What's new

2005 Foreign, Alternative and Independent Films (1 Viewer)

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
The Syrian Bride :star: :star: :star: :star: out of :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

From the Washington DC International Film Festival. This movie from Israel focuses on a family of Druze, a religious group that doesn't quite fit in with anyone else in the Middle East, living in the Israeli-occupied territory of the Golan Heights, the mountainous region that borders Syria. The titular character, from a large family in a very close-knit small town/village, is engaged to a Syrian TV star, whom she's never actually met, via an arranged marriage. But once she crosses the militarized border into Syria, she and her family won't be able to visit each other anymore, since the two countries are still officially in a state of war.

The story unfolds in various directions with several interlocking subplots, via an ensemble cast. Lots of themes: tensions between traditionalist patriarchs and their offspring, male-female roles, living between different national identities without really belonging to either of them. It's not the most visually interesting movie, although the landscapes are quite pretty. The strength of this film is in the character situations and the very good cast, particularly the France-based Israeli-Arab actress Hiam Abbass, who essentially has the lead role as the bride's older sister. The director, Eran Riklis, was at the screening and said that they got a US distributor for a release starting this coming October. So, keep it in mind for later in the year, if you get a chance to see it.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Clean :star: :star: out of :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Another DC International Film Fest entry. Directed by Olivier Assayas, and starring his ex-wife, Hong Kong superstar Maggie Cheung, as a washed up singer/drug addict. She's trying to straighten up enough to be with her young son, who's in the custody of her father-in-law, played by Nick Nolte, who is also struggling with his wife's deteriorating health.

Pretty disappointed with this one. The story is only compelling in a few small parts, mainly those involving Nolte because of his strong performance. Other supporting characters come and go without much meaningful involvement. And even though I've worshipped at Maggie's shrine ever since In The Mood for Love came out in 2000, I wasn't impressed with her role in this one (unlike the Cannes 2004 jury, which awarded her best actress). Maybe it's not the right sort of character for her, but not much in it seemed to gel for me. Overall, the direction is pretty dull, nothing memorable. I did enjoy Nolte, as I mentioned, and the climactic situation between him, her, and the son is pretty involving, but then the ending just kind of fades out without much interest. Don't knock yourself out to see this one--look for The Syrian Bride instead!

Eric Howell

Stunt Coordinator
3-iron: This was my favorite film last year (slightly edging out Life Aquatic and Eternal Sunshine). It was also the first Ki-duk Kim film I’d seen, and have since been able to see “Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter,… Spring” and “The Isle”. This guy really seems to know how to put a film together and I loved all three. 3-Iron is my favorite of the ones I’ve seen, and now that it is being released in NY/LA this weekend, hopefully more people will take this opportunity to see it. I also think this film will be more accessible to film audiences since it has much more of a narrative than the other two. Owells, as usual I won’t say anything about the movie, except to say it isn’t about golf. ;)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Millions - :star::star::star::star:
04/28/2005

Were this film released last year it probably would have been tied at number 2 or 3 with The Incredibles or Finding Neverland. If ever there was a film designed to appeal to me, this was it.

This film may not work for the cynical bastards out there but a better family film than this would be a very rare thing indeed. Visually it is wonderful, inventive magical and full of a childlike awe, life and energetic innocence that is nearly transcendent. I'd only say that a few of the beats of the film are a bit tired and cliche but these are easy to pass over.

The way the saints are incorporated is just simply brilliant on every level. St. Peter's discussion is amazing, and the Martyrs of Africa was surprisingly powerful. I loved the nod to St. Francis of Asissi, and the whole, "well everyone walked everywhere in those days and he was a carpenter so he was in good shape; I don't think he'd be tired I think he'd be excited" sequence is just absolutely wonderful.

Basically the only quibble I have with the film are the old man interstitials and I think those are sort of okay anyways, but they're a bit annoying.

It's so refreshing and delightful to watch a film and have a perfect experience (even if the film wasn't perfect, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts).

With movies like this and Whale Rider and Finding Neverland and Incredibles I know there is still hope for great stories to be told for all ages without catering to a single demographic or a heavy rating.

Adam

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Burn, baby burn

A comment by one trader to others as they watch California brush fires during the height of the energy crises there, in

Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room a recently released documentary about the rise, decline and fall of that energy empire.

This is a moive with which it is hard to take exception. The facts are given with a reasonably straightforward presentation, that not only indicts Lay, Skilling and the rest, but also lays much of the blame on the unknown traders, bankers, lawyers, and accountants who helped to bring about the downfall of the company and defraud employees and stockholders.

What is worse, the audience leaves with no belief that there have been lessons learned that will prevent the same thing from happening again. Indeed quite the opposite, as former VP says at the movie's end, "it could all happen again."

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
If you've never tricked with a chick, are you sure you pick dick?

This passes for witty repartee in Eating Out, a supposed comedy based on sexual preference confusion--or certainty. Actually the movie tries to have it both ways, as the four principals (2 gay guys, one straight guy pretending to be gay and one straight girl who is attracted to gay guys) play sexual merry-go-round--although not to the point that the straight guy actually does anything active with the gay guys.

There are some funny moments with the straight guy's family, but that is not nearly enough to recommend the movie.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
If you've never tricked with a chick, are you sure you pick dick?

This passes for witty repartee in Eating Out, a supposed comedy based on sexual preference confusion--or certainty. Actually the movie tries to have it both ways, as the four principals (2 gay guys, one straight guy pretending to be gay and one straight girl who is attracted to gay guys) play sexual merry-go-round--although not to the point that the straight guy actually does anything active with the gay guys.

There are some funny moments with the straight guy's family, but that is not nearly enough to recommend the movie.

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
Murderball

I am one of the ones set straight in the opening minutes of Murderball. I thought quadriplegics had four fully non-functional limbs. In fact, to qualify for the term, one must have merely some impairment in all four limbs. This explains how we have a Paralympic "quad rugby" team documented in this film.

Murderball is minimally about being handicapped. It doesn't censor in the name of sensitivity, and so its subjects are exactly as dislikable yet inspirational as any athletes. While the story has some emotional punch, the most fun element is the lack of unconditional comraderie within this subculture. One might expect more than common sportsmanship in such a unique group, but the villian of the piece, Joe Soares, proves that wrong. He was cut from the American team and then joined the Canadian team as coach. Therefore, the American team despises him. His presense and divisive character makes one forget wheelchairs completely.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
That's how eating disorders start

Look at Me/Comme une image is an unflinching look at the literati of today's France, where the characters alternate between hurting each other with intent or with carless disregard. Lolita Cassard is the overweight daughter of famed author and publisher Étienne, who by now is married to a thin, beautiful woman only a scant few years older than Lolita.

A minor writer, Pierre Millet is noticed by Étienne and becomes successful, perhaps in part due to his musician wife Sylvia's decision to tutor Lolita and an amateur choral group after learning the identity of her father.

Sylvia is just another in a long line of those who attempt to use Lolita in order to get access to her father. Lolita in turn uses and abuses those who try to help her.

Although this seems grim, a well-crafted script and fine performances by the actors, involve the audience with all the characters, as we hope that they will overcome their individual weaknesses.

And as in real life, some do; most don't.

A surprising gem of a movie, that is enhanced by the music, most especially the ironic comments of portions of Così fan tutti, Mozart's cynical view of sex and love.

Dave Hackman

Stunt Coordinator
Winter Solstice

The story is not tricky or complicated. Not filled with unbelievable situations or tons of action. This is just a simple story told in a way that allows you the viewer the ability to pull out whatever it is inside you that has compassion for others. The more you reflect the more you’ll enjoy this movie. As you watch the film you begin to disappear from your seat and become a ghostly presence looking in on this family’s current situation unseen anticipating the outcome and becoming attached to all involved.

Jim Winters (Anthony LaPaglia) a middle-aged father of 2 teenage boys is holding down his family the best he can after the loss of his wife who died in a car accident. Gabe (Aaron Stanford) the oldest son is working at a dead end job and is ready for a new start and hopes to move from NJ to Tampa, FL. Peter a high school student has no interest on finishing school due to his current unmotivated state of existence.

Things begin to change when a new neighbor Molly Ripken (Allison Janney) moves in and helps show Jim a possibility for a new beginning not only for his oldest son but for himself and his youngest son.

No egos with these actors, all transform into their respective characters and all deliver a professional believable performance.

A

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
A person wants to be two--the State wants to become one

What would a movie by Jean-Luc Godard be without philosophical discourse? Notre musique has plenty, though not so much as to make this film difficult viewing. However, haters of Godard's late style will fine plenty with which to disagree, even though this is pretty much a straight narrative (at least after getting past the opening montage).

But perhaps reflective viewers will find the polemic difficult to fault (at least for Godard), as he goes from historical atrocities to Bosnia (this at first seems to be the movie's main thrust) to Israel and Palestine, where a young woman becomes determined to become a martyr--if only for herself.

Who is at fault? Godard provides no answers and perhaps there are none.

A thought provoking movie.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Murderball
Co-Directed by, Dana Adam Shapiro, Henry Alex Rubin

Ever heard of wheelchair rugby? Neither had I. At least I don’t think I had. Well everyone is going to be hearing about it shortly. Word is that ESPN and MTV are both on board and the film will hit theaters in July.

Murderball is an introduction to the sport of wheelchair rugby. A sport where the atheletes are strapped into their “Mad Max”-type reinforced wheelchairs with slanted wheels and metalwork in the front reminiscent of the guard on the front of a locomotive. The sport is played on a basketball court and you score by crossing the baseline with the ball (volleyball). Of course your opponent is trying to stop you by going as fast as possible and crashing his wheelchair into yours and dumping you onto the court. Make no mistake, this is a “real” sport and the atheletes take it very seriously. There is one scene that is a little uncomfortable where an athelete talks about the time he was mistaken for a Special Olympics participant.

But the sport is merely the backdrop for the human stories. Joe Soares and Mark Zupan are the key players. After years of dominating the sport Soares is not picked to play for the US team. He then goes to coach the Canadian team. Zupan and the others involved with the American team see Soares as a modern day Benedict Arnold. When Soares and Zupan aren’t doing everything they can to succeed at their sport they are simply living their lives, dealing with all the stuff we all have to deal with and some stuff we don’t.

We also get to meet other characters to a lesser degree. One of the coolest scenes in the film involves Keith who is in therapy after a motorcycle accident, you’ll know it when you see it.

Having said all that, the most moving scene for me was indeed the climactic sports scene near the end of the film. The co-directors have said that they are not sports fans, which makes it all the more remarkable that they have created a truly amazing sports film.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Me and You and Everyone We Know
Directed by Miranda July

Simply too quirky for my tastes. I really didn't care for any of the major characters and a couple of scenes went beyond what I'm able to appreciate.

I found the look of the film to be boring. This could be somewhat unfair however as I saw this at Ebertfest where many of the other films had very unique visuals.

While I didn't really like this film overall, I will say that I found myself laughing quite a bit at the more grounded and conventional humor.

Dave Hackman

Stunt Coordinator
Dust To Glory

This movie is all about the dust. This movie is all about the glory. This movie is all about the Dust and the Glory.

Yeah haw, bunch of gritty people looking to cross the Mexican Baja Peninsula in one piece. Almost all participants attack this Baja 1000 course in teams of two where each takes their turn driving. One motorcycle driver (Mike Mouse McCoy) attempts to endure the entire route solo without help. Some big names like Mario Andretti make appearances and talk about how tough and challenging it is. There are different classes of vehicles that rage from big money teams like Robbie Gordon’s utilizing ultra expensive trucks to cheap saps driving un-modified bugs. Id wait to see this on TV or rent it rather then finding a theater playing it.

After seeing this I seem to have an inner desire to tear out on the streets in my 125 horsepower car and attack turns in the rain at ridiculous speeds just to get the feel of sliding in the desert. Boy this is just the thing people fear about when their kids see films like this. Beware

Dave Hackman

Stunt Coordinator
Walk on Water

This film is open for interpretation. On one hand you have this Israeli Mossad hit man Eyal‘s (Lior Ashkenazi) attempt to locate an aging former German Nazi officer and next you have an interesting building relationship between two seemingly different men. Axel Himmelman (Knut Berger) is a young man who has arrived in Israel from Berlin Germany to visit his sister Pia (Caroline Peters). Pia hasn’t had much to do with their parents after learning of their family secret and balks at the idea of returning for their father’s birthday party. Eyal is hired as a tour guide for Axel and finds out more then he bargained for in the process.

I liked the raw almost low budget feel to it (I don’t think they had much $) and the performances were excellent. A little slow in the beginning but it picks up in the middle and looks to end fantastically but instead lingers for 5 minutes too long. I would stop the film right at Axel’s parent’s house never returning to the scene in Israel.

This film is subtitled occasionally.

I will buy it.

B

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Here are this year's Cannes Film Festival winners:

FEATURE FILMS

Palme d'Or
"The Child" (Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne, Belgium)

Grand Prix
"Broken Flowers" (Jim Jarmusch, France-U.S.)

Best Actress Award
Hanna Laslo ("Free Zone," Israel-Belgium)

Best Actor Award
Tommy Lee Jones ("The Three Burials Of Melquiades Estrada," U.S.)

Best Director Award
Michael Haneke ("Hidden," France-Austria-Germany-Italy)

Best Screenplay Award
Guillermo Arriaga ("The Three Burials Of Melquiades Estrada," U.S.)

Jury Prize
"Shanghai Dreams" (Wang Xiaoshuai, China)

SHORT FILMS

Palme d'Or
"Wayfarers" (Igor Strembitsky, Ukraine)

Special Mention
"Clara" (Van Sowerwine, Australia)

UN CERTAIN REGARD JURY

Prix Un Certain Regard
"The Death of Domnului Lazarescu" (Cristi Puiu, Romania)

Prix de L'Intimité
"Filmman" (Alain Cavalier, France)

Prix De L'Espoir
"Delwende" (S. Pierre Yameogo, Burkina Faso)

OTHER JURIES' AWARDS

Caméra d'Or Winner
"The Forsaken Land" (Vimukthi Jayasundara, Sri Lanka)
"Me And You And Everyone We Know" (Miranda July, U.S.)

Prix Vulcain de l'Artiste-Technicien (technical award)
Leslie Shatz ("Last Days," U.S.)
Robert RodriguezRobert Rodriguez ("Sin City," U.S.)

CINÉFONDATION SHORT FILM AWARD

1st Prize
"Buy It Now" (Antonio Campos, U.S.)

2nd Prize (shared)
"A Deux" (Nikolay Khomeriki, France)
"Visiting Hours" (Maya Dreifuss, Israel)

3rd Prize (shared)
"La Plaine" (Roland Edzard, France)
"Be Quiet" (Sameh Zoabi, U.S.)

~Edwin

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
There is finally a trailer for Me and You and Everyone We Know, the Camera d'Or winner and probable best movie of 2005 (sorry Brett :)).

It's not a very good trailer (it wouldn't have sold me), but at least it doesn't give away the best stuff.

www.meandyoumovie.com

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I put this in the 2004 thread since it hasn't had an official US release, but I'll go ahead and insert it here too since Lew did.

Rereading Lew's review, I realize I missed the importance of the Palestinian angle. Definitely will need to see it again.

Notre Musique - Jean-Luc Godard's latest offers powerful sentiments against war while holding out hope through our ultimate humanity and capacity for kindness. Divided into 3 sections, the first, "Hell", presents a long montage of images of war and conflict taken from stills, newsreels, video footage, and fictional films from around the world (such as Ran, Stagecoach and Richard III). A grueling record of inhumanity and our seeming need to record and recreate it that delivers a visual indictment to us all.

In the second section "Purgatory", a group of intellectual meets in the rebuilding-but-still-ruined city of Sarajevo for various talks and conferences. While the narrative as such jumps from topic to topic, and Godard himself delivers an interesting monologue about the juxtaposition of images, the throughline here seems to be that the scars of violence never heal; not exactly relevatory.

To discuss the third section would be spoiling the film's best live action moments. Godard captures our innate beauty and kindness while hinting at its fragility.

As suggested by the title, music plays a large role in the film, providing a universal artistic language for the viewer. The film certainly isn't on the level of his 60's classics, but at a time when so many of Godard's contemporaries are no longer with us, it remains a pleasure to watch this artist at work. B

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zionaesthetic
Recent bookmarks