1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

2003 ML Baseball Playoff Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Patrick Sun, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Ouch, looks like my prediction of Yanks in 4 is going to be an uphill battle as the Twins take game 1 by a score of 3-1.

(Granted, I would not be sad if the Yankees did lose in the first round)

2. Steven K

Steven K Well-Known Member

HA! The Yankees lost! I'm a huge Minnesota fan this week!

Down with the Yanks! Down with Torre and the rest of the bottomless pocketbook crew!

3. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Well-Known Member

I am particularly happy after George’s complaints about the unfairness of the Yankees having to play an afternoon game during the week..

4. Mark Schermerhorn

Mark Schermerhorn Well-Known Member

Alright Twins [​IMG] I "watched" the game on ESPN gamecast, but from what I saw numerically, it was a traditional Twins win. Excellent but not dominating pitching, timely hitting, awesome defense, and of course, a heart attack special from Eddie G. Somehow he always pulls it out.

Steven K: Be careful what you wish for...

5. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Well-Known Member

6. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Well-Known Member

Calm down Jason, I just meant that part of the charm of the Red Sox to us non-Red Sox fans has been the so called curse. If the Red Sox win the World Series this year they will just be another team to the rest of us.

You're lucky! At least the Sox have been to the World Series (and won 5 times). Plus the Patriots won the Super Bowl in 2001, and you have all those Celtic and Bruins Championships to look back on.

Try living in Seattle. In 26 years, the Mariners have only had 8 over-.500 seasons. The closest we came to the series was losing to the Yankees twice in the ALCS. The city has only produced 2 professional Championships (1917 NHL and 1979 NBA). The one bright spot has been The University of Washington Huskies who've won 6 Rose Bowls and was the co-NCAA Champion in 1991.

7. LewB

LewB Well-Known Member

It was a beautiful day in the Bronx, clear skies, bright sunshine.
    Parking was $20, up from the regular season $10. Scorecard was $8 up from the regular season $5. The Foster's beer 'oil can' was $9.50. The Sausage and pepper sandwich was $7.50 (it was quite tasty though and now my favorite over a hot dog). Just tourist info here, no whining, honest.
    From a Yankee fans' perspective this was an ugly way to start the playoffs. Bad fielding led to 2 of the 3 Twins' runs. Mussina pitched well enough and deserved a better fate. Nick Johnson and Jason Giambi went oh fer the day with only 1 ball hit out of the infield. Only Derek Jeter showed he knew how to play playoff baseball. Hurricane George was seen off-shore building up steam.

8. Ashley Seymour

Ashley Seymour Well-Known Member

What pitching performances by Schmidt for SF and Beckett for Florida. The 23 year old kid stood in there like a Clemens or Martinez. Great potential for them over the next few years.

The Barry, the base on balls, the base stealer, the game. He will get his swings and it will be awesome.

9. John Thomas

John Thomas Well-Known Member

10. Steven K

Steven K Well-Known Member

11. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Well-Known Member

Well, Braves watched the Yankee game today and emulated it. Bad fielding. Good start for the best records in baseball huh. Sheffield, you really need to do more than that when complaining a few weeks ago.

Experts predicted the Braves/Cubs to a T. Kerry Wood was amazing. Pitching with a milk dud sized strike zone and all.

"All Time October Choke Team" plaque here we come!

12. John Thomas

John Thomas Well-Known Member

13. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Well-Known Member

Brian

14. Grant B

Grant B Well-Known Member

Must say the Giants-Marlins game was a great pitching duel. Got a ticket for tommorrow too, cant wait
    Grant

15. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Well-Known Member

16. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Well-Known Member

Well the best equalizer to the Braves killer offense is a killer pitching staff and the Cubs have plenty of that. Good Luck to them as I think they got the better end of the stick as opposed to the Marlins landing the Giants.

Forgot my picks for the playoffs..

RedSox in 5
    Cubs in 5
    Giants in 5
    Twins in 4

and yes I'm predicting the apocolypse in the Cubs vs Red Sox. The moons are indeed aligned.

17. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Premium
    Supporter

18. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Actually, the batting averages of Ortiz vs. most of the Cubs hitters was pretty high, while the batting averages of the Braves lineup vs. Kerry Woods was low. So the odds were in the Cubs favor last night.

That being said, Fick probably did cost the Braves the game on the defensive side, while the bat didn't come through in the 8th inning. Plus Ortiz just made a really bad pitch to Woods (when he drove in 2 runs with the hit into the left-center gap).

19. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Well-Known Member

Me too! Would he rather have the Sox schedule? 10:00 pm EDT tonight and 4:00 pm EDT tomorrow. Tonight's game will get over around 1:00 am! I should be really productive at work tomorrow. The Yankees have today off and Friday off to rest pitchers. He should just shut his trap! Fat chance....

Steve, Jason, did you guys get in on the lottery for Monster Seats?

I'll be in Copley Square with my 3 year-old daughter on Saturday. I have to find a place to go to watch the game. I wish they'd do the 25' screen on the plaza again!

Ralph

20. Steeve Bergeron

Steeve Bergeron Well-Known Member

Steeve Bergeron
    Go Expos! [​IMG]