What's new

2001 space odyssey collectors ed. better? (1 Viewer)

widescreenforever

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
arthurjulius
I realize there is a search this forum button available, but too complex for me to search on this title.. But need to know the 'silver boxed' edition (UPC #663286-201235) for Kubricks film of 2001 A Space Odyssey,, is it better than the WB's white jacket of Kubricks collection (upc #12569-55392) ,, ?, which was better than the MGM version which preceded that.

I see that the special silver ed. has a few collectible items,, but it is the quality of the print and sound I wanted to research..

any one know??

( and getting back to the search this forum feature.. what would be the key characters to enter to isolate your search?? If I put in 2001 space odyssey I get all the titles, far too many, with the name 2001 in it.. If I only put in space odyssey I get over 15 plus pages of posts.. far too many to go thu..)

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
The silver boxed set contained Warner's first release of 2001, which I believe had the same transfer as the MGM disc. This was greatly inferior to the "Remastered Kubrik" discs that came out the following year.

Vincent Fok

Agent
Sorry Lyle, but the silver boxed set comes with the remastered Warner DVD, not the MGM version (which is identical to Warner's first edition that comes with the first Kubrick boxset).

The only difference between the CE and the regular remastered disc is that the CE also comes with the soundtrack, a booklet and a sentinel film cell (of the double-donut-shaped space station floating right to the Earth). No difference in terms of video and audio quality between the two ASAIK.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The later Kubrick Warner edition also restores Hal's lines that were missing from the first MGM release.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
The Silver box and the remastered single disc were both released on June 12, 2001, acording to Amazon.
I have the Silver box and the VOB file creation dates are late March-2001, which fits in with a June 2001, release date.
They are both the same.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
The new HD transfer is also being broadcast on HD-Net Movie channel (started this past weekend, I think).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Anyone with an HD TV in the Boston area want to have a movie night? (OK, probably not... I can just picture explaining that... "Yes honey, we're going to have lots of strangers over... to watch a movie on TV... so we can compare it to the DVD..." My all time favorite movie! I can't imagine making the jump to HD for probably another couple years, but 2001 will almost assuredly be my first purchase.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The transfer being shown on HDNet looks like the same basic transfer that was used for the current DVD, including all of the infuriating edge halos. The extra resolution is cool, though. :)

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks