What's new

2003 MLB World Series thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Okay, the World Series starts tonight, with impressive gut-checks by both teams to get into the World Series.

I'm picking the Marlins over the Yankees in 7 games. I don't imagine either team is going to run away with it, and it doesn't help the Marlins that they can't start Josh Beckett 3 times (should it go to game 7, though I imagine he could go in game 7 for a few innings if need be). Plus the rotation for the Yankees isn't as "set" as Torre would like it to either.

But you have to give the edge in closer to the Yankees, though the scrappiness of the Marlins will put him to the test.

robert dawson

Auditioning
IM STILL PICKING THE CUBS....SO LONG AGO ...THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN THEIR....REALLY DONT CARE IM NOT A HIGH DOLLAR YANKEE FAN ...I THINK THE YANKEE WILL TAKE THREE GAMES RIGHT OUT AND THEN LOSE I HOPE THE NEXT 4.....

BY THE WAY DOES ANY ONE KNOW THAT CUB FAN THAT TOUCHED THE BALL IN THE EIGHT INNING AT CHICAGO....I THINK WE HAD RU

MORS THAT HE'S IN COOK COUNTY HOSIPTAL......:D

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THEIR TOYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
robert,

Stop SHOUTING!

:frowning:

P.S. The Cub's fan is not in the hospital. If he was do you really think that's funny?

Peter

LewB

Screenwriter
OK, I've been wrong about everything regarding my Yankees so far, but...
I can't help but have the feeling that Joe Torre might, I repeat might consider sacrificing this game to get the pitching staff back on schedule.
Read this morning that Mo Rivera and Mel Stottlemyre would decide if Mo could pitch tonight based on a workout today. If, by chance Boomer Wells gets into trouble, I would not be surprised to see Contreras or even Weaver (yes, WEAVER!) in for extended duty. Being down by 1 game in a 7 game series might not be the worst thing if the pitching rotation got settled down.
Having said that, Boomer will hopefully pitch 8 scoreless innings and Mo will come out for a 1 inning save. Boomer is strong with the Babe, wears number 33 and bought an old cap once worn by the Bambino. LETS GO YANKS !!

John Madia

Second Unit
Ever since I saw the Marlins sweep their last series with the Phillies, it just seemed that the Marlins had "it" this year and I predict them in six. They'll have a huge advantage at home with either Johnson or Giambi out of the lineup. If they take one of the first two in New York, they have a very good shot at winning it all.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Evenly matched game so far. Incredible play by Rodriguez catching Johnson napping which may or may not loom large as things go on.

Shaky start by Wells in the 1st but he's pitched much better than the last time he pitched the opener of the WS back in 98 when the Padres were really lighting into him.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Bern baby burn! :)

All the "baseball fans" upset over the lack of certain uniforms in this World Series are missing a great game.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
And the tension mounts even more! Posada with another chance to tie a big game.

Looks like the great play of the LCS is really carrying over into the World Series.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Three outs to go for Florida to take Game 1. The last two WS games at Yankee Stadium had them facing defeat with one out to go so let's see if lightning strikes thrice or whether the ten game home WS winning streak comes to an end.

Either way, even if they lose I don't feel panicked at all. There was so much exhaustion after Game 7 it wouldn't have surprised me if Game 1 turned out to be a letdown.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Soriano alas has become a weak link in the lineup with his chronic inability to deliver throughout the entire postseason.

Just have to get them in Game 2 now.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
With hindsight, Boone's failure to try for the play at the plate on that third run was really a mistake. But you just have to move on from that and remember that the Yankees already lost the first game at home in both of the previous series and that didn't matter in the end.

LewB

Screenwriter
I hate Fox !
Amazingly enough they showed the player introductions. I notice Yogi Berra and Whitey Ford in the Yankee dugout. Cool I says, Yogi and Whitey to do the first pitch. Fox doesn't show it :angry: :angry: :angry:
Then they have some twirp who happens to be in the employ of Fox 'sing' the Star Spangled Banner. That rendition was supposed to make me WANT to watch that jerk's show ? Not Me !
Boomer Wells did exactly what the team needed him to do. He pitched deep into the game and they had a chance to win. Boone's play was a mistake, I thought he could have cut the throw and relayed it to Posada and still had a chance at the runner. I can't get too upset about it though, they have only themselves to blame for only scoring 2 runs !
Fox did catch Lee Mazilli coaching Nick Johnson in the dugout. He was telling Johnson to go back to 3rd standing up when the catcher tries to pick him off, standing blocks the throw from the catcher. Glad to see all those mics paying off.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Agreed on the National Anthem. It is a joke when Fox forces choices like that to shamefully plug their rotten shows that I have no intention of ever watching. Yankee Stadium in the World Series should mean Robert Merrill and no one else on the National Anthem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks