What's new

2006-2007 NFL Playoffs Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Well, I went 4-0 with my predictions last weekend, so I'll stay with the predictions I made in post #1 of this thread. Eagles, Bears, Ravens and Chargers this weekend. The law of averages say I'll go 0-4 this weekend. :laugh:

I think the two AFC games will be quite good. The NE-SD game is the one I'm most looking forward to watching. In the NFC, the Bears are beatable, but Seattle is not the team to do it. The Seahens are a shadow of the team that made it to the Super Bowl last year.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
When I watched the replays of the kick, I noticed the ball was so shiny and slick looking it almost looked like it was waxed. It's just one of those things you take for granted once too often.

Sports if full of simple plays that got botched. BTW, in the replays you can see the kicker trying to block the guy who made the tackle. If the kicker makes that block, I think Romeo at least gets a first down and probably scores. Unfortunately, he blocked like a kicker.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Scott,
I too went 4-0 last weekend (straight up). I didnt pick vs. the spread.
This weekend my straight up picks are Ravens, Saints, Bears and.....ugh, um...{wait, lemme cosult my stock picking monkey}....Chargers. I have gone back and forth on this pick all week.
Vs. the spread, I say, Ravens -4, Saints -5, Seahawks +8.5 and Patriots +4/5.

That Pats-Charger game is a tough one. I guess the Chargers are the superior team in every facet except QB and Coach, which are huge.
I heard this today and agree: The Chargers must destroy the Pats; come out 5 wide, and not rely on LDT. If they try to rely on their MVP, I think they'll lose. They can't play conserative Martyball who has a history of teams that play tight in playoff games. If Belicheck can make it a 4th quarter game, I'd go with the Pats. There are so many interesting angles to this game, but I'll stick with the Bolts' defense as the focus. At times they have been quite good, and if they can get to Brady, that would be the key to victory.
The Jets played well, quite well IMHO, but Brady was spot on and impressive. I felt like I was watching a top surgeon perform surgery on that defense. The short precise passes, 4,6 12 yds a pop, all the way down the field. Very impressive.
On the other hand, who the heck knows.
This'll be one of the more fascinating Divisional matchups in recent memory.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
As much as I want to pick the Chargers to win, I'm afraid Marty ball will once again, will get this team eliminated.

And I can't go against the Eagles, who I will pick against the Saints. Oh when the Saints go marching home! :D

I like to see the Colts win, mainly because I can't stand Brian Billick. But they'll choke once again.

The Bears over the Seahawks. Got to go with the home team here. :)

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
How bout them Saints :)
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Amazing how all the pundits keep saying how the Colts defense can't stop anyone, however , despite Manning's underwhelming performance, they're going to the conference championship and the Chiefs and Ravens are not.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover

It is a GREAT story....truly remarkable what they have done this year. Regardless of what happens next week, The Saints should be a contender the next few years.

Congrats to the Colts. Played very tough and physical in beating the Ravens.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I was glad to see the Saints win (it's a great story), but Philly's clock management at the end was the worst I've seen in a postseason game since Philly's Super Bowl loss two years ago. After recovering the Bush fumble with 3:18 left, they ran only three plays in the next 1:20. After their first down screen pass, Westbrook was knocked woosy, and yet they called a run play to him on 2nd down and 11. What horrible clock management and playcalling -- not to mention the highly questionable decision to punt the ball away.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I'm still stunned that they punted on 4th and 15 with 1:50 left. I know, it's a long shot, but they hadn't held Deuce all day. And even if the colts get a field goal, it's still a 1 TD game. Punting at that moment was (to me) like raising the white flag.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member

The Colts?

:)

Anywho, that hit on Reggie Bush was sick. But he still got up somehow. BTW, I think Petrino will use Vick as something other than quarterback, but that's my prediction.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Wow, Chicago vs. Seattle was a hell of a game. I was rooting for the Seahawks, but congrats to the Bears. It seemed like a battle of the equals out there and Chicago was just able to push a little further.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Should be a great one next week with the Bears & Saints. I think the cold and the field (looks rather splotchy :))....will be able to neutralize some of the Saint's weapons.

But right now, I think the Saints win in a very close one.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
ERIC PARKER IS GOING TO LOSE THIS GAME FOR THE CHARGERS ! GET HIM OUT OF THERE !

Schottenheimer is losing control of his team. They are in panic mode right now, and the Pats can smell that like a great white can smell a drop of blood in the ocean from miles away.

Chargers are going to lose this game because of Marty...they are playing too tight, too many mental mistakes going unchecked. He needs to call a 20 sec timeout and center his team.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Two fantastic games today!

A friend asked me a couple weeks ago who I thought who would be in the Super Bowl: I said New England vs. New Orleans, and New England would win yet again. Looks like it may happen.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
What a hell of a game between New England and The Chargers. Great ending, and Brady does it yet again. I hope they beat Indy next week.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
I am sorry, but Marty performed exactly as expected. They dominated in the first half and when they came out in the second half, they were a completely different team. Tons of mistakes, stupid penalties, and how about that obvious wasted challenge on the interception fumble (another STUPID mistake, just freaking go down after you make the catch), that timeout could have been used to get one more play, and maybe a few yards closer in that last drive.

It was an obvious fumble after the interception and Marty challenged it.

I dont wanna hear about execution not being the coaches fault.

They puckered up and played like absolute crap in the second half.

Way too many dropped passes on the Chargers side. I dont know what bothers me more, the fact that they played like Jekyll and Hyde from the 1st to the 2nd half, or the fact that I knew this was going to happen and it played out exactly as I predicted.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think Brady is now 12-1 in the playoffs. The Colts have homefield advantage, and a defense that's playing really well, but against a spread offense of the Pats, will it be enough?

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Hats off to the Patriots. Year after year, they show great poise in these big games. It will REALLY mess with Manning's head if he fails against them yet again. Marty Schottenheimer seems destined to be one of those coaches who just can't take a team all the way.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin

It just seemed as if they didn't want to win.

There was no reason even to intercept that ball; it was 4th down and they would have had it at the original line of scrimmage if he had just knocked it down.

How many balls did Parker drop, not counting his fumble on the punt return (which he should have tried to fall on to recover)?

Head-butting someone on the Patriots after stopping them on 4th down was another smart move. That, and unnecessary roughness on an extra point?

I don't know if it's the coach's fault, or just that the team didn't have the character to win an important game.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Congrats to the Patriots and their fan base. You guys earned it and I hope you humiliate Peyton Manning in his house.

I dont even dislike Bellicheck and Brady and the rest. I respect them a lot.

I cannot stand Marty. I hope they axe him (which is quite possible).

Parker made a few good plays, especially that one catch on the last drive, but he was amped, too much, dropped some passes early on, then basically fell down in the backfield on a reverse with room in front of him,

On his kick run backs, he just seemed like a rag doll when hit. Totally plastered that it looked like he could lose control of the ball at any moment. Imagine the opposite of Deuce.

Even though I posted that anti-Parker comment, I was saying that in my house all through the first half, and then he goes and fumbles the punt catch, and to add insult to injury, he doesnt even jump on it when he had the chance.

You know, they talk about getting the ball into the hands of your playmakers (Bush, Tomlinson, Tiki, et. al.) but there is a converse corollary to that. You gotta watch out for the goats and keep them from screwing up your game.

How about that int by the Bolts where the guy ran all the way across the field. Just fall down for Christ's sake. The only thing that is going to happen by running across the Patriot receivers is a potential fumble, and that is exactly what happened later in the game. Int and he tries to make a run, and he fumbles. That and the stupid, stupid mistakes that they made.

I am speechless.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks