What's new

2007-2008 NFL season discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I wouldn't be surprised to see Donovan Darius end up in Detroit. Millen's had an interest in him for a few years, and the Lions are very thin at safety with Bullocks being put on IR.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
Woohoo! Bring on the regular season! I got my new plasma panel right after the Super Bowl last winter, so Thursday night will be the first real NFL game on that sweet screen. NO vs. IND, at that! It should be more fun than my Lions' first game-two bad teams, but the Raiders' defense still makes it a bad matchup for the good (so to speak) guys.

There's still a little time to join one or both of the HTF pick 'em leagues listed above. The ESPN Pigskin Pick 'em league is Home Theater Forum and the password is OAR. It's a prime opportunity to feed the reigning (or should I say perennial?) champion some humble pie.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
He ain't going to play this season regardless, unless 3 guys get injured and last year's bad line play aside, it isn't likely.

I have said for years I don't like the NFL system for rookie wages because you give so much money to guys who have done nothing, and if your top pick turns out to be a bust...well then you're back picking high, spending big money on another "Phenom" and a series of those can eventually screw up your salary cap.

That's why I appreciated the teams stance even if it made them look inept for having the top pick and not getting him signed on time. Sure, its better that they sign him even before the draft, but with him missing camp, the good thing is now there will be less pressure for the team to play him year one.

BTW, I'm convinced the Raiders line will cut their sack totals by at least 50% this year if for no other reason than they're not using the 7 step rop and QB's aren't instructed to hold the ball until guys get open. Yeah, last year's coaching staff was really, really bad.

betooz

Agent
Real Name
Chris

While I will grant you that Russell has not faced an NFL quality pass rush, this is in the teams best interest. You have freaking McCown starting and Culpepper is not the answer. I see a baptism by fire for Russell mid-season, or more likely, being thrown out in the deep end of the pool before you know how to swim. Personally I loved him at LSU but this is the NFL.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have to agree with Casey on Russell -- he doesn't see the field this season except in mop-up duty unless there are injuries at QB. He missed the entire preseason, and as the #3 QB will see very little practice time during the regular season. There just isn't the time available for him to get prepared to start. He missed his opportunity for this season when he missed all of training camp.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Maybe that will be the best thing for him. He'll be able to observe the action and learn from it without getting the stuffing knocked out of him.

Edit: I forgot there is a game tonight. I'll be conservative and take the Colts.

I haven't really thought out how teams will finish this year so I'll wait until later in the week to make my guesses. The only prediction I will make right now is that the Pats will not win it all this year.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I think the Saints are going to have a great year and they could win it tonight, but at home I think Indy holds the advantage as long as they aren't too distracted by that new banner hanging from the rafters.

tyler payne

Second Unit
Real Name
tyler payne
Week 1 Picks
Indy over New Orleans
Denver over Buffalo
Cleveland over Pittsburgh
Philly over Green Bay
Kansas City over Houston
Jacksonville over Tennessee
Minnesota over Atlanta
Jets over New England
St. Louis over Carolina
Miami over Washington
Detroit over Oakland
Chicago over San Diego
Seattle over Tampa
Giants over Dallas
Cincy over Baltimore
Arizona over San Francisco

You may now laugh

tyler

Alex-C

Screenwriter
I too was surprised at the Saints lack of production after halftime. Maybe that is a testament to the Colts D who really showed their stuff in last season's playoffs.
I really thought the Saints had a lot of weapons, but 31-0 in the second half !??!
Goes to show, preseason doesn't prove shit.
Also, I think the AFC is still far superior to the NFC. ([sarcasm]big surprise![/sarcasm]

And how about that Colts schedule...no real test until November...NOVEMBER ! (hosting the Pats) and they finish the season with @Oakland, Houston and Tennesse at home ! I realize the Colts went 9-0 to start last season....they will definitely get a bye this year.

P.S. Speaking of Raider QBs....I can't believe Tuiasosopo is #3 in New York ?!?!? WTF ? He sucked, for all time, in Oakland. I dont care how well he did in Washington !

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I know the RCA Dome is a home advantage, but Indy really laid the wood to the Saints. It's only one game, but I do think it rattled the Chargers and Pats fans a bit :) Much like the Colts don't want to go to Foxboro in January, I don't think the Pats want to go to Indy. The third team in the trio of AFC powerhouses looked mighty good last night.

I was hoping for a better game. Either the Saints were flat, the Colts improved, or the NFC is truly weak. Probably a bit of each.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Didn't the Saints have a poor record season before last? The Saints wouldn't be the first team to have a great year that was out of character for the team. I'm not convinced they are for real just yet.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
The Saints completely revamped their offense and coaching staff between the year before last and last year. You can't really use that as a comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks