What's new

2003-2004 NFL Season (Playoffs and coaching moves) (1 Viewer)

Matty P

Stunt Coordinator
good god, my beloved Pats cut Lawyer Milloy and he signs with Buffalo the next day??!!! This should make for an interesting Sunday opener.........

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
C'mon. They made the wisest offseason move in the NFL. The signing of Kordell Stewart!
Actually IMHO I think the worst offseason move was to let go of Hugh Douglas in Philly but the season will tell if that matters a whole lot.

Kordell will be decent enough to work until they groom their next QB but still I don't see them winning more games than my hopeless Cowboys. I would be thrilled with a 8-8 season.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Actually IMHO I think the worst offseason move was to let go of Hugh Douglas in Philly but the season will tell if that matters a whole lot.
As an Eagles fan, I agree with you. However, Andy Reid has a proven track record so we'll have to give him the benefit of the doubt at this point.

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
I agree losing Hugh was big. I also think not getting a big name wide reciever, especially with their cap room, was not smart. Then again, I'm not running a football team, so what do I know?

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
To be frank I don't think the big name wide recievers were there. Peerless is somewhat overrated IMHO and Atlanta offered too much. And then there is David Boston who comes with his own set of issues and neither one of these will come cheap.

There wasn't much out there IMHO unless the Eagles wanted to not get a replacement for their D which would have been a mistake imho.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Well, Laverneas Coles showed to be a good pickup. He had 106 yds receiving. Imagine if Philly picked him up. ;)

Good game tonight, though I was sorta going for the Jets.

Ric Bagoly

Senior HTF Member
What we saw tonight were two mediocre teams who WILL NOT go to the playoffs. The Jets looked absolutely anemic tonight, and one seriously needs to question their front office management. They get rid of their best receiver (who lit em up tonight), one of the best kickers in the league, and one of the best kick return men as well?? Did they WANT this to be a rebuilding year, after a Division Title last season? Vinny has nothing left, as he appeared to be winded in the second quarter. And how about that third-down play calling? Lamont Jordan is one of the worst third down backs in the league!! This team is a sad sad mess...

As for the Redskins, they should be pleased. The running game was strong, Ramsey showed tremendous poise, albeit against a one man D (Abraham), and the defense showed alot of guts especially in the fourth quarter. Yes, as usual, the referees did their best to keep it close, but the Skins showed great perseverance. Now let's see them do that against a first-tier team.

Doug R

Supporting Actor
I wouldn't count the Redskins out just yet. I don't think they'll win their division obviously, but I think if they can improve over the course of the season, they have the talent to sneak in as a wild card team.

It doesn't help they have one of the toughest schedules in the league, though.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Good first half. Spurrier impressed me by allowing his offense to control the clock. Welcome to the NFL!

Coles looked like one of the best receivers in the NFL, which he is. Why is Canidate the starter? Betts looked d*** good.

I agree with Ric, though. Two decent teams, playing fairly decently. But you can't tell anything from one (or even two or three) games. Pennington could have made the difference. Or Brandon Noble.

Still, football has started for real. That's a GREAT thing!

Take care,
Chuck

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Jets offense look anemic. What a surprise, since they are missing last year's QB and top receiver. The Jets are destined for last place in the AFC East.

While Washington looked good in the first half, it remains to be seen how they will play against a good team. I agree that Ladell Betts looked much better than Canidate. He should win the starting job before too long.

The best thing about the game? It was broadcast in HDTV!

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
The best thing about the game? It was broadcast in HDTV!
You got that right Scott! :emoji_thumbsup: The Jets looked terrible. Unfortunately for me I got stuck with Curtis Martin in the HTF II football league. He ended up with less than 20 touches and got pulled at the goal line. :angry: I did manage to pick up Betts though. I'd been thinking about him previously (not high on Canidate) and after watching his first few carries last night I pulled the trigger. Hopefully he'll take over the starting job soon.

Ric Bagoly

Senior HTF Member
So, anybody excited yet?? :D :D

My pix for Sunday-

Detroit Lions over Arizona-Arizona thinx they can win with the immortal but vulnerable Emmitt Smith at the helm. But does anybody even know (or care) who their starting QB is??

Miami Dolphins over Houston-an easy win over a lightly regarded team...

New York Giants over St. Louis-expect a shootout with home field making the difference...

Denver Broncos over Cinninati-Plummer won't mess up against that defense, and Carson Palmer's only getting started...

Green Bay Packers over Minnesota-This shouldn't be too much trouble...

Pittsburgh Steelers over Baltimore-Expect Maddox to have a big day while Kyle Boller will not...

New England Patriots over Buffalo-This might be the Game Of The Year...

San Diego Chargers over Kansas City-Gut instinct, that Marty will have his team ready. Both Holmes and LD should have over 100...

Jacksonville Jaguars over Carolina-Two weak teams, but I'm not sure if Brunell's done yet...

Cleveland Browns over Indianapolis-Another all-out war, with Holcomb outplaying Manning...

Dallas Cowboys over Atlanta-Vick's not playing, so Parcells should outfox Reeves...

San Francisco 49ers over Chicago-Look for Garcia to shine...

Seattle Seahawks over New Orleans-Alexander outrushes McCalister...

Tennessee Titans over Oakland-The March to a possible Super Bowl begins...

Tampa Bay Buccaneers over Philadelphia-Toughest pick of all, but have to go with my instincts.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Detroit Lions over Arizona-Arizona thinx they can win with the immortal but vulnerable Emmitt Smith at the helm. But does anybody even know (or care) who their starting QB is??
Tisk, tisk. We Lions fans know better than to ever predict a Detroit win. They loss more than their fair share of games they should win. Who knows, the game today could be for the #1 pick in next April's draft. :)

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
I'm embarrassed to be a Dol-Fan today. I wasn't able to watch or listen to the game but looking at the play-by-play and stats it appears they stunk things up in a major way.

Don't they know they're not supposed to suck 'til December?

:)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I'm embarrassed to be a Dol-Fan today.
Heck I wouldn't worry about the lose, it's just one game. Although in recent history the Fins usually start out hot in September and then fade badly towards the end of the season. Perhaps this year they will do the opposite.

What surprises me is how after all the practices and four preseason games so many teams just look flat today. Kind of makes me question the value of playing any preseason games at all.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I predict Miami will be 4 and 12 at the end of the season.
I admit that I haven't been following football that much yet, (not with my baseball team in the hunt for the post season) but I’ll be shocked if Miami isn't in the race until the very end.

Now the football team I pull for on the other hand will be fortunate to finish 9-7 this year.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Dallas is getting outplayed by the Falcons today, and Doug Johnson was more than up for the challenge to keep the QB seat warmed up for Michael Vick. The Falcons' 4th quarter drive burnt off a lot of time, and put them up by 2 TDs with just over 3 minutes to play.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks