What's new

2005-06 NBA Season Discussion (1 Viewer)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
And even with his ability to score like a machine, the Lakers will probably only be first round cannon fodder in the playoffs—assuming that they can hold on to eight place in the standings.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
I'm no Lakers fan and Kobe doesn't impress me as a person but I have a ton of respect for him as a player. I have always said of all the people labeled the next MJ, he's the only one who can actually do it. (Too bad his personal life pretty much killed any chance of him being widely loved like MJ.)

When I saw the 81 on Sportscenter, I just said, "Wow" for a few seconds. But then I thought about the Raptors. How could they let this happen? Don't they have any pride? I know they are one of the worst teams in the league but they showed flashes this season of being pretty competitive. Even in this game they were leading big.

Morris Peterson was guarding him most of the night and he didn't foul out of the game. How do you let someone score 81 on you and go home with a foul to give still in your pocket? I would like to see the game simply to see what kind of defense was being played.

tyler payne

Second Unit
Real Name
tyler payne
Eighty-F**king-One!!!!

Wow, I was at work Sunday night and checking the Laker score on my phone. When I was that Kobe had 26 at half I figured he was on his way to an astonishing (but common for #8) 50+ game. When I saw that he had 55 at the end of three, and that the game outcome was not in the Refrigerator, I knew that Kobe was going to do something crazy.

This might be the most jaw-dropping performance ever. No slight to Wilt, but when Wilt stepped on the court he was not probably not just the most talented guy on the floor, but the biggest, and most dominating as well.

While there is no doubt that, Kobe might arguably be the most talented guy on the floor, he is not the physical giant that Wilt was.

Again, this no slight on Wilt, I still don't think his 100 will ever be topped, but Kobe gave us all as sports fans something to think about. When I got home and saw the highlights, I was laughing, because it was just so ridiculous, and had a tear in my eye, because I saw something that may never be done again in my lifetime. I mean in 60 plus years of the NBA 2 guys have popped for more than 80.

I am a Laker fan so I am biased, but it is beyond amazing that I will be telling this story to guys in the nursing home in 50 years or so. I know that from a purist perspective, a huge single performance does not do a lot for the concept of team, but when you figure that Kobe needed to score that much to get his team back into the game, you can really appreciate the determination, work ethic, and skill that Kobe possesses.

I guess the only way to explain it is that Kobe must have made a deal with the Devil. How else do you explain the fact that he scored 81 points in his 666 game of his career.
:D

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
Lew, the Lakers are 7th in the Western Conference right now. I don't view their chances as dimly you do. I think they have to really push and get to the sixth seed, because San Antonio and Phoenix will beat them. But, if they can get to the Sixth seed, then they would face Denver or Utah, the division leader of the Northwest, and both of those teams are very beatable. The same is true of Dallas, whom the Lakers have beaten twice in the season already.

The Lakers have a key, longest-of-the-season, 7 game road trip coming up. I'm hoping they go 5-2, or at least 4-3. Those results would be pretty helpful to aim for the sixth spot in the conference.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
The radio guys were all giddy this morning because Peter Vescey reported this morning that a Peja/Artest trade was all but done, just waiting on Sacramento to pull the trigger. They were like, "Bring on the crazy.":D Man, that would be so sweet if that were true.

I've been done with Peja for the last couple of years now. His one dimensional game was fine before when the Kings had a lot of dimensions. He's exposed even more now that the team sucks. It kills me watching him let a rebound bounce in front of him before he picks it up. GL with him, suckers...err, I mean, Indiana.;)

As for Ronnie, he might be a headache off the court but I've never heard of him dogging it on the court.

(please be true, please be true, please be true...)

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
ESPN is reporting that Artest for Stojakovic is now a done deal.

EDIT: Scott just beat me to the punch.

This analogy that Bill Simmons came up with in his column about Kobe's 81 point game is pretty funny:

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Good move for the Kings. They are in dire need of a player like him even if he might blow up in their face.

Regardless it'll benefit the fans and give them some hope.

Hunter P

Screenwriter

Yes, and it counts!

Artest might be crazy but he plays with a lot more heart than Peja. And he brings everything the Kings lack.

Like I said before, GL with Peja. Maybe Larry Legend can help him find his brass balls but I doubt it. Peja couldn't get motivated to go the extra mile when they were so close to a championship and he couldn't do it this year as an impending free agent. If a ring or money can't motivate him then how is Larry gonna do it?

A few years ago I felt he was the best shooter in the league, better than Dirk or Ray. Lately, he has been missing a lot of wide open shots with his feet set. He's lost his touch. Maybe in the Eastern conference he will thrive again coming off screens like Reggie Miller or Rip Hamilton.

Bah, who cares!!! I know I don't! Peja was soooooooo Tuesday morning. It's the Artest era now. muwa-ha-ha.

As long as he suits up for every game, I don't care what he does. Hell, I might even buy his CD now.:emoji_thumbsup:

Hunter P

Screenwriter
If helps the team win the game then hells yeah. I sit in section 109.:D

I have no problem with players like TO, Rodman or Artest. Sure they act crazy and say crazy things off the court but when the game is on, they give it their all. As a fan, that's all I can ask for.

It's funny how people don't want nutty people to be their teammates but they are prefectly fine with having accused murderers, rapists, wife abusers, drug users or w/e on their team. The nutty people get more negative press than the people who actually break the law.:frowning:

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
Hunter, hope you didn't buy Artest's CD yet. ESPN is now saying that the Kings have rejected the trade after Artest told both teams that he did not want to play for the Kings.

This has to be Indy's worst nightmare. Stojakovic was probably the best value they could get for Artest after publically announcing that they would trade him. Now his value has to be down even further. Can't be good for the Kings either since a would be traded Peja has to continue to play for them.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
Yah, I just heard it on the radio on the way home from work. Damn you, RA, damn you to hell.

I don't know why he would not want to come here. The fans would eat him up and are very forgiving, the media is creampuff, the coach lets everyone do whatever they want (much to my dislike) and the owners are very accomodating.

If he was thinking he would be able to join a title contending team like Miami or the Spurs then keep dreaming. I don't think he could have gotten a better environment than the Kings.

Oh well...

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Pacers may be stuck with Artest on the suspended list for the rest of the season. Trying to get any value for him and also making a deal work under the salary cap could be very difficult now. The trade with the Kings was a perfect fit -- a player who could help the team this season, and a contract that also worked well for Indy under the cap.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
Is it too late to still trade Peja for a third round pick from Indy?:frowning:

How about a bag of popcorn and Snickers bar?:D

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
And now it appears the deal isn't completely dead. Artest now says that it isn't that he doesn't want to play for the Kings, but wants to be personally involved in the negotiations. Wow, what a head case this guy is.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
I think it's revenge to the Pacers management for making him twiddle his thumbs for so long after they declared he would be traded in 10 days.

Meh, I don't care at this point if the deal happens or not. The silver lining is now the Kings are forced to trade a disgruntled Peja even if this deal doesn't happen.:emoji_thumbsup:

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Some people on the web are now saying that the deal is back on again, as just reported by Jim Gray on ESPN Radio.

There's an exchange in Casablanca that could apply to Artest's mood swings and lack of attention span, if you interpret it that way (in the movie, Bogey is just trying to get rid of a clingy woman whom he doesn't like):

"Where were you last night?"
"That's so long ago I don't remember."
"Will I see you tonight?"
"I never make plans that far ahead."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks