What's new

2004 ML Baseball Playoff Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Ok, so its not looking real good for my Anaheim world series prediction...I blame Ricky Williams. Not for Anaheim's losing but for my picking them. I don't know how, I just know its his fault. Perhaps it was an altered state of mind that caused the pick?

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
One swing of the bat and Vlad makes it a tie...then Ortiz bails them out.

Bye Bye Angels, bust out the brooms.

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit
Now that the Sox are in the LCS I want to see how the Sox fans feel about this:

A friend of mine, who is a Sox fan, told me if the Sox win the world series they have to beat the Yanks in the LCS to make it a truly complete victory. Now I am huge Yankees fan and I even I find that statement a little absurd. You always hear that the Yanks are the measuring stick and to beat them is a true test of how good a team is. But to win the world series means you had to first make the playoffs and then win three rounds against the best teams in baseball. Does it really matter if they play the Yanks or Twins? I would think just the fact alone of winning it all should be enough for any team regardless of who they play. Do a lot of Sox fans feel this way? They were even talking about this on ESPN during the game.

Like I said, even though I am a Yankees fan I think Ortiz is the MVP. Manny is to one dimensional IMO (even though he really excels in that dimension - hitting). I love what Ortiz brings to the table. He may have spent most of his time as a DH but his personality I feel is what really made the Sox who they are, not taking away anything else from the other Sox players.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member

He's nuts. :D I don't care if they beat the Twins or the Yanks have to forfeit. Just win!!!!!!!

Headed out tomorrow AM to what could have been a Yankee elimination party or the Red Sox Game 4 in Minnesota, but can at least be a chance to weaken the Yanks pitching for the ALCS even as Gardenhire continues to teach the "exact-opposite" ;) of the fundamentals to his team.

Hopefully today, Francona learned the Curse of Michael Myers will turn on you if you let him face righties. Nice to see Lowe close it out again. As bad as the press he gets is, he still has been there when this team needed him in the playoffs every time and didn't pull a Kim.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The Twins are making it interesting in the bottom of the 9th inning, losing 8-1. But with 2 hit-by-pitch, and 2 hits, it's 8-2,base loaded and no outs. Looks like Torre has to go with his ace closer Rivera to try and shut the door on the Twins.

LewB

Screenwriter
Yanks win, lead series 2 games to 1 ...
The Good:
Kevin Brown - Performed well in a big game. Torre gave him the chance to redeem himself and he did.
Derek Jeter 3-5 with 3 RBIs in a pivotal game, ho-hum :D
The Bad:
Looking past Minnesota to the Sox. Frigging sports writers :angry:
Jeter makes a fielding error !! The horror :eek:
Minnesota base running. I know they were down big, but you NEVER make the first or last out at 3rd base.
If Joe Morgan uses the word 'turf' one more time ...
The Ugly:
Middle Relief - Couldn't even handle a mop-up job last night. Had to use Rivera last night to keep the agita down. Heredia looked awful most of the season, them seemed to turn the corner late in September. No excuse for hitting 2 guys late in a blow-out!

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, the press does. And I have to admit that it would (A) make a better story and (B) take some of the edge off of the "well, they won the World Series, but only got there because of the Wild Card" thing.

Not saying I wouldn't take it... But, yeah, the Sox beating the Yankees on the way there would be better.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Ack! John Thompson has to leave the game with 1 out, man on second, due to a pulled oblique muscle. Paul Byrd basically has to make an emergency start for the Braves.

The Braves got a break with a runner getting struck by a batted ball for a second out.

Travis_S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis
Ouch for the Braves, 7-2 Astros, if they can hold this, the Astros have Clemens going again tomorrow. Things are not looking good for the Braves.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Braves tried to make a comeback but it was too little too late.

Now its Roger Clemens' chance to close it out.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

That is just an example of the never happy, always look at the negative Sox fan. Thank God they are a minority among Sox fans, even though they seem like a majority if you listen to sports radio. Of course we'd like to beat the Yankees, but the only team I feel we have to play and beat to win the WS is the first National League team we face. Any other opponent does not matter in the least. Besides, it looks like the Yanks/Twins is going to 5 games, let them beat themselves up all they want. The Crimson Hosed Band of Idiots is coming for either and to quote Kevin Millar - "Hell's comin' with em'".

:D

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Wow, Jose Lima shuts out the Cardinals on 5 hits. Who would have imagined he had that kind of performance in him.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member

Apparently not Braves fans, who evidently have West Coast games blacked out. The greatest franchise in National League history finally wins a playoff game after 16 years. Sweet! :emoji_thumbsup:

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Uh, the Rox are a team that plays in Brockton, Mass, get it straight. The Yankees are taking on the Boston Red Sox and they are a whole different ballteam, I assure you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks