What's new

2005-06 MLB Hot Stove Discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

These are Cashman moves and I'm all for it. Nothing wrong with bringing in good baseball guys with different personalities from outside of the organization. IMO, a mixture of personalities whether on the coaching staff or player roster is a good thing.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Mike,
It tells me in terms of bringing in Bowa that 1)Nobody wanted him for a managerial position and 2)They want his fire in the clubhouse. He's an active guy and will stir the pot. If anything he can light a fire under their butts.

Another speculatory reason: Torre might be getting close to hanging it up and they want a capable backup in play.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor

Blanket statement of the year Robert. Lets not turn this into a Yankee/Red Sox fan bashing thread and not start calling names categorizing people.

I don't see a problem with the coaching moves by the Yankees. They obviously are going to have a tough time this offseason. They have a lot of position players under contract that are ageing but they can't move because of the inflated contracts that they were signed for. Now they are stuck with them and they need some people that will light a fire under them. Pena and Bowa will be able to do that while Torre focuses on coaching I think. It is actually an impressive asseblage of coaches.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

If some of you guys are going to dish it out like the quote above then you need to be able to take it in return. I have, for over a year on this forum without me crying once about being bashed as a Yankee fan.

Crawdaddy

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Really? Which position players are you referring to? They would have gotten rid of Giambi last off-season if they could have, but I don't think they'd want to do that now.

They're finally rid of Brown and Karsay, and if Bernie Williams comes back, it would be for a lot less money.

So what other position player would they have gotten rid of but for an inflated contract? Sheffield? Jeter? A-Rod?

Evan M.

Supporting Actor

Not going to argue with you......but as a Mod. I would imagine that keeping a "hot stove" thread to topic and not calling people things is usually preferred. If you would like to start a Sox/Yankee thread than please do and I would be happy to debate but I would rather this thread to stay as close to topic as possible.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Nobody is preventing you from staying on topic, but you keep trying to lecture me, so do yourself a favor and talk hot stove baseball.

Crawdaddy

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Robert used my own quote in which I said "we Red Sox fans are hyper-sensitive". So, I won't disagree with him that that we are ultra-sensitive. Although what I said we are hyper-sensitive about is...the psyche of the Yankees (fans & team)...and the player's "arrogance that the spoils of baseball are theirs before the season begins." I think that's a pretty accurate assessment of how Sox fans feel about the NY Yankees.

I think it is amazing how the Yanks/Sox rivalry has developed into what it has become. I know for me a Sox' season is a strangely emotional thing. I get the sense that for Robert...

...it has become a difficult affair as well.

I know that a number of my friends who are Yankees fans and myself have an unspoken agreement to not get into some of the more-sensitive differences of opinions between the two teams. It just tends to degrade too quickly.

But I also point out that Robert's focus on this past year as a Yankee fan should be put in context with the 26 World Championships that we Sox fans are continually reminded of. Some might say that it's the Yankee fans who are the ones who need to to be able to "take it in return" after years of dishing it out. ;)

I like to think that I've got a pretty good understanding of both clubhouses (with an admittedly skewed perspective) because of both my fan allegiance to the Sox and my son's allegiance to the Yanks and my geographic location in NY.

I found it unfortunate that while my son and I watched this year's World Series and witnessed a high level of play and tight closeness of the games, we also felt rather disengaged from the action after both the Sox and Yanks lost in the Division Series. I guess that speaks to the talent on both teams that we are so used to seeing them contend for the top prize.

The rivalry is passionate. And, for us Sox & Yankees fans it makes it extremely fun. But we've got to remember to concentrate our fanatical energies on the players and teams rather than on each other.

================================================== =

Back to the hot stove, ESPN is reporting tonight that the Big Hurt is about to join the free agency market. The ChiSox have apparently decided to exercise the buyout option on his contract. Frank Thomas anyone?! :D

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Not nearly as difficult as 1965-1967, but I got over those terrible years just like I did with the Dallas Green, Bucky Dent and Stump Merrill teams. However, I've been more fortunate than most baseball fans so I have no complaints.

Crawdaddy

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
That's just a shame - he's a Hall of Fame player who has been hampered by injuries, and the impression I've gotten is that he has no desire to leave the White Sox. I imagine if he signs for another team this year, it'll be like that final year of Dwight Evans's career when he played for the Orioles was for Red Sox fans - weird and vaguely wrong.

And, yeah, I'd be very happy indeed if WATCH THIS SPACE could get him to sign a one-year contract with Boston, splitting 1B and DH with Ortiz. I think he'll be a great pick-up for someone.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor

Ditto.............

Excellent post Mike....

Marvin, I understand your reasoning but your opinion certainly differs from the majority of Yankee fans I have spoken to and from all of the "interesting" reads in NY.

Back to the related topic now and for good on my part.....unless provoked ;) (kidding)...
I do think that Thomas would be a great pickup for someone. Of course I would like to see him in a sox uniform. I wonder if the "lack of offence Twins" may make a run at him??

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
As a Red Sox fan, I wouldn't want Frank Thomas in '06. We need younger, faster players...and pitchers! We've done enough years with the old, falling apart sluggers. Been there, done that.

Would've loved him a few years ago.

Jim Thome has always been a favorite of mine. Nobody more intimidating in the batters box. But I don't want him either anymore.

This has nothing to do with Thomas or Thome...but I sure would like to see Gabe Kapler become an everyday player. I thought he ws terrific when he was with the Tigers and was thrilled when the Sox picked him up. I was sorry to see him go to Japan and thrilled again when he returned this year. I think goven a chance to play every day for the Sox might not be a bad thing at all. Of course, that would mean an outfield spot would have to open up...

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
The Dodgers need a slugging first basement so be on the lookout there. I would rather see them make a move towards Konerko but we shall see if they will and then Konerko has to want to come back because the Dodgers traded him years ago.

He was real inconsistent much like Adrian Beltre. The market is full of buyer beware.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
Mike, I agree with you when it comes to Thome and Thomas. I think Thome would be a good pickup for someone if healthy but his pricetag is HUGE. Has has about 46 million remaining in 3 years. The Phillies would certainly need to pick up a lot of that contract if they are to move him. I think Thomas would be a good part-time player for someone. I still would like him on the Sox as a backup first basesman/DH. It would also add some insurance in case of injury. I don't see Thomas accepting a big pay cut and part-time play though.
I too am a Kapler fan but I don't think he is an everyday player. After watching a majority of Sox games the last 3 years I thought he was a VERY solid fielder and base runner but he lacks some of the skills at the plate that a Nixon brings. I think the Sox should CERTAINLY keep him as a 4th outfielder though. I just wonder id his achillies will even be healed enough to play next season? That can be a VERY devastating injury.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Ugh. His value to the team is sucking a bit less than Trot Nixon against left-handers and being able to play center if the need arises. He'd be a liability as an everyday player, but is a decent role-player.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Read some interesting stuff today:

Billy Wagner is looking at the Mets. They also want Tom Gordon. Bullpen help seems to be a big deal to the Mets I guess. They also are looking at Bengie Molina(and love him).

The Marlins are shopping Mike Lowell and Carlos Delgado. Delgado would be interesting.. The Marlins have alot of holes to fill and alot of issues with.

The Angels are looking at Konerko and a Manny trade that would involve Darren Erstad. If they got both, holy smokes...their owner is obviously not concerned with a big payroll.

The Twins are looking at a trade with the Phillies for Thome with the Phillies paying a chunk of the salary.

Things are about to get REAL interesting REAL fast.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I dunno. We've got angst (a Red Sox specialty! :D ) AND tearful press conferences!

Oh...but I forgot. You've got Frank McCourt. You win! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks