What's new

2005 Fall Schedule Thread (1 Viewer)

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
Jason, I'm wondering the same thing about Veronica Mars! I think I could see it having a chance on Monday or Wednesday at 8, although I'm likely not anticipating some competition yet to be announced...

I hope Joan of Arcadia survives!

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
Man, what's the deal with Everything moving to Thurs. Assuming CBS and FOX don't shuffle things too much, it seems as if about half the shows we normally watch will be on Thursday night. WTF?

Valerie G.

Stunt Coordinator

If they want a show "for the children", then they should keep Joan. Amy has more of an older audience, so hopefully that will help Joan a little. I hope, anyway.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Basically, not all nights are created equal. If you get 10M eyeballs on Tuesday night, and 10M eyeballs on Thursday night, the show on Thursday can actually make you more money because there's more demand for ad space, as movie studios, brewers, ski resorts, etc., want their products and services in your mind for the weekend.

NBC used to have a stranglehold on that night, to the point where everything else got dismal ratings, too dismal to make it worthwhile. Then CBS mounted a challenge with Survivor, CSI, and later Without a Trace. Now the other networks feel that they can get a piece of that pie, and since the pie is evidently tasty enough that a 8 rating on Thursday makes the same money as a 10 rating on Wednesday, it's worth putting one's strongest programs there, as opposed to just letting someone else have it.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I'm really glad that WB kept Charmed around for another year, but I'm seriously bummed about Fear Factor being held to patch the sked and Alias getting moved from its nurturing spot on Wednesdays. I'm guessing ABC doesn't plan on renewing the series when Jennifer Garner's contract runs out at the end of next season, especially with the full-blown preggers alert.

Does anyone have the skinny on WB's new show, Supernatural?

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
I like Boston Legal in a pretty safe spot on Tues night.

However, I don't like Alias moving into an unprotected HDTV spot on Thursday against heavy competition from every angle. With no repeats and no lead in HDTV show, the chances of getting a full season of Alias in HDTV is nil for many now thanks to the many inept switch flippers around the nation. DH repeat enough to get around the issue for the most part, but Alias is no longer repeated. Putting comedies in front of Lost seems foolish. They still have a chance to lock up all three hours on Wed, yet now most of us won't tune in until the second hour.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Now the big news will be CBS. The status of "Joan" will make or break my fall television viewing habits. And if it does get renewed, it better not be on Thursdays;)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I really hope the New Night Stalker does'nt destroy my memories of the original, which while it had it's weak shows, Darren Mcgavin could've been reading the Phone book and I'd watch.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Fuck. FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FFUUCCKK!

I hate you CBS. I honestly do. There is nothing on that schedule that interests me. "The Ghost Whisperer" seems like a low-grade rip-off of Joan means "Medium"

Damn it.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
How long should Alias be "nurtured", though? It's had three years on TV's most-watched night and one where it aired directly after one of the network's most popular shows. If it hasn't built an audience that it can hold in a more competitive time period yet, what good is it to ABC, especially since a lot of folks get raises after five years?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Why oh why does Jennifer Love Hewitt continue to find work on network TV? Her shows sounds like DOA to me.

Now, I'll pretty much anything with Carla Gugino in it, so I'll check out Threshold.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

I can certainly understand that viewpoint, it's just really hard to see a quality show with high caliber actors get the short shrift just because ABC doesn't need it anymore. Jennifer Garner has, without a doubt, brought a certain cachet to ABC before Desperate Housewives and Lost turned it into the land of milk and honey. With Alias finally hitting it's groove again, it's a shame, really, to see it get lead to the woodshed.

"I always hope for the best. Experience, unfortunately, has taught me to expect the worst." ––Elim Garak

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I hate you, too, CBS for cancelling "Joan". Actually, I've hated you ever since you cancelled "EZ Streets".. .and "Angel Falls". . . . Your new fall shows sound like crap.

Sebastien S

Second Unit
This is just brilliant!

Put "Alias" AND "Smallville" on at the same time as "Survivor"... Who's the genius(es) who thought this up!?!

One of those two shows (if not both) is going to take a serious beating! Could even be fatal.

Not to mention that I like these three shows and always watch them!

With my "Dish" I can watch one on "Eastern Time" and the other on "PT" but what am I supposed to do about the third one!?!!

We have a Sci-Fi chanel up here called "Space" that plays "Smallville" on Sundays, guess I could always catch it there but I'll be behind everyone else as their episodes are two weeks behind the WB's!

I think "Alias" also gets repeated on a few chanels up here on Sundays...

"Alias" and "Smallville" were doing fine on Wednesdays, they should have left it the way it was. There's nothing to gain here... Their only going to hurt both shows!

Abby_B

Supporting Actor

I totally agree. I know that she's considered "hot" but her acting couldn't be more wooden...I haven't liked her since Party of Five.

Also, I'm in denial about Joan of Arcadia...la la la I can't hear you...

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
You know, if this turns out to be the case, I have to wonder if CBS is missing an opportunity. I get why - growth doesn't seem terribly likely on either - but these two shows seem valuable enough to keep around in some capacity. Anyway, I sort of wonder if it would be possible for CBS to negotiate a renewal where these two shows would become UPN's Friday night lineup. The budget might need cutting, but Joan, especially, could use another year or two to put together a good third-run package.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
And, yep, "pretty good" doesn't keep you on the CBS line-up. I liked Joan of Arcadia, and my mom likes Judging Amy, but I don't think I'll miss it much - it's a show that piles up four episodes on the Replay before I actually start watching, not because I've gotta see it, but because I need the space.

Really, I'm more annoyed at CBS for poaching other shows' best guest stars - this schedule means no Alyson Hannigan or Paula Marshall on Veronica Mars, no Henry Winkler on Arrested Development, no Dennis Haysbert on 24.

Speaking of casting, damn, that cast for Threshold is tempting. Forget Brent Spiner, I'm there for Carla Gugino, Robert Patrick, and Charles Dutton. Oh, and having Chris Gorman in your pilot apparently will at least get you an order. Is he good luck for having four series get picked up in about six years, or bad luck because Popular was the most successful and it only lasted two seasons?

(Also, fans of Angel will likely be happy to see Christian Kane and Amy Acker getting some work)

Brad Porter

Screenwriter

I don't know what show she's going to be on, but casting Paula Marshall (or Jason Gedrick) is usually the kiss of death for any new show. Don't blame me, I've watched nearly all of her shows...

The part of the crowded Thursday and Sunday night lineups logic that falls apart is that viewers will not follow every show to the new night. Getting "10M eyeballs on Tuesday night" against weaker competition does not mean that there will still be 10M eyeballs on Thursday. It's difficult to demand better advertising rates when your ratings have gone down.

Brad

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I guess the question is, then, what should the networks do on those crowded nights? For a long time, everyone was conceding the night to NBC, and that sucked, especially if you weren't terribly enamored of comedies about New Yorkers in apartments they can't possibly afford. I'd rather see too much than too little.

Besides, the point is that it's no longer about "winning" a timeslot, but getting an audience. Alias won't be the #1 show on Thursday night, but if it can bring in an audience, it's more valuable there than it is on Wednesday, possibly even if it gets fewer viewers. Heck, that's the thought process that brought CSI to Thursday in the first place - it was more useful there than on Friday.

Besides, it's not like things will stay this way. I wouldn't be shocked if, by November, ABC sees Invasion tank and moves Alias back into its post-Lost slot, for instance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks