What's new

2004 NCAA Football season (1 Viewer)

Van Patton

Second Unit
I've been a college football fan for a long time. This year I'm going to UT in Knoxville so I'm very excited about that. Even though TN's offensive coordinator should be shot, I'd say they will have a decent year.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
It's difficult for me to get excited this early about college football. I usually start paying attention once Michigan's season opens. Spring football rarely helps form an impression for the autumn. They should have a good team this year, but the running back situation is still a concern. I've never been a big Chris Perry fan, although he did finish strong last season.

as for JoePa I think hes a good coach but one thing if any other coaches would push around or get in a the refs faces like he does then they would be gone from the game
I agree. The Big Ten let Paterno get away with too much the past couple of years. He needed a fine or suspension for some of his actions. The conference looked the other way because of who he is. Yes, Big Ten officiating sucks, but every team has gotten screwed by poor officiating. PSU hasn't suffered any more than any other school. Michigan got screwed by the clock operator in East Lansing, but benefitted from some generous fumble/no fumble calls against Illinois a couple of years ago.

Hunter P

Screenwriter

Unfortunately, NU is not in the habit of firing coaches so Mr Solich is in no immediate danger of losing his job. I just don't like what he has done with the program. Every year Nebraska is listed as a pre-season contender for the national title but I know it is on reputation alone. They lose every major gut-check game they play. I attribute this to their coach.

The basic problem is that the Huskers don't play Huskers' football ever since FS took over for Tom Osborne. Huskers' football was to run the ball right down your throat until you cried for your momma. They used to be the best running team in the nation every year.

Sure, sometimes the opponent would be able to contain the run in the first half. Maybe the Huskers would be behind by halftime. But they would still continue to run the option. This is because they knew that all that pounding in the first half is just setting up the defense for the second half. By the fourth quarter the other team is so tired and beat up that NU is running up the score 63-12.

With Solich, he gives up on the run too easily. If it's not working in the first half then he'll call a bunch of passing plays. The Huskers are not a passing team. They're not designed for it. In the old days, 3rd and 5 yards or less the Huskers would do a run play more often than not.

I know that he's not in danger of losing his job but he should be.

Hunter P

Screenwriter

I agree. Was it last year when he grabbed that ref after a game? He wasn't punished at all and he said he was only trying to get his attention. But he jerked the guy pretty hard and you could tell that he was totally pissed off. Instant fine and possible suspension if it was anyone else.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Don't discount Penn State in the Big 10. They lost 4 games last year all by less than a TD and to teams who all finished in the Top 15 - 2 of which games went to Overtime, They battled OSU very closely in Columbus. Their talented QB returns with another year experience. They too lose Michigan on the schdule and play Ohio State at Happy Valley. THey do face the Huskers in Lincoln however. Anyway, I'm looking forward to another exciting season.

Remember the name Austin Scott. He is a new freshman from who rushed for 3,853 yards last year ALONE in H.S.

Instant fine and possible suspension if it was anyone else.
But its not anyone else, its the winningest coach in college football. A living legend. One more Title for Joe!

Cary_H

Second Unit
I am a huge fan of U.S. College football, and have been a huge Michigan fan since their 1977 Rose Bowl lost to Warren Moon's Washington squad.
As much as I believe the Buckeyes have what it takes to repeat, the pressure they'll be under will make that a pretty daunting task.
I felt they relied on Maurice Clarett too much, so I didn't think they'd match up all that well against Miami, especially with Clarett hurting. They proved me wrong, but I still feel they were lucky to catch Miami on an off day.
As for my Wolverines....well, it's gonna be a long season, IMO.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
With Solich, he gives up on the run too easily. If it's not working in the first half then he'll call a bunch of passing plays. The Huskers are not a passing team. They're not designed for it. In the old days, 3rd and 5 yards or less the Huskers would do a run play more often than not.
Yep. Nebraska may not finish in the top 3 in the Big12 North.. Missouri looks to be much improved. The Big12 north looks to be K-State's division to lose. They are returning El Roverson (Heisman candidate) and Sproles (ditto) and should have an agressive offense. Their defense of course, is what it is..

Texas, Texas A&M & Oklahoma will all be dangerous in the Big12 South.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
But its not anyone else, its the winningest coach in college football. A living legend.
That should not give Paterno carte blanc to berate the officials and make physical contact with them. The Big Ten needed to clamp down on him last year. Woody Hayes was a living legend, too, but even he was eventually held accountable for his actions.

Hunter P

Screenwriter

Dude that is too funny. Come on! According to your name tag you live in Council Bluffs. How much different can it be?:laugh:

Eman_Ramos

Stunt Coordinator
Hey all,

Don't sleep on the Bruins this season. New coach, new attitude. They might suprise a few people.

Beat SC.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Steve what's your feeling about Vince Dooley being forced to retire, I think he's being treated very poorly, after all he's one of the top ADs in the country.
I don't think he will be gone for long. The university hates our President (Adams). Dooley and Adams have always disliked each other. Adams is only getting rid of him so he can be the "head honcho". There is a petition going around the school now for Adams to be removed. If he was then whoever took his place would reinstate Dooley, and he would come back, he has already said. He was at the meeting of the people that started the petition to remove the president. UGA has a very large Alumni and the teams have a huge following. Adams will be gone soon.

But people do not dislike Adams just for the Dooley incident. Adams has done many things in the past that students hated. I remember being very discouraged that our parking fees went up from $40 bucks a year to $10-$30 a month, which at least is $120 a year. He said the university needed money, but then spent millions remodeling his office and surroundings.

Dooley will be back, we are confident.

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
Dude that is too funny. Come on! According to your name tag you live in Council Bluffs. How much different can it be?
It's the attitude of many/most Nebraskans that they are of a superior level of humanity merely because they associate themselves with a silly football team. The ubiquitous arrogance is what is intolerable.

Now I've heard at least 100,000 times that it is that way everywhere. However, I've lived and travelled in numerous parts of the country and have yet to encounter any place nearly as bad as Nebraska.

Besides, now that I've gotten out of Nebraska, my taxes are significantly lower. I guess Iowa & Iowa State football players don't get paid as well as the Huskers... ;)

GlenRF

Agent
thats right scott if any of the coaches from yesteryear would have done that they would be ejected from the sidelines and have to watch from the lockeroom, and I know that he is the winnest coach woopty doo da it still doesnt give him the right to go and grap a ref and whip him around to point out the obvious call he made earlier in the game.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
So, do you think that ref wanted to be the ONE to get Joe Paterno ejected and disgrace the tradition of Penn State? ...And I believe Woody Hayes HIT a PLAYER. Huuuuuuuuuuuge difference.

Edit: Had to try out the Quick Edit thing. Sweet!

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Another University of Georgia graduate here. I'm excited about the upcoming season. I think we will do well, but the loss of our offensive line really hurts.

BTW, count me as another Adams-hater. Getting rid of Dooley will probably be the nail in Adams' coffin.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks