What's new

2004 Film List (1 Viewer)

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Updated with the strong direct-to-video title Stark Raving Mad and the weak Battle Royale II (which should have a region free DVD release by the end of the year).

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Updated with Un couple épatant (:star::star:¼), the "first" movie from Lucas Belvaux's "Trilogy", though it will be released second in the US. More info in the blog and/or alterna-thread.

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
Updated my list with Barbershop 2: Back in Business (an entertaining 80%) and The Butterfly Effect, a VERY enjoyable thriller that resonated powerfully with me, 90%.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Updated my list with the documentary/adventure film Touching the Void. A fantastic film and one should see it if it comes to their city.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
2004 Film List

Total Films Seen: 42

Before Sunset ****
Bourne Supremacy *** 1/2
Chronicles of Riddick ** 1/2
Closer ****
Collateral ****
Day After Tomorrow ***
Dodgeball# *** 1/2
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind ****
Farenheit 9/11 *** 1/2
Friday Night Lights# *** 1/2
Girl Next Door# ***
Harold and Kumar go to White Castle# *** 1/2
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban *** 1/2
Hellboy ***
Hero ****
I, Robot *** 1/2
Incredibles ****
Kill Bill Vol. 2 ****
King Arthur# ***
Kinsey ****
Maria Full of Grace# *** 1/2
Mean Girls# ***
Metallica: Some Kind of Monster# *** 1/2
Miracle ***
National Treasure ***
Oceans 12 ***
Open Water *** 1/2
Passion of the Christ# *** 1/2
Secret Window ***
Sharktale *** 1/2
Shrek 2 *** 1/2
Sideways ****
Spartan *** 1/2
Spiderman 2 ****
Starsky and Hutch# ***
Taking Lives ***
Terminal ****
13 Going on 30# ***
Touching the Void# ****
Troy ***
Van Helsing ***
Village **

# - First viewing on DVD

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Updated with the following:

Highwaymen- This deserved a much better release.
Haute Tension- Fantastic gem that truly is a throwback to the 70s.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Updated with the new teen comedy Eurotrip. The film is an enjoyable fast-paced sexual innuendo filled 90 minute comedy that is pretty good to watch on a rainy day in an empty theater (like with me here in Vegas). :)

I will update later with sneak preview showings of The Girl Next Door and Starsky and Hutch.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
I predict come March 12th that I will be getting a lot of shit for this...

...but I just gave a film directed by the director of The Animal and the writers of National Lampoon's Van Wilder four stars. I loved The Girl Next Door which is a hard-R rated teen movie with lots of heart. The film which relies on no gross-out humor (but it does have the sex jokes here and there) and it works pretty damn well and captures the spirit of such films like The Last American Virgin.

And by saying I loved it, the film's going to fucking tank. ;)

Greatest line from the film:
"Why didn't you go to film school?"
"SHUT THE FUCK UP!"

Bill Harris

Stunt Coordinator
Why wait for March 12th?

I also saw The Girl Next Door tonight

A good first half hour or so doesnt make up for the complete "pull it out of my ass" last couple of reels. I will admit that this film is freaking Fellini compared to Welcome to Mooseport , the other film i saw today. One can only hope that Ray Romano is the next David Caruso.

I also saw The Dreamers this week , a film that just flat out kicked my ass. Big update coming in the next couple of days if i get around to it.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
I hate you Bill Harris. You made me cry. :frowning:

Anyway... I updated with the latest from Todd "Road Trip and Old School" Phillips, Starsky and Hutch. An "okay" film with few laughs here and there. I was expecting more with the director and cast involved with the film.

If anyone says it was better than The Girl Next Door, I'll beat the fucking shit out of you. ;) :)

Michael Pakula

Second Unit
I couldn't agree with you more Matthew, I saw Starsky and Hutch today also was rather dissapointed with it. I had a few laughs but thats about it. I also happened to catch The Girl Next Door yesterday and prefered it over Starsky and Hutch. The story and and great casting kept me interested throught the whole film. The star of the film Emilie Hirsch for some reason reminds me of younger version Jack Black. I feel he has alot of potential as an actor. The rest of the cast was also quite good as well. I recommend everyone on the board here go and see The Girl Next Door when it comes out.

-Mike

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Saw my first 2004 film Clifford's Really Big Movie: A movie strictly for kids with surprisingly poor animation. I don't know why they didn't keep the look of the television series. It lacks imagination (a surfer-speak dog AND a chiuahua who's appearance is announced by Spanish music?) and the storyline is stretched even for the under 80m running time. But then I'm not the target audience. My kids both enjoyed it and it got plenty of laughs from other kids in the audience. C+

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Updated with Gibson's The Passion of the Christ. It was a powerful film that touched the emotions I was hoping for. Performances are strong, the production design and make-up are superb. Gibson overplay's some scenes and uses far too much slow motion it is enough to knock it down to a *** rating. I'm glad this film got a wide release and it is the first must-see film I have seen so far this year.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I don't normally post updates any more (although I do frequently update my list), but I wanted to let you all know that I've added the first Five-Star (non-festival) movie to my list.

Can anyone guess what it might be? :D

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Last Updated: 02/23/05
Criterion Used: Oscar Eligibility
Number of Films Seen: 37

The top ten so far:

1. Fahrenheit 9/11
2. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
3. Sideways
4. Hero
5. Million Dollar Baby
6. Control Room
7. Maria Full of Grace
8. Hotel Rwanda
9. Mean Girls
10. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

The best of the rest, in order:

Finding Neverland, Spanglish, The Passion of the Christ, The Aviator, Saved!, House of Flying Daggers, The Hunting of the President, Hijacking Catastrophe: 9/11, Fear and the Selling of American Empire, Super Size Me, The Terminal, Ray, Kinsey, The Motorcycle Diaries, Spartan, Bush's Brain, Collateral, Miracle, Hidalgo, Festival Express, Outfoxed, Jersey Girl, Spider-Man 2, The Ladykillers, I Robot, Shrek 2, Iron Jawed Angels, Van Helsing

Yet to see are:

The Assassination of Richard Nixon, Baadasssss!, Bad Education, Being Julia, Cellular, Close Your Eyes, Closer, The Door in the Floor, The Dreamers, A Foreign Affair, Garden State, Going Upriver, A Home at the End of the World, I'll Sleep When I'm Dead, I'm Not Scared, The Incredibles, Intimate Strangers, The Machinist, Mean Creek, The Merchant of Venice, Moolaade, Open Water, Orwell Rolls In His Grave, Osama, Overnight, The Polar Express, Riding Giants, Secret Things, Seeing Other People, Silver City, Still We Believe: The Boston Red Sox Movie, Tarnation, The Twilight Samurai, Undertow, The United States of Leland, Valentin, Vanity Fair, Vera Drake, A Very Long Engagement, Young Adam

Rob

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Really? Well then that was your first mistake. Three people who seem stuck on one-note careers lately. I like Stiller and Wilson, but lately it seems like the same character traits over and over again from them. And Todd Phillips, well I thought his other 2 films were train wrecks with some funny moments by the stars slipping in despite him. Especially Old School which had a cast and premise that should have made the film another Animal House or Ghostbusters.

I'm in no big hurry to see S&H because of that, and reviews from people who were expecting more and thought it was lame sure ain't helping the cause. :)

Scott, "Eternal Sunshine", is that right? What a SOB you are. Last year it was "In America", this year its my most anticipated film of the year. Gondry has shown complete genius in his videos, Kaufman = nuff said, Carrey has came through big time in Truman Show I thought so I believe in his ability for roles like this. Guess I'll go snoop around for a review possibly, if you have one up for it yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks