What's new

2007-2008 NFL season discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Scott,
Here's my preseason picks:
NFC North: Chicago
NFC South: New Orleans
NFC East: Dallas
NFC West: San Fran.

Wildcard: Philly and St Louis
NFC Champ: Dallas

AFC East: New England
AFC West: San Diego
AFC South: Indy
AFC North: Cincinnati
Wildcard: Pittsburgh & New York Jets

AFC Champ: San Diego(won my coinflip with NE)
SB Champ: Dallas

1st draft pick(Ie worst team): Oakland.

I'd love to see Cleveland be the worst team obviously. I think it would seal the deal for where Darren McFadden will go. I think he is the #1 overall pick.

Jim_F

Screenwriter

It's not just you. Both you and Adrian Peterson look funny in a Minnesota Vikings uniform.

Who wouldn't?

(Sorry, I couldn't resist)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I'm still not ready to make any season picks, we still have 2 meaningless games left to play for guys to get hurt in after all.

I'll sign up for the leagues on Yahoo and ESPN when I feel a little less lazy.

I'll say this about the Raiders, they're sort of caught in an interesting position. They've got a very good and possibly great defense and if you can upgrade your offense to the point where it is merely horrible as opposed to flat out unwatchable then you can improve yourself by at least 4 to 5 games. However, I don't really see that any of the other teams in the AFC West have regressed all that much in the talent department though I think going from Marty to Norv was a giant leap back in the coaching department for the Chargers.

I can't really do division by division breakdowns because with other work I just really don't know what's going on. Yeah, I know about Detroit and Dallas and a few other teams because of the fans here. I also know about Cincinnati because Arrests seem to go public pretty quick (Only kidding Tyler!)

I lean toward Atlanta and Cleveland being the worst in the league. Minnesota is going to be in trouble and I can't wait. But other than those things I don't really know that I could offer much more.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Actually, I think that Kansas City will slip quite a bit in the AFC West. They made the playoffs last season, but they continue to lose offensive linemen, Larry Johnson's still not in camp, and they may be breaking in a new, young QB. I think the Chiefs will struggle this year.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I watched some of the first half of the MNF game last night. One fact that was mentioned that I found quite amazing -- all six of Indy's offensive skill position starters are former Colts first round draft choices. That includes QB Manning, RB Addai, WR's Harrison, Wayne and Gonzales, and TE Clark. That's some very fine drafting!

Compare that with Matt Millen's first round picks in Detroit. QB Harrington, WR Rogers and WR Mike Williams have all been failures and are no longer on the team.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Larry Johnson signs his extension 5 yrs 45 million with 19 of it guaranteed. It would appear that the Chiefs won that game of chess. Johnson wanted closer to 30 which is what LT got.

Also Jeremiah Trotter was cut by the Eagles.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I just saw the Leftwich news on ESPN and was going to post it here, but James beat me to it.

While I thought Leftwich looked poor in the one preseason game I saw him in (against the Packers), I'm still surprised by this move. There are a lot of teams that could use an experienced backup QB, so he will not be unemployed long. Considering the garbage the Lions have backing up Kitna, Millen would be on the phone with Byron's agent if he was smart. Of course, that means he'll never pick up the phone. :rolleyes

I bet Leftwich ends up in Atlanta. The Falcons have no one backing up Harrington.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I think my least favorite part of the NFL season is the final cut because sometimes you see guys go that have been with your favorite team for a long time and its hard to think of your favorite team without them.

Zack Crockett is one of those for me 8 years of service and for a time he was the best short-yardage man in the whole league.

Someone will pick him up and he will contribute.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Wade Wilson is next name to emerge in Signature Scandal

He reportedly received both steroids and HGH while an assistant coach with the Bears from 2004-2006.

The story suggests something I mentioned yesterday and have believed to be the case for awhile now which is that more people connected to the NFL will eventually come out.

I also believe that the NBA and MLB will be hit with this as well.

And I'll be documenting the whole thing.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Wilson gets 5 game suspension

His explanation is he took the drugs to improve his quality of life as a diabetic for 20 plus years.

Honestly, I have a hard time buying that because if that's the case why did he have to get the drugs from an internet pharmacy in the first place? Surely, if the medical purpose was legit, he would've had no trouble finding a local place that would fill his script.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I have no idea what the Chargers will do this year, but I've gotta disagree with this statement. All you have to do is look at Marty's career to realize he can win regular season games, but he sucks in post-season. He's never won a conference championship and has seldom been in the conference championship game. With the Chargers he got to the playoffs twice and lost at home both times without winning a post-season game.

It's fun to win games in the regular season, but most fans are rooting for their team to win it all, and I firmly believe Marty can't do that.

BTW, Norv was the offensive co-ordinator who installed their current offense several years ago.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Marty wins games in the regular season and loses in the playoffs.

Norv has made the playoffs once, and didn't light the world on fire himself.

I don't see how the latter is better than the former.

Great coordinator, terrible coach.

The criticism of Norv has always been that he is too easy on his players.

I will grant you that this is the most talented team he has ever had the chance to coach, but that doesn't change the fact that he's always been more of a follower than a leader.

Oh, and this has nothing to do with his time in Oakland. Those who posted regularly in the NFL threads back then will remember that I hated his hire from the start and only got behind the move when the season started and you have to put your hatred of a hire aside to route for the team. I hated it when the Raiders hired him for exactly the same reasons the Chargers did accept now I've got 2 more years of proof.

I'll also say this, his time in Oakland didn't provide any new criticisms of him as a head coach, just reenforced the old ones. So if you're looking for a positive comment from me on Turner the head coach, that's as close as you're ever going to get.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
If Turner is so good then Dallas would have taken him instead of Phillips.

Some surprising cuts today:
The Raiders cut Donovan Darius.
The Broncos cut Jimmy Kennedy who they traded for this offseason.
The Patriots cut alll but 2 draft picks and put Richard Seymour on IR for 6 weeks. With him out and Harrison out, their defense is looking mighty weak.
The Cowboys cut Aaron Glenn.
The Buccaneers kept 4 QB's.

I also saw where the Ravens are looking at Leftwich to be the heir apparanet after McNair hangs them up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks