What's new

2003 Release Schedule of High Profile Titles (1 Viewer)

Claes Ljunghorn

Stunt Coordinator
Where did the rumor come from for The Jazz Singer?
It suposedly started at a screening of a restored print of "Mammy" (1930) in New York earlier this month (If I remember correctly!)

The rumor is that it was announced that a DVD of "Jazz Singer" was coming out soon. And that it was to feature a new film transfer and audio restored from a mint set of Original Vitaphone discs.

DanHaya

Second Unit
Regarding King Kong, sources from WB have said many times that it was being restored for a 2003 release in honor of it's 70th anniversary. I believe that the film was released in April 1933, so look for it to come out sometime around April 2003 (if it is ready).

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I have not seen The Thing '51 myself although I have read numerous articles about this one.
Count me in
:D

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Let's see what's scheduled for sure right now. Not all of these are "high profile" according to everyone, but where I'm in doubt I'll include them on the list:
01/07/03 Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (Universal; Burt Reynolds, Dolly Pardon, Dom Deluise, & Charles Durning)
01/07/03 Signs (Buena Vista; Mel Gibson)
01/14/03 Bullet (Warner; Mickey Rourke & Tupac Shakur)
01/14/03 Dead Reckoning (Columbia; Humprhey Bogart)
01/14/03 Devil at 4 O'Clock (Columbia; Spencer Tracy & Frank Sinatra)
01/14/03 How Green Was My Valley (Fox; Walter Pidgeon, Maureen O'Hara, & Roddy McDowall)
02/04/03 The Money Pit (Universal; Tom Hanks & Shelly Long)
03/18/03 The Long and Winding Road (Passport; The Beatles)
...I threw that last one on there for grins. :) I'm sure I'm forgetting several, esp. from Universal, but that's what I can think of/find right this second!

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
Let's see now. So far we have quite a few identified classics and other high profile titles on the rumored '03 release list for R1. I'm going to update this list to reflect your collective input (selectively filtered to include only high profile titles IMHO):
- Raiders of the Lost Ark *
- Schindler's List *
- Giant *
- King Kong *
- Grapes of Wrath *
- The Jazz Singer *
- African Queen *
- Where Eagles Dare
- Adventures of Robin Hood
- Two Towers
- Predator SE
- Dances with Wolves SE **
- Blade Runner SE
- Harry Potter and the Chamber Of Secrets
- The Thing '51
- Dial M For Murder
- Goodfellas SE **
- Scarface SE
- Day the Earth Stood Still
- My Darling Clementine
- HUD
- Zulu SE
- Raging Bull SE **
- Lion King
- Sleeping Beauty
- Great Escape SE
- Once Upon a Time in America
- 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
- One Million Years B.C.
- Best Little Whorehouse in Texas
- Signs
- Dead Reckoning
- How Green Was My Valley
- The Money Pit
- Road to Predition
* AFI top 100 (not currently available on DVD)
** AFI top 100 (currently available DVD's to be enhanced)
If the current list is 'mostly' true we would have as many as 7 new AFI 100 releases and 3 top 100 DVD enhanced titles. Additionally, 25 high profile titles are identified as possible releases. This would indeed become an expensive year :frowning: if most of these and a couple of new ones pop up with the usual releases of existing and future 'blockbuster' movies through next summer.
Joel

GaryEA

Second Unit
How about the Batman: SE that has been mention from time to time?
I think (key word) that I heard it slated for sometime next year, but that might be my anticipation messing around with my memory.
-g

Marty Lockstead

Second Unit
I'm surprised to see that two of my personal wants for 2003 didn't seem to be mentioned:ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK:SE and the 25th anniversary THX restored editions of DAWN OF THE DEAD from Anchor Bay, which I've heard will include three different versions of the film in a set together, or individually. Those being; the original theatrical cut, the extended director's cut and the European cut. Speaking of Schindler's List, Scarface, and Goodfellas however, they are also on my want list. I also have some titles I'm wondering about:THEY LIVE, ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13, and PRINCE OF DARKNESS. I realize that they have since gone out of print, as they were previously released via Image Entertainment, but I'm hoping that Universal will re-release them in special editions. Thanks for any info you may have.

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
I'm surprised to see that two of my personal wants for 2003 didn't seem to be mentioned:ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK:SE and the 25th anniversary THX restored editions of DAWN OF THE DEAD from Anchor Bay, which I've heard will include three different versions of the film in a set together, or individually.
Marty, are these both titles that are slated for 2003? I've heard that Escape from New York is likely (if not already commited) but I wasn't aware of Dawn of the Dead...

Joel

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
Dawn of the Dead (already released twice in R1) will come out again in 2003, both in regular and multi-disc deluxe editions. Day of the Dead is also confirmed to have a super-special edition, along with another Halloween release SE. Also a Meet the Feebles special edition is in the works for 2003. All to be released by Anchor Bay (hopefully first half) in 2003.

What about...

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World SE
The Great Escape SE
Orgazmo SE
Clerks super SE
The Howling SE

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I am really looking forward to the DVD release as to have some historical docs about the concentration camps.
Don't know about you but I like to get "historical facts" from a more "neutral" source then that.
Yeah the Indy movies been definitely been rumored.
And what ever happened with the Batman SE and Blade Runner SE?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
What about...

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World SE
Nope. Our favorite Restorationist hasn't exactly come in here trumpeting that he's got to funding to make that happen.

Also, our fearless leader would be so pleased as punch you couldn't wipe the smile from his face.

Nah; that's not on the slate yet.

Al_M

Stunt Coordinator
Bob Black:
I beleive Dawn of the Dead (:emoji_thumbsup:) is confirmed by Anchor Bay on their website for a "Summer 2003" release!
:D Can't wait!

Alistair_M

Second Unit
You can pretty much count on
Great Escape SE - 2 disk
Predator SE - 2 disk
mainly because they have already been released in region 4 and region 2.
Great Escape is a good release - with a commentary, 3 docs plus its at last anamorphic. However the doc on the current release wasn't included.
The specs can be found at :
http://www.ezydvd.com.au/
Sid the Sloth

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
Here is an update to the list thus far:

- Raiders of the Lost Ark *
- Schindler's List *
- Giant *
- King Kong *
- Grapes of Wrath *
- The Jazz Singer *
- African Queen *
- Where Eagles Dare
- Adventures of Robin Hood
- Two Towers
- Predator SE
- Dances with Wolves SE **
- Blade Runner SE
- Harry Potter and the Chamber Of Secrets
- The Thing '51
- Dial M For Murder
- Goodfellas SE **
- Scarface SE
- Day the Earth Stood Still
- My Darling Clementine
- HUD
- Zulu SE
- Raging Bull SE **
- Lion King
- Sleeping Beauty
- Great Escape SE
- Once Upon a Time in America
- 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
- One Million Years B.C.
- Best Little Whorehouse in Texas
- Signs
- Dead Reckoning
- How Green Was My Valley
- The Money Pit
- Road to Predition
- Batman SE
- It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World SE
- The Great Escape SE
- Orgazmo SE
- Clerks super SE
- The Howling SE
- Miller's Crossing
- Escape from New York
- Dawn of the Dead

* AFI top 100 (not currently available on DVD)
** AFI top 100 (currently available DVD's to be enhanced)

This is shaping up to be a pretty good year if many/most of these come to pass.

Joel

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
If King Kong should be "restored" by the same company that "restored" Citizen Kane, then it would not be restored, simply digitally cleansed of any reminder that it was once a "film."

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
Robert, do you know of any plans to bring The Jazz Singer out next year as has been discussed in this thread? If so will it be getting the appropriate level of restoration work in your opinion?
Joel

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks