What's new

2003 ML Baseball Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Phil, don't worry about it...I'm a huge A's fan and have kind of a spooky kind of memory, so I can tend to get a bit anal.

Yeah, Beane is the real deal...so happy he decided to say in Oakland to be close to his daughter. But what happens when she goes away for college (I think she's 14 now)???

Heaven forbid she goes to Harvard! Red Sox here we come for Beane.

As an Oakland fan, the day we lose that guy is the day I know we will no longer be competitive under baseballs present system.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Vincent,
All I can say is he better be back for all that money we are spending :)

Their bullpen(especially Ashby) worries me and their general lack of offense.

Vincent Matis

Second Unit
Real Name
Vincent Matis
I find their bullpen amazing (except for Ashby: amazingly bad)... I only fear overuse.
Their offense worries me a lot more:
Even the once powerful McGriff is silent...
Izturis is a fine defensive SS, but please don't let him switch-hit...
And poor Shawn Green chasing balls waaaaaaay out of the strike zone... (3K yesterday)
And the batters should be more patient... The BB leader (projected to 162 games) would be Roberts with only 62 BB!!
In fact Roberts is their sole offensive weapon (.390 OBP from the leadoff spot, 10/12 SB)

Vincent

Phil L

Supporting Actor
ESPN says that Randy Johnson will have surgery on his knee and be out 3-6 weeks. This should be Curt Schilling's chance to stet up and win a Cy Young but he hasn't been himself yet either.

I assume that if Arizona falls farther behind San Fransisco the chance of Schilling getting traded goes way up.

I guess this is a year for Millwood, Morris, Glavine, Maddux, Schmidt, Wood, Prior, or Oswalt to get the Cy Young.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Scott, I think he was referring to the fact that Brown's last start was against Philly, and was a very good outing leading to a Dodger victory.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Boston area folks... I've got an extra ticket to this Saturday's Sox game with Pedro pitching against Minnesota. Email or PM me if you'd like it and don't mind listening to me blather on about whatever movie I saw the night before.

And it's free to a good home; the person for whom it was originally purchased can't make it and I just don't want it to go to waste.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Scott, I think he was referring to the fact that Brown's last start was against Philly, and was a very good outing leading to a Dodger victory.
Aha, I see. That's what I get for missing a few games. Checked the box score; Brown was awesome.

Just one game though. ;)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
What has gotten into the Braves?

They get the defense going again, the bat are now lit up, and the pitching has come almost full circle.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Last night's Jays game...well, it was the first one that I attended that truly stunk. It's difficult to find anything positive to say about it, and I'm a pretty upbeat, easy-to-please person. I have to be, since I'm a Jays fan. :D

At least Hudson came out of his hitting slump in a big way, and Tam, Miller and Politte didn't let in any runs. Escobar is still the big dog in my doghouse, even though his dreadful single inning performance made no difference to the outcome of the game.

Someone remind me: was Escobar ever any good as a closer? JP seems reluctant to get rid of him.

16,000 fans at the game, which is about average for the season, though by the time I got there the actual attendance was much less. Must've been depressing for the Jays after having 48,000 the night before.

Looks like I'm going to hit all four of the next games (tonight -- but late, then all of Friday, Saturday, and Sunday's games), since my wife is working this weekend. Hopefully they turn it around a bit. I'm hoping that they're not becoming dispirited or down about themselves, and I'm trying to figure out what I can do as one fan to show the Jays that I love 'em and that they have my support, regardless of the outcome of the season. Some creative signage needs to be thunk up.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Yeh Braves are on a hot steak right now. Batting really great.

What's up with the Mets this year? They are terrible!

Poor KC has lost 3 in a row and I can't believe the Phillies might get swept by LA.

Phil L

Supporting Actor
AJ Burnett is out for 18 months. They've got another pitcher out for a while. They can't contend and they're paying Pudge a ton. They got him for one year because they thought they could make the post season.

There's a rumor that the Marlins front office knew that Burnett had a bone spur and choose not to do anything

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0501/1548066.html

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Holy crap!

Did anyone else see the Jays sweep the Angels? All of my prayers were answered: three strong starts, including one from a pitcher picked up off of waivers, and three days of great relief, including a solid outing from Escobar, closing not as the closer. Maybe he just needed the pressure removed?

Didn't hurt that the Jays were a lot more solid defensively than they've been all year, too. Hinske made a number of dazzling plays at third, and while his home run numbers are way down (I think he only has one so far this year), and his average is only so-so (though it's rising -- he had a rough start), he's battling to be the King of Doubles, which is a good crown to wear. So good for Eric! He's improved his defense tremendously and he's starting to produce offensively.

And Delgado and Wells are one-two in RBIs in the AL!

So now it's time for some speedy revenge against the Rangers. Here's hoping our pitching staff will have gained a great deal of confidence from these last three games. I know I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks