What's new

2006 NFL Offseason Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
The Redskins land Receiver Antwaan Randle El.

I bet Al Saunders can't wait to come up with some good stuff for him. What a coaching staff they have in DC.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I’m both a Cowboy fan and a TO hater. I can only assume that Parcells believes that he can handle TO—and to be fair he has managed some pretty edgy guys with big time talent. Further Dallas won a few rings with guys who had their off-the-field problems. Perhaps they think it worth the risk.

If they sign Owens, I predict an initial uproar that will disappear the first time he has a big game.

If he has a big month, his antics on the Star will be forgotten.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I give this word of warning to the Cowboys or any other team bold enough to presume that their coach and their locker room can handle T.O.

Pride goeth before destruction.

Sure, T.O. might be that missing piece to get a team to the Super Bowl, but wait until he becomes unhappy, and he will become unhappy, no matter where he ends up. Just look at what T.O. did to the Eagles last season.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
He'll go unhappy quickly because IMHO they do not pass the ball that heavily. He would be the feature receiver but they'll use TO as bait to run the ball(something Parcells does alot) and spread the field out. Him and Terry Glenn would be a formidable combination. That would mean that Keyshawn Johnson would be gone. TO is no doubt a game breaker but he is a team wrecker too. Now OTOH, Parcells has coached some of the most oddball team wrecking guys so far like:

Terry Glenn: who is mostly a model citizen under Parcells
Keyshawn: Ditto.
and you might throw in LT.
Fans forget when you are winning. Ultimately I think this entire deal is about Parcells and his desire to win a championship thus cementing his HOF birth. His ego might be the real issue here. I'm like Lew in that I'm a Cowboy fan and a TO hater. I want my team to win but at what cost?

Randel El is a good signing by the Redskins. I think he'll work out well there but they way overpaid for him. 7 yrs 31 million??! for a guy that had 35 catches last year...

I saw the details of the Hutchinson contract. 7 yrs 49 million with 16 million in guarantees. That would make him the highest paid guard ever. Larry Allen who is over the hill is being paid ~ 6 million.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Redskins vastly overpaid for Randle El, who had a mediocre season after being promoted to the Steelers #2 WR upon the departure of Plaxico Burress. Chalk this up as another free agent mistake by Daniel Snyder, IMO.

The Cowboys will have to enlarge their locker room to fit the heads of both TO and Meshawn inside. :laugh:

Parcells is already a lock for the HoF.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Interesting, Parcells signs TO...the Cowboys win the SB, Parcells retires and leaves the next coach to deal with the problem.

Its just a theory.

Randle El won't have to be the number 2 guy in DC necessarily, with Loyd, Moss and Patton already there. Plus, they can introduce some trickery in to the offense. But, did they overpay? Of course they did, but it wouldn't be the Redskins if they hadn't.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I have been so impressed with the splash that the Lions have made in Free Agency....oh wait, no I haven't. Hey Millen, get off your ass and do something. And no Shawn Bryson doesn't count.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I'm not that concerned yet about the Lions lack of signing free agents, Brandon. This year's crop is not very strong in the areas where Detroit is looking for help. There were some quality centers, but the Lions already screwed up that position by signing Dominic Raiola to a 4 year contract last offseason. They need an offensive tackle and guard, but other than Hutchinson, nothing's happened there yet -- and I expect Seattle to match Minnesota's offer sheet, anyway, so the Vikings are just wasting their time.

I'd rather they show some restraint than over pay for a mediocre #3 receiver, ala Washington with Randle El and themselves a few years ago with Az Hakim. Look at some of Minnesota's other signings, for example: $14 million for Chester Taylor and they also signed placekicker Ryan Longwell. Yippee.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Scott, word is that Seattle might not be able to match that offer-sheet given some rather unusual provisions contained in it.

It looks like in this instance, the Vikings accidentally did something smart.

And as I said, of course Washington overpaid for Randle El, its Washington.

The Raiders subtracted Kerry Collins and lost Ted Washington, so they will be better on offense and worse on defense.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Reskins overpaid for Archuleta as well. 5 mill a year and 10 million in guarantees. I wonder what Roy Williams(dallas) will think he is worth when is comes available?

In other news the Titans signed LB Thorton.
Not an outrageous theory.

Regrading trickery and Randle El. I expect some but what will happen in Pittsburgh. They are losing all their trick players. Or maybe this isn't a bad thing?

Regarding TO and Meshawn, Meshawn will be gone unless he lowers his cap #. Chances of that happening are awfully remote especially with the Redskins overpaying for Randle El. His 31 catches = 31 million will make Keyshawn think twice.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
I'm convinced the 'Skins are doing all this solely to spite the Bears. It's widely known that Chicago was interested in both Randle El and Archuletta, and Washington snatched them both away with exorbitant contracts. Oh well, maybe it'll allow someone like Antonio Bryant to slip under the radar.

Seriously though, how can the Redskins afford to pay all these guys? They were already close to the cap before the FA signings...

Trey Fletcher

Second Unit

Yes, the Cards had the money James was looking for, but we also met his other criteria. We're a warm weather city (just barely ;)), our new stadium has natural grass, and we run the same offense as Indy. Actually, a funny part of the presser was when James mentioned Denny running coach Dungy's offense, then he paused, and said that Dungy was of course running Green's offense.

As for the KILL EDGE on every down, it's going to be fun to watch other teams try. We have two pro-bowl receivers who each had over 100 catches last year. If teams actually have to account for someone in the backfield, they'll just be that much more open, and vice versa.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Trey,
Have their improved their line though? Unless you got Barry Sanders back there you need a line to block and open holes.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
That's an interesting clause in Hutchinson's contract, Casey. It seems to me, though, such a clause is rather unfair in this case, since it's based on comparing a situation that is not equal between the two teams. What would prevent, for an extreme example, the Lions putting a clause in a tender offer making a contract guaranteed "if the team did not play half its games (1) indoors and (2) within 5 miles of Canada"?

Users who are viewing this thread