What's new

2002 Film List (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Updated with:
Gangs of New York - :star::star::star:1/2 - Gorgeous to look at, Daniel Day-Lewis delivers a sinfully entertaining performance...and that's about it. Stunningly choppy and meandering for a Scorsese flick.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Nicholas Nickleby
8.5 of 10
The film has a wonderful cast and excellent art direction, which certainly puts you in the environment. But I felt the adaptation was a bit choppy at times. A little hard to follow some of the plot actions (specifically the reasons for some of the actions), like what things were costing the uncle his money. The uncle's failures rarely felt tied to the story though it seemed they were meant to be.
But other than that it's a wonderful escapist tale in the typical over-the-top Dickens' characterizations (is every child dominated by some evil Scrooge type in Dickens' stories? ;) ) Nathan Lane and crew are especially a fun bunch to spend time with.
Broadbent, Plummer and Charlie Hunnam (as the title character) all put in outstanding performances with characters that obviously run on the more one-dimensional side of things.

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
Updated my list with XXX ("Guilty Pleasure" is the only reason this has a score over 50% (65%), but man is it atrocious), and Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, 80%).

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Copied from the review thread...
About Schmidt
10 of 10
"About Schmidt" is a remarkable triumph of mixed emotions. Few films are able to grab such emotional range with real honesty and without resorting to melodrama, which AS completely avoids. The script is simply outstanding (and I would suspect that the source book must be quite a read as well) and the direction manages to keep up with it and let it flow onto the screen.
Nicholson is in top form, though I don't think his role gave him quite as much juice as Lewis had in GONY, but both men bring out everything that their respective characters have to offer (I see Lewis getting the Oscar still). Not as often mentioned, Kathy Bates is yet again superb in a wacky supporting role (not unlike her surprising efforts to improve The Waterboy) and gives Jack something good to play against.
The film begins a bit dry, though still solid, but once the film's main motif is introduced (an interesting "pen pal") the story really takes off. From that point on the emotions are subtle, yet turbulent, and there is great tension at several critical points which I can honestly say I was not sure how Nicholson's Schmidt was going to react.
The emotional ending is wonderfully earned and left me quite affected as I left the theater. This film played as honest or more so than You Can Count on Me and seems almost a sure thing for a Best Pix nom.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Updated with Steven Spielberg's Catch Me If You Can. Overall, a pretty average film. Nothing really to write home about. A film that can easily be relegated to DVD.
~Edwin

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Apparently I saw a 2002 movie months ago without realizing it - Dagon a fun realization of my favorite HP Lovecraft story, The Shadow Over Insmouth. It's fairly by the numbers as horror films go, never close to reaching the heights of Gordon's masterpiece, Re-Animator, but it does so in an entertaining way and of course the Lovecraft imagery puts it over the top with me.
I just wish that someday, someone would attempt a true period Lovecraft film using Lovecraft's singular language.
I have Panic Room waiting at home from Netflix and a ton of stuff at the theater to see if I could get out of the house.

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
Updated my list with lovely and amazing (80%) and Habla con Ella (Talk to Her), an amazing film (90%).
Review for Talk to Her will be added to my list soon...

Lowell_B

Second Unit
Updated my list with
The Dangerous Lives of Alter Boys ***1/2 / ****
Monsoon Wedding ***1/2 /****
Two very entertaining, funny, sad, and well made movies that both land a bit outside my top 10. I hope to see some theatrical releases this weekend too.
Lowell

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Made it to the theater for the first time in a few weeks and saw two:
Narc: Pretty good cop story that I thought I had figured out from the beginning, but took some interesting turns and moral questions. Jason Patric and Ray Liotta are very good but the film gets rather clunky in the 3rd act with several characters plowing thru miles of exposition. Much more accomplished than Blood Guts Bullets and Octane, Carnahan has definitely advanced his skills as a filmmaker. B
25th Hour: Instantly became Spike's second best film and a possible candidate for my film of the year. A film of raw emotion and singular power. Unlike Gangs, Spike masterfully tells many stories at once - old friends sticking by each other, a man facing prison, Sept. 11, NYC, America, taking personal responsibility. Politics and morality are also interwoven with economic and social threads. Strong and subtle performances, effective cinematography and score. Basically just gushing here, maybe I'll try something more coherent in the review thread if I get a chance A
Netflix:
Panic Room - not even worth talking about. I'm completely bored by the "Fincher look" and anytime anything remotely interesting happened in the story it was immediately undermined by something stupid. C

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Updated with a couple more:
25th Hour is great, landing just a bit outside the top 10. Great performances all around. And, hopefully, this could finally be the movie that makes a star out of Rosario Dawson. :star::star::star:½
Nicholas Nickleby is enjoyable enough, although it shows definite signs of how much it's been cut down and some performances are much more vibrant than others. Mostly good fun, though. :star::star::star:
And that's probably just about it... I'll see Narc sometime this week, and Dangerous Mind when it hits Boston, but most of what's left is like eating my vegetables: I know they're getting good reviews, I know they'll figure in the awards races, but I just cannot drag my butt into Chicago, Far From Heaven, or The Hours. I want to have an informed opinion, but I know I'll see Kangaroo Jack before at least one of those. :)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Dawson's been in a lot of films since "He Got Game", but she still is only 23 years old.
Oh, I know... She just seems ready to break out, is all, and has since Josie And The Pussycats. She's got the charisma to be a real movie star as well as a great actress, but she needs a big hit that's worthy of her (I mean, she got stuck with both Men In Black 2 and Pluto Nash last summer! Does her agent hate her or something?).

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Updated my list with two films that flirted with greatness, but didn't quite make it (The 25th Hour & Adaptation - both 9/10), and the solid Narc (8/10).

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
Updated with the first movie in a while to rearrange my top 10.
Catch Me If You Can hooked me from the moment I started watching the coolest credit sequence I've seen in around 4 years. It worked. It kept the right tone. It never overworked your emotions. Just a pitch-perfect film with amazing performances all around. And on top of that, one of the funniest scenes of prostitute solicitation ever filmed. Sneaks into my list at #7.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I'm adding
Kissing Jessica Stein
8.5 of 10
This film's score varied quite a bit as I watched it, but toward the end especially it had some heart to the script that made me score it a bit high for an otherwise slightly generic romance flick (despite the lesbian twist it's still mostly standard turf).
I could decide if I liked or hated the incredible Diane Keaton impersonation done by Jennifer Westfeldt. The film at times felt a lot like I was watching Annie Hall 2, the one where we follow Annie after she's left Alvy and tries exploring lesbian relationships to clense herself or something. ;) This film could fall to an 8, which if you are counting at home moves it toward matinee only status.
Adaptation
9.5 of 10
Let me say right off the bat, the only reason it loses the .5 is because of it's own conventions. Even though it is commenting on the silliness of many screenwriting/filmmaking conventions and uses them to make the point, in the end it does still rely on them to move the film forward.
But this was one of the finest films about making/writing a film you could ever want to see. Cage is outstanding, truly amazing in both his portrayals and shows some of the finest range he's ever done, but with the subtle touch that keeps the effort from feeling pushy or cheap. In fact Donald Kaufman gets some of the most heartfelt moments despite being the more colorful character, and Cage nails it in a way that made me believe in these deeper facest to Donald's goofball character.
Having not seen Confessions yet, I'd say this script is a shoe-in for Best Adapted Screenplay. It's probably not even close at this point.
While the knock on the film is that it's too strange and I heard one guy say something to that effect as the audience filed out, much of the time the audience was laughing at parts that required them to be in tune with what Kaufman was doing with the script. Otherwise many of the third act scenes become tense or tragic, rather than the load of laughs the audience got out of seeing a certain brother's handywork in action. So to me that says that while some people just aren't going to get the basic premise period, if you do then this film is far from bizarre.
Unlike BJMalk, this film works with very established conventions and ideas (such as flashbacks, fantasy sequences, writer writing the film as he is in it himself - see The Player or John Candy's Delirious). If Delirious is understandable, then certainly Adaptation is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks