What's new

2003 Release Schedule of High Profile Titles (1 Viewer)

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter

All the better. If King Kong looks anywhere near as good as Citizen Kane I will be an extremely happy person. I say keep 'em coming!

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
All the better. If King Kong looks anywhere near as good as Citizen Kane I will be an extremely happy person.
Yup, let's see what kind of fine detail they can completely erase from King Kong like they did with the rain in Citizen Kane.
I don't understand this desire to see old movies transferred to DVD in a manner that no longer looks like film. Aren't we defeating the whole purpose here?

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Robert,
Going off topic a tad...
Out of curiousity, may I ask your opinion on the "digital restoration" employed on the Criterion release of The Third Man?
Personally, I'm quite fond of that one...they used the technology to repair a lot of damage, yet it still looks very film-like. It's one of my favourite of all DVD transfers...and, yes, you can see the grain. :)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Rain, I'm more interested in Robert's opinion of whether or not It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World SE belongs on that list!

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
David,
Unfortunately I think you already answered your own question on that one.
It's a sad loss. I remember Robert saying before that what surviving elements there were (of the missing footage) would not be salvagable for much longer.
That fate should never befall any film in this day and age. :frowning:

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter

Well, all I meant is that Citizen Kane looks fantastic. I've seen many versions of Kane and the new DVD blows them all away. The now infamous "loss of rain" scene is a shame, but I insist it's a small price to pay for such a great looking transfer.

Maybe the ideal solution is to find a happy medium between preservation and digital restoration. But back to the topic at hand, any word on supplements for Kong?

Seth_S

Second Unit
Well, all I meant is that Citizen Kane looks fantastic. I've seen many versions of Kane and the new DVD blows them all away. The now infamous "loss of rain" scene is a shame, but I insist it's a small price to pay for such a great looking transfer.
I recently saw a 35mm print (not the new restored print) of Kane on the big screen. While the print was pretty good, the DVD simply blew it away. Obviously the print looked more film like since it was film, but the contrast and detail levels on the DVD were far superior. The DVD really allows you to appreciate Toland's brilliant cinematography.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
The Third Man said:
No it doesn't, since it does not accurately reflect his work. Among other things, it's WAY brighter than it should be.
It may very well look "nice," but it doesn't look like it's supposed to.

GregK

Screenwriter
Warner Brother's mentioned House of Wax as a future DVD release. I am keeping the fingers crossed hoping they do it right by provide the original 3-D version as well.
Remember to sign the House of Wax petition! (All E-mail addresses are kept confidential) ...550 votes so far! http://www.petitiononline.com/8519/petition.html

Seth_S

Second Unit
No it doesn't, since it does not accurately reflect his work. Among other things, it's WAY brighter than it should be.
How can you say unless you've saw the film when it premiered?

All the prints and homevideo versions I've seen are too dark to be considered artistic.

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
People still care what the AFI thinks? If you want a good list of "best films ever", check out the Sight and Sound International Critics Poll
I understand and perhaps, surprisingly, agree about the 'fetish with lists' thing. Unfortunately, a benchmark of goodness needs to be established despite the fact than any 'list' will be contreversial by definition. As far as the AFI list it has a notable set of inclusions/omissions which I will decline to comment on since everyone will have their own favorite lists and there is no way we could ever arrive at a consensus list here ;) . Since AFI, by definition, only includes American films, some great foreign titles will be naturally excluded. In my opinion any International List would also include "The Seven Samurai" and "The Seventh Seal".
Joel

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
I don't really think this is a valid comment. I'm starting to see things Rain's way (what the....did I just say that?!). Cleaning, crisping, and brightening a transfer to all hell for the DVD release may look better to the untrained eye, but losing original detail such as that soft luminescence quality of film should not be a a side effect. I'm starting to reverse my stand on the Kane transfer.

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
Joel! That was as well-worded, fair, and diplomatic a response as I've ever seen here! Congrats!
Thanks, Dave. For someone not frequently noted for 'diplomacy' I am touched and bit surprised in myself as well :b . It must have been after a rare self reflective day ;) .
Joel

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
For the first time ever, I'm going to do a 180 on this.
I've never really cared for extras at all, but I'm not even going to consider buying KK unless they put the outtakes in.
I'll never forget Kong reaching down for a snack and chomping on a native or two.
Oh, it has to be in its OAR too! (Sorry, I couldn't resist) :)
Glenn

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
Just for relative completeness, I am adding Thelma and Louise SE (Feb. release):

- Raiders of the Lost Ark *
- Schindler's List *
- Giant *
- King Kong *
- Grapes of Wrath *
- The Jazz Singer *
- African Queen *
- Where Eagles Dare
- Adventures of Robin Hood
- Two Towers
- Predator SE
- Dances with Wolves SE **
- Blade Runner SE
- Harry Potter and the Chamber Of Secrets
- The Thing '51
- Dial M For Murder
- Goodfellas SE **
- Scarface SE
- Day the Earth Stood Still
- My Darling Clementine
- HUD
- Zulu SE
- Raging Bull SE **
- Lion King
- Sleeping Beauty
- Great Escape SE
- Once Upon a Time in America
- 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
- One Million Years B.C.
- Best Little Whorehouse in Texas
- Signs
- Dead Reckoning
- How Green Was My Valley
- The Money Pit
- Road to Predition
- Batman SE
- It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World SE
- The Great Escape SE
- Orgazmo SE
- Clerks super SE
- The Howling SE
- Miller's Crossing
- Escape from New York
- Dawn of the Dead
- Thelma and Louise SE

* AFI top 100 (not currently available on DVD)
** AFI top 100 (currently available DVD's to be enhanced)

Joel

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
...but losing original detail such as that soft luminescence quality of film should not be a a side effect. I'm starting to reverse my stand on the Kane transfer.
Glad to hear you're coming around. :emoji_thumbsup:
Sorry if I ruined it for you, though. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks