What's new

2004 NCAA Football season (1 Viewer)

David Range

Agent
We're not that bad Dave. Superior level of humanity? :rolleyes:It was a heck of alot worse in the mid 90's when everyone was jumping on the bandwagon after the back to back NC's.

The biggest problem Solich has to deal with now is recruiting. He's not a big name like Osborne was, and he fired the only guys who knew territories they recruited in!
:angry: He's too predictable with his play calling, and although he hired an offensive coordinator, he noted that he(Solich) has final decision on the plays to be run. So we'll see alot more of run up the middle on first down, option on second down(with the defense stacking the line on both downs), impossible pass plays on 3rd and 15 to go, and finally punt on 4th down. I'd say Solich is on the hot seat this year, there's no way he'll be back for another season should he have another .500 season or worse. I'd like to see what Dan McCarney from Iowa State could do with the history and recruiting at Nebraska.

Still looking forward to the first game though, I've got season tickets this year. :)

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Speaking of Nebraska, Penn State heads into Lincoln to wrap up the home and home series. Primetime on ABC. Last year was a mismatch, hopefully PSU can do it again. Payback for '94 in a way.
PSU was still the best team in the nation in 1994. :)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Any Oregon fans from back in the old days? I wonder what this Rich Brooks is going to be like for U.K. They say he wasn't that bad. Didn't he lead Oregon to a Rose Bowl?

Oh well, one thing's for sure, being on a lower rung of the collegiate football ladder isn't too bad. When you make it to a bowl, you're estatic....ecstatic..... oh screw it, I forgot how to spell. The point is, you're happy as a clam. :)

So, what do you guys think will be the "trend" in football for years to come? I think we'll be seeing more of these spread the field to run the ball style of offenses.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Miami of Ohio showed promise with their first run, going 77 yards and then scoring a field goal. Unfortunately, everything was downhill from there. The Redhawks lost to the Iowa Hawkeyes 21-3, and to top it off, Redhawks quarterback and Heisman trophy candidate Ben Roethlisberger threw a career record four interceptions.

On a much better note, Ohio State proved that they don't need Maurice Clarett, at least for now. The Buckeyes easily defeated the Washington Huskies 28-9, and it's one of the more unexciting football games I've seen in quite a while. The Huskies were no threat to the Bucks, most likely the result of their coaching controversy. In the fourth quarter, the Huskies had a field goal attempt blocked, and after QB Cody Pickett ran into the end zone for a touchdown, the two point conversion failed.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
The biggest surprise yesterday to me was the Auburn asskicking dealt out by USC. I thought Auburn would run the ball alot but they couldn't get that going either.

Damn USC is going to be tough this year.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
The Auburn game was pretty brutal to watch. As was the UGA-Clemson game. I thought my Dawgs were going to have a tougher time of it with all the injuries and suspensions. But the rest of the team certainly stepped up. Especially the defense. I sure hope Georgia ups Van Gorder's pay. He's one of the best defensive coordinators I've seen in a while.

Galen_V

Second Unit
My Hurricanes were kind of spotty this past Thursday night-I think Brock needs some work on throwing the ball forward. However, I am really pumped for this weekend's game against Florida, especially since I have tickets. I hate those damn Gators! :angry:

Ohio State also played really well this weekend, better than I thought they would. I still think they will wind up losing to NC State, but they definitely showed that they are not about to roll over and die without Clarett.

Ben_Hud

Stunt Coordinator
UGA SENIOR !!! woohooo, I was a little worried about clemson due to all the injurys and graduations we had, but i was quite impressed with the game this weekend. cant wait for the rest of the season .... on a side note to all the grads, if your not keeping up with the local news they are trying to get the hot dog man kicked off campus :frowning:

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
on a side note to all the grads, if your not keeping up with the local news they are trying to get the hot dog man kicked off campus
I guess he would just move from the corner of Baldwin and Sanford to Downtown. I heard something about this last year. What is the new reason for it?

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Well, I shouldn't be disappointed, but I am. Kentucky has some serious problems. I swear, some programs are cursed to never come out of a hole. I truly believe you can only build programs from scratch in videogame football.

Seriously, who the hell runs a 3-4 with mediocre players? First of all, you don't have enough down lineman to matchup with the offensive lineman. And secondly, the interior linebackers are on their heels and far from the line of scrimmage, which gives 300+ lb offensive lineman a great running start to knock them down on their asses. I can think of only two teams that run the 3-4, and they're both in the NFL. The Pittsburgh Steelers and Baltimore Ravens (I think Baltimore ran it at one point). You need fast and strong linebackers with a great nose tackle.

On a side note, I think Ohio State can survive without Maurice Clarett. That O-line is something else. Which begs the question: is Maurice Clarett really good or is all his success due to the lineman?

Washington looked pathetic, and Ohio State's defense took every advantage.

I think Florida will do fine this year. They have two players that can start at quarterback.

Alabama is going to the dumps.

I was rooting for Auburn to represent the SEC, but this loss was embarrassing.

Miami looks solid, but nowhere near as good as the previous two years. I think they're one year away from being back in the national title game.

NC State will give OSU a good game, but I think OSU will win it out.

Oh well, I'm looking foward to Miama and Florida.

KyleS

Screenwriter
Although I live in Southern Indiana now, close to the Ohio border, I am a University of Oregon graduate, so I will be rooting for the Pac-10 conference again this season.

Oregon did well although they need to step up their defense if they plan on contending for a BCS bowl birth. I was hoping that Washington was going to give Ohio State a better game but I cant say that I am surprised, especially with just going through the Head coach issues there recently. GO DUCKS!! ;-)

And if Ohio State is smart they will kick Maurice Clarett's Ass of campus and darn quick. The NCAA can come down quite hard and could even take away their National Championship from Last year. Especially considering a lot of there infractions were from last year. They could also get banned from post season play for a number of years as Washington did a few years back. Guy was an idiot and they showed they dont need him, so they should cut therelosses and show people they are serious about student athletes following the rules.

KyleS

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
I truly believe you can only build programs from scratch in videogame football.
Well for the sake of myself and my fellow CT taxpayers who just dropped $90 million on a new stadium for UConn football, I sincerely hope that isn't the case! :)

I realize this is a big-time college football thread, and UConn still has a long, long, way to go, but winning the last four games of last season (including a whooping of Iowa State on the road) and then rolling over Indiana this weekend (the first Big Ten team UC has ever faced), it looks like UConn is taking its first faltering steps towards legitimacy in college football. CT may always be a basketball-first state, but football fever is starting to spread...

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Dave - Funny. We've been saying the same thing about Penn State basketball after they built their arena. If the players don't come, the program doesn't take off. (Even though Penn State made it to the Sweet 16 a couple years ago, it was a fluke!)

Oh, and I think Penn State will BEAT Ohio State this year. :) PSU's Austin Scott will make everyone forget about Clarett.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Too true, Patrick--and in football even more than basketball you need a steady stream of quality recruits to build and sustain a program. UConn certainly faces a huge uphill battle in that respect, and their cause wasn't helped any by the defection of traitorous Miami and Virginia Tech from the Big East.

It's been exciting to witness so far, though. While the rest of you guys agonize over falling out of the top 5 for a week, or wonder which bowl game your team is going to, we are thrilled to pieces to beat teams like Navy and Rutgers, and last year's 6-6 finish was considered a huge success. :)

You know what made my week this morning? Check out the fine print under the USA Today Top 25:

OTHERS RECEIVING VOTES
Washington 104, Maryland 81, TCU 79, Oregon State 65, Texas A&M 50, Washington State 29, BYU 29, Northern Illinois 26, Marshall 24, Boise State 24, Minnesota 24, UCLA 19, Missouri 17, Hawaii 16, Oregon 14, New Mexico 13, Arkansas 10, California 9, Louisville 9, Utah 9, Air Force 7, Connecticut 6, Michigan State 6, Mississippi 5, Texas Tech 5, Wake Forest 4, Colorado State 4, Bowling Green 3, Fresno State 2, Oklahoma State 2, West Virginia 2.
It's ridiculous to the point of absurdity for CT to have gotten any votes, but there you go. Not bad for a team in their fourth year of Division 1-A play. :) :) :)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
winning the last four games of last season (including a whooping of Iowa State on the road) and then rolling over Indiana this weekend (the first Big Ten team UC has ever faced), it looks like UConn is taking its first faltering steps towards legitimacy in college football.
I wouldn't get too excited about beating Indiana. The only thing keeping the Hoosiers from being the worst team in the Big 10/11 is Northwestern.

I heard something I never thought possible on ESPN last weekend -- one of the studio analysts (either Corso or Herbstreet) used the words "John Navarre" and "Heisman Trophy" in the same sentence. After picking myself up from the floor from hysterical laughter, I immediately began looking for a phone number for the network to demand that their announcers be subjected to a random drug test.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks