What's new

2003-2004 NBA Season (1 Viewer)

Hunter P

Screenwriter

:laugh: :confused: :rolleyes:

Whatever, man. Keep playing the role of "stereotypical elitist Laker fan." You would be hard pressed to find anything I said that can be construed as anything more than a fan rooting for his own team, yet still "fair and balanced.":p)

Back to the NBA:
Denver already has two quality wins under their belt. I think they are the GS Warriors of last year: almost but not quite good enough to make the playoffs. They have a solid point guard, underrated PF that many teams would love to have, spark plug 6th man (Barry) and a difficult to guard rookie forward. They also have an apparently healthy Camby and the guy that helped create the buzz for the Warriors last year, Boykins. I'd say they have all the elements of a solid team.

Memphis and Utah also have some quality wins already. It looks like even the "bad" teams on the West are not going to be easy wins for the Big 5. The East looks like it is going as planned. No big surprises so far.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member

Oh, well, I've been called worse. :)

My take on the early part of the year:

Geez, is some crappy basketball being played right now, or what?!? I mean these games have been UGLY! The Magic looked truly pathetic last night, as did the Spurs (without Duncan, Parker, etc, granted.) Few teams can score, and those that can (read Mavs), play no D. The gulf between West and East has never seemed wider. New Jersey is the only team in the East that would even have a prayer of making the playoffs in the West. Once again, the Western Conference Finals will be the de facto NBA Finals.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Didn't some NBA team not even crack 60 points for an entire game?

So, at this very early point in the season, Carmelo is helping his team win, and against regarded teams no less.

If Lebron's Cavs wind up losing 75% of their games (in the first half), it won't matter what Lebron does on the court because people will tune out.

Hunter P

Screenwriter

Yeah, Minny gets held to a franchise low of 61 by the Nets then takes their frustration out on the Raptors the next night by holding the Raptors to a franchise low 56. I saw both "unwatchable" games. Most of it is players not knowing where they should be. Too much free agency has lowered the quality of the games.

Doesn't matter if your team is made of all-stars, they still need to play together to gel. That is why our thrown-together Team USA is finding it harder and harder to win the gold.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I almost (almost!) feel a little bad for LeBron, playing for the Cavs. But I'm sure he'll end up with the Lakers in a few years so he can get a title. :D

Since I have only followed college basketball before, I'll be interested to see how much the Bulls Kirk Hinrich will be playing if Pippen is out injured (assuming Hinrich gets over his infection soon). I'm hoping he'll get some "quality time" in.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Too much free agency has lowered the quality of the games.
I don't think it is the free agency that has lowered the quality, but the expansion. Think back to 1990. There were no T-Wolves, Heat, Magic, Raptors, Grizzlies, or Hornets.

If you take that talent and spread it around the league, you will have people that are currently starting, coming off of the bench like they should be. Think about the quality level of basketball before those teams arrival. It was good for the game at the time, but now, it is so watered down, makes most games boring. But what do I know?

Brandon

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
So what did you guys think of the hyped up rivalry between LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony last night? I guess Anthony "won" that one. Neither of them had a great night though.

The commentators are so annoying when they try and make every move LeBron makes into a stroke of genius. Even if he just passes the ball they'll start with the praise about how he "reads the game" and all that. I admit he is good, but they don't have to get out the superlatives on every play...

Nice to see that Kings beat Timberwolves in OT, I wish that game had been on TV here instead. :)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
The commentators are so annoying when they try and make every move LeBron makes into a stroke of genius
Yeah I agree. I mean, the hype machine could move at full speed when LeBron was schooling highschoolers and no one could see him play against NBA calibre opponents.

But now he's in the league, apparently on national TV nearly time the awful Cavs touch the floor (god it's awful to watch that team play), and we can figure out if he's hype or substance without the help of the Male Cheerleaders...er..commentators.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
The LeBron and Carmello games are almost unwatchable because of the intense focus on the two. I think I'll stay away from Cav and Nug games if they are on the national networks.

Denver already has more wins than the Cavs will get all season.:D

Yay, Kings on a tough win. I think they lost 9/10 in Minny before this.

The Jazz is continuing to shock the world.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The commentators are so annoying when they try and make every move LeBron makes into a stroke of genius.
"Ooo. Did you see the way LeBron laced up his sneakers? Only a great athlete can manage that move." :laugh:

On another subject, the Pistons look good so far. They are pushing the ball on the fast break, which they never did under Carlisle. Also, adding Prince and Campbell to the starting lineup in place of Curry and Cliff Robinson has helped the offense. Last year there were only two starters -- Billups and Hamilton -- who were scoring threats. Now, only Wallace is an offensive liability. Even with the changes, they are still playing solid defense, too.

Neil M

Stunt Coordinator
Now, only Wallace is an offensive liability.
And that's not entirely true anymore. He has a very improved offensive game now. He's scored double figures in at least half of the games so far. his defense seems to be the same. He's a much bigger threat this year.

Neil M

Stunt Coordinator
Darko might play more in the second half of the season. He is not ready to play right now. Until then, he might get a minute or two when the pistons are blowing out a team. Hopefully he'll become a playoff surprise just like Tayshaun last season.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
When is Darko gonna get some PT so that ESPN can hype him up as the next McHale or something?
Next season. That's the difference between a rookie on a contending team and one on a lousy team -- the lousy team has nothing to lose by playing the rookie and letting him develop. The Pistons have a deep team and are one of the Eastern Conference favorites, so Darko will only get garbage time minutes for most of this season.

Had Detroit taken Carmelo Anthony instead of Darko, he'd be stuck on the bench, too. Detroit already has Tayshaun Prince and Corliss Williamson at small forward, and Hamilton at shooting guard.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Think back to 1990. There were no T-Wolves, Heat, Magic, Raptors, Grizzlies, or Hornets.
Hmmm...the Hornets and the Heat began playing in 1988, and the Magic and Timberwolves in '89...just to be picky. ;) But I agree with your assessment. And does anyone else think it's RIDICULOUS to add 4 teams over two seasons? And then to add two more only 6years later? And now two of them aren't even in the same city just over a decade later!

And WHOA! No Duncan and No Parker and the Spurs still take the Lakers into overtime. Go Spurs!

- Dan Hine

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks