/ QB very publicly in the media last week and blames them for his loss of love for the game, but while addressing the needs of the Giants during his post-game comments, he often and very deliberately in his remarks uses the words "we" and "our team" as if he's still a loyal part of the team. Please exit the booth Tiki. You were overrated as a RB, and not much better in the booth.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Amen Kevin.
I can't think of the last time I saw someone who was presented as an 'analyst' speaking as if he was still part of the team he is analyzing !??!
Go back to the Today Show, put on your apron, and pretend to make cookies for the morning mush brains.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Really painful watching the Eagles lose, shooting themselves in the foot way too many times with penalties.

But they were screwed by a bad call, which led to a Packers touchdown.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Well, Casey, I guess someone had to win that game. The Lions tried to give it away, but the Raiders would have none of it. I think we'll have a better idea of how good (or bad) Detroit is after the next two games -- both at home versus Minnesota and Chicago. They should be able to pass on the Vikings, but the team's inability to run the ball is going to hurt them. They couldn't control the ball after getting the lead against a mediocre Oakland team.

The NFC North standings are upside down after the first week. Minnesota, GB and Detroit are tied for first, and the Bears are all alone in last place. Of course, it's only Week 1 and things will change. It's just odd to see, though.

Cleveland is well on its way to earning the #1 overall draft pick for the Cowboys. Of course, the Falcons will give them a run for their money.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
The Lions did show me a no quit attitude yesterday that was something new that hasn't been there for quite a few years. Also, they did total over 100 yards on the ground, more than the Raiders. The defensive front four was pretty darn good and basically sealed the game. I think this team will be much improved over last year, if that turns into many more wins or not I don't know. The offense will be a load with four legit wide receivers and a couple of good tight ends.

I really feel bad for the Bills player and hope that he may some day walk again. Were there actually any defensive athletes on the field for the Sunday night game? What a shoot out for the first game of the season for the teams.

Go Lions, your undefeated, enjoy it while it lasts.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Cowboys vs Giants turned out to be a shootout and a war of attrition.

The Cowboys lost Nose Tackle Jason Ferguson for the season with a torn bicep.

The Giants are without Eli Manning(but not for long), Osi Umenyora, Kevin Dockery(special teams player) and Brandon Jacobs.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Looks like the Giants could be without both Jacobs and Manning for awhile. ESPN's Clayton is reporting that Eli has a separated shoulder. The Giants are denying the report, so we'll have to wait to see.

If these injuries linger, it may be the final nail in Tom Coughlin's coffin.

Hmmmn... "Coughlin's Coffin". That has quite a ring to it. :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks