What's new

2004 CEDIA Coverage (1 Viewer)

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
Pioneer is rumored to be lowering the MSRP/MAP on the Pioneer DV-59avi Elite player. They are suppose to make an annoucement at CEDIA.

Robert Franklin

Stunt Coordinator
See if you can get more information about the new Denon line. I would really like to see if Denon's AVR 5805 will be worth $6,000. Also, I like their entire lineup. See what you can get.

Much will be appreciated!!

Robert Franklin
Baltimore, MD

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Ok-
I have everyones request(s) so far and will be doing my best to track down answers over the next few days. I will try to post pics/info every night. The show doesn't start until Friday, and while I will do my best to have answers on Friday, I may not get to your vendor or product until Saturday or Sunday. If there are any other questions let me know.

Adam

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Adam,
Thanks for offering to do this.
I hope you have a good trip and remember to first and foremost enjoy yourself. Then all that matters is that you go to the Pioneer booth to find out about their dvd players.

Thanks again!

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Its no problem. I have a few Panasonic and Denon pics up. They are only so/so as I wasn't supposed to be on the floor when I took them. Better ones will go up in the next few days. Here is what I have so far in no particular order. I have everything written down and will get to it as I am able to get out on the show floor in the next few days.

The Denon 5805--a picture is worth a 1000 words. Check out the pic and I will get more info on it in the next few days.

Denon DVD players--pics on line more info will be forthcoming.

Panasonic DVD S-97 DVD player will be shipping next month. MSRP $399.95. It uses DCDI processing is available in Silver or Black and can output 720P or 1080i through it's HDMI port. More info soon.

Panasonic SA XR-70 3 video in, 4 audio, 4 digital 6x100 digital amp, HDMI in and outputs! Available in silver and black, DD, DD2x, DTS, DTS-ES more specs and street date soon.

The wesite where I am posting pics is http://www.briertech.net/CEDIA/

FeisalK

Screenwriter
Adam, can you see if Yamaha brought over the DVD-S1500? its just been announced on AVwatch as well.. (despite discussions on here since last year!)

the new x500 receiver/amps are so .. last year, doesn't look (from AVwatch) like they have DVI/HDMI connexions

Cam T.

Auditioning
Hi,

Any info on a successor to the Optoma H56, or any new models in the Optoma lineup would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Cam

Cary

Stunt Coordinator
Adam, I'm curious about any info or pics on the new PSB subs - the Subsonic 8 & 9. Thanks.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Panasonic SA-XR70:
DTS 96/24, DTS-ES, DD-EX, DPLIIx, 100Wx6 digital amp
Analog audio: 5 in, 2 out
Digital audio: 2 opt & 2 coax in, 1 opt out
Composite & S-video: 4 in, 2 out
Component video: 2 in, 1 out
Front panel: VCR out, S-vhs in

Officialy shipping in Nov, but don't expect to see them until the end of Nov/first week or two in December. The Panasonic reps I talked to assured me it would be before Christmas.

Pioneer-
I have a noon appt with one of their PR people so I will have more info tomorrow.

B&K-
Didn't have a chance to swing by yet.

Yamaha-
I see there are more Q's so I will swing back by tomorrow. I have a pic of the front and rear of the RX-V1500 that will be posted to http://www.briertech.net/CEDIA/. I will check out the 2500 and DVD player tomorow. Here are specs:
7.1 (120Wx7)
YPAO Accoustic Optimization
Pure Direct Switch
THX Select + 31 Cinema DSP programs
Night Listening Enhancer
Surround Back AMP usable for zone two
Component video upconversion
RS-232c
8digital inputs
192kHz/24 bit DACs for all channels
Direct access IR codes
Reciever editor (their PC setup program which is pretty cool).

Samsung-
No word on any 1080p DLP sets. It will be quite a while before it will see the light of day. The did have a 1080P 46" LCD monitor that looked fantastic! Great black levels and good shadow detail. It put the sharp to shame. They also had a reciever on display that looked great--AV-R300. 250Wx7 digital amp (8 Ohm!), Auto room EQ, all the surround formats you could want, DVI and HDMI video switching, firewire, and video UP-CONVERSION with Faroudja DCDi video processing. Retail between 3-4K, still several months out.

General-
I would call this the year of HDMI, and distributed audio. Everyone is doing both. Their are a lot of products with HDMI and a lot of vendors that are releasing multi room products. I'll get some pics from today posted to http://www.briertech.net/CEDIA/ in the next hour or so, and get to everything else on the list tomorrow. I hardly put a dent in things today. It takes the full 2.5 days to see everything!

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I added a TON of press info onto the site as well. Feel free to search for any you are interested in, and I can get the file for you as the site they are on is password protected.

Rusty Forbes

Auditioning
Real Name
Russ
I would love to see pics of the 70" SXRD RPTV from Sony.
Any info at all about the Qualia 005 LED displays.
Any info about Blu-ray or HD DVD.
Thanks!

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
A few more updates. I still have to get Denon and Onkyo, and another visit to Marantz, all of which I will do tomorrow. I know someone wanted scaler info, and I will try to get you some, but there aren't any real "stand out" products that I've seen yet. I will visit Key Digital and DVDO tomorrow.

PSB-
Pics of the Subsonic 8, 9 and 10 will be on the web w/in an hour, as well as some specs. Just for grins I will post a pic of the new 400lb $14k Velodyne next to them :)

Optima-
Pics and specs of the H57 (sucessor of the H56) will be on line in the next hour.

B&K-
Upgrades--probably next summer. New processor/reciever is coming out next month. It's the Reference 50 S2 and AVR 505/507 S2. Enhancements include the addition of the new Motorolla chip which adds Dolby PLIIx. The back panel remains the same, but there are a few costmetic differences on the front panel. OSD is now available over component, and composite and S-VHS are converted to component video. All B&K components can now come with a rackmount faceplate for an extra $100. Components are still available in black or the brushed aluminum (silver?). Their "Gucci" roducts have been put on the back burner for at least two years. Not word on a B&K DVD player. They are looking into it, but not idea if they will do one. If they did decide to have one it is at least 1.5 to 2 years away. As to Firewire they are still waiting for all applicable standards to be settled for both DVD-A ans SACD before it is ever enabled. A lot of people share my complaints (I am a Ref 31 owner) about no digital outs or A/D conversion for zone two and the lack of flashable firmware. They are looking into putting an ethernet onto future models for firmware updating.

New Product MSRP: Ref 50 Series 2 $2398, AVR507 Series 2 $3298, AVR505 $2998.

Yamaha-
No DVI or HDMI on the RX-V1500 (MSRP $799) or RX-V2500 (MSRP $1099). DVD pics on the site. DVD-S1500 (MSRP $449) multi channel SACD and DVD-A. There is a 5 disc combo changer available (DVD-C750) for $329. There is a new DVD player coming out in February with an MSRP of $749. It is the DVD-S2500 and has 2 firewire and an HDMI output.

Pioneer-
Pioneer has a few new Plasmas, but no other new products DVD or Reciever. At this time there are no plans for a big universal DVD player, and odds are it won't ever happen as the big mega changers aren't huge sellers, as there is very little demand for them. I haven't seen any others at the show either. Pioneer hasn't lowered the MSRP onthe DV-59avi and has no plans to. If you are seeing lower prices they are being lowered at the retail level.

Marantz-
I need to re-visit tomorrow for more details. Most recievers are being replaced. All but the bottom one or two offer component upconversionThe high end one is SR9300V, but it has no DVI or HDMI. The next one down is the SR8500. THX select, 110x7, 4 component in, DVI switching (2 in, 1 out), upto three zones, and IR in. It will be shipping in November with the same MSRP as the 8400 (no one could tell me what that was).

The pics you were looking for that I took today are online at http://www.briertech.net/CEDIA/ It will take me a while to upload them as I am doing it via cellular modem.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Denon-
I assumed the 2910 was a replacement for the 2900, but it is actually the 2200s replacement. The 3910 hasmost of the guts from the 5900. The changes are mostly cosmetic except for better DACS, 2 channel mixdown, HDMI, and a power supply that's not quite as beefy as what was in the 5900. The 5910 DVD player and 4805 reciever will be announced at CEDIA. While it is speculated that there will be a pre-amp version of the 5805 the offical company line is non-commital. Is the 5805 worth the price tag? I don't know. it certainly is one of the most flexible pieces on the market, but I guess it depends on what your needs are. If you need a 4 zone reciever that still give you a home theater, or a single reciever that can do 5.1 in two zones (the amp channels are assignable to what ever zone you want) this may be what you want. Ethernet, firewire, DVI, HDMI, AC-3 RF, etc, etc, etc.

Marantz-
The upconversion on component is available in the 4500 on up.

JVC-
The rear projection D-ILA sets were only as good as the material. If the source was ok, they looked ok, if it was great, they looked great. It's the same way I feel about DLP rear projections. The JVC DLA-HD2K 3 chip 1080P projector was another story--WOW!!! It looked very good (MSRP $30k). The one chip model didn't have 1080P native, but looked almost as good at the $13K MSRP price point.

Coolest gadget of the show-
Sony's location free tv. Not only does it stream TV/DVD/??? to the included LCD TV over WIFI at MPEG-2 quality, if you are anywhere in the world with internet, it will stream TV or whatever other video sources you have plugged into it to you over the internet using MPEG-4, plus you will be able to control the components over the internet using the IR blaster at the base.

Rob-
No info on Onkyo. They were AWOL from the show. I guess that explains the extra big Integra booth this year. I tried talking to some on Onkyo's distributors, but they didn't have any info either. Sorry. I tried.

Rob Kramer

Second Unit

Thanks for you efforts.

Yeah, the 2910 is just the 2200 with DCDi and digital outputs. The audio side is a direct carryover. No changes were made. This model doesnt seem worth the hype that some are making of it (I can understand the interest in the 1910 & 3910).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks