What's new

2005 Film List (1 Viewer)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I can't think of any really violent scenes in Oldboy, I remember it as intense, but nothing like the violence "because violence is the coolest thing ever yo" Tarentino uses. Sure there's the corridor and penthouse fights, but the film didn't feel all that violent to me; really intense and impactful but not that violent. Oh wait, I'm thinking of violence as mainly actions perpetuated directly upon a person by outside means--such as fighting or beatings, not quite the more mental warfare (and its tangible results) the protagonist and antagonist wage in Oldboy. or maybe I'm just wierd.

What'd you think of 800 Bullets? I see it in your signature, and it never really had a decent release in the US.

Adam

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Robots
6 of 10

While the CGI is nice enough and the characters and setting are interesting, fun designs, the film itself really lacks a spark. Sometimes it is funny, but not nearly often enough. The problem isn't that its formula, though it is. The problem seems to be in the editing, direction and writing, all of which kill most of the comedic timing.

The film COULD have lots of great gags, but too often they are stepped on or not set up right in the first place. Maybe they were on paper and the direction is bad. Maybe they got to "film" and then were edited bad.

All I could think of was "Spies Like Us", good talent, funny situations, but cut all wrong for the jokes.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Sin City
9.5 of 10

Comic book film noir (review in official review thread). One of the best films I'll see this year, and I might yet bump it to 10 and call it one of the best I've seen in years.

Joe Kamsan

Stunt Coordinator
Finally got my 2005 list up and running this week. Assault on Precinct 13 (C+) is an update of a John Carpenter film which in turn was inspired by Howard Hawks' 'Rio Bravo'. I haven't seen Carpenter's film so I can't compare it to the 2005 film, but its a loud action packed affair (just about blew my ears out) that skimps on character development in favour of an already light storyline. Not nearly as fun as last year's Dawn of the Dead re-make (which finished in my 2004 Top Ten) but AoP13 has the guns, the body counts and the cheesy dialogue to keep action-junkies happy.

Also caught the much hyped about Korean film Oldboy. The general feeling on HTF is that this film rocks. I have to be the dissenting voice here and give it the thumbs down, despite wanting very much to like it. I'm still processing what I have just seen I have to say my feeling is pretty negative. The revenge film genre is given a fresh twist here, but the film teased me with moments of brilliance only to leave me with me rolling my eyes during the end credits. Wouldn't mind another viewing, though. Live squid, anyone? (C+)

Edit: (04-23-05) After a second viewing of Oldboy, I've bumped it up to a (B)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
My first two films of 2005 are

Sin City: I was really only impressed by Mickey Rourke in the Marv sequence. The other two are long on style but suffer from actors who can't sell Miller's hard boiled dialogue and have to simply act tough, in place of actually being tough. I kept thinking this movie would have been so much better 30 or 40 years ago with actors like Lee Marvin, Charles Bronson, Richard Widmark, etc. Rodriguez has lots of tricks in his bag when it comes to action sequences, but it is the personal confrontations that are at the heart of any noir story, and here, Rodriguez is much less successful when he has to slow down and simply film characters communicating with one another. B

Eros: B-, review in Indie/Foreign Thread.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I have a question regarding eligble film release dates.
Oldboy and Kung Fu Hustle, neither was a 2005 production, but both received their US theatrical debuts in 2005, that would make them eligible for '05 lists, correct?

Thanks.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Yep, that's the most standard way of using the 200x lists. Some people like to go with global release date, some people will count festival screenings, but I think for the most part the most popular method is to go by major US release or Oscar qualifying release (NY/LA before end of year, ramped up to other cities in JAN).

I will be putting KFHustle on my 2K5 list after I see it.

Whichever method you choose its expected that you clarify that method with your list so others know where to find your opinion on films of a certain release date, or so they know why some films did or didn't make your end of year top films list.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Updated with

Palindromes - B
Star Wars Episode III: The Revenge Of The Sith - B+

I've been struggling with putting my thoughts together to write anything about either.

Planning on a double feature of Old Boy and Crash tonight.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Sith
8.5 of 10

Like AOTC this might get downgraded on a 2nd viewing because while I found the story to be pretty solid and the overall effect to be strong, I did notice a couple of times that I was pretty annoyed as well (ugh, dialog).

At least it finally felt pretty close to a Star Wars film.

Downgraded Sin City from 9.5 to 9 also.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks