What's new

2001: A Space Odyssey HD (1 Viewer)

runchuckrun

Auditioning
Real Name
Chuck

I received notification from Amazon this morning that my order had shipped. Expected delivery is the 25th.

I ordered 2001 and Clockwork Orange both Blu-ray.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Interesting.:confused:

I pre-ordered 2001 (Blu-ray) on August 16, 2007 and my account order is still listed as "Open", which means I can still cancel it if I want to/not being ready to ship. And Amazon is still listing 2001 (Blu-ray) as "Usually ships within 5 to 6 weeks."

Paul

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

I agree completely, I had the same reaction. When I first saw the movie, I was living in a house that had a bathroom that for whatever reason reminded me of the room where Bowman first looks in the mirror, and I remember for a couple weeks after seeing the movie (probably didn't help that I had a high fever when I saw it in the first place), in the middle of the night part of me would be scared of finding him in there. (I was 9 I think, which I guess explains everything!)

What a way we've come since I first saw the movie on VHS. The rental I had was the original one in the oversized box, the image mutilated almost beyond belief by the telecine process. And it still had tremendous power. The first time I saw it in widescreen was several years later, a brand new 35mm reduction print... blew my mind.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
This morning, my local Best Buy had no copies of the new Kubrick discs on Blu-ray, but copies of some titles (2001, ACO, Shining) on HD-DVD. Odd. I can't imagine the BD versions sold out.

--Jefferson Morris

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Amen to that. My first viewings of this film were on broadcast TV, and even as a young child, I was fascinated by the film. It was definitely not what I was expecting, but I soon got used to the film's languorous rhythms and became a fan. I've probably owned more versions of this film on video than any other movie - a pan-and-scan tape, a widescreen tape, two laserdisc boxed sets (Criterion's, and then MGM's set), two DVD editions, and now a high-def version.

I never saw the film in a theater until the year 1991, when a gorgeous 70mm print played at the Uptown theater in Washington DC - a nice, old-style movie palace built in 1936 with a 70' wraparound screen. After that near-mystical experience I came to two realizations: 1) This was the greatest film I'd ever seen, and 2) I could never watch it on television again.

And I haven't...until tonight when I plan to unspool the film on HD-DVD in my home theater. Can't wait.

--Jefferson Morris

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt
The Best Buy ad I saw for it this weekend had the rating misprinted as R.

After watching it on BD, I'm once again amazed at the towering accomplishment that this movie was. It has its flaws, but I'd be hard pressed to name any film that has as much visual impact. Truly magnificent.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
The only important question re: 2001 BD vs HD-DVD is...

Which one is Jack Briggs going to buy? :P

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, Jack. C'mon buddy, get off the fence already. :)

Went to Frye's this morning and they didn't have a single Kubrick title stocked in Bd or HD-DVD. :frowning: Going to Best Buy after work and see if I can find a copy of 2001 - A Space Odyssey. Wish me luck.

- Walter.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Amazon shipped mine yesterday.
(Together with The Wild Bunch, Inside Man and Wyatt Earp.)

Cees

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Indeed, and I hope they don't. This film's G-rating is a testimonial to the fact that G-rated films needn't be innocuous fare. This film, with the demands it makes on the viewer, is among the most provocative ever made.

--Jefferson Morris

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I got mine on HD DVD at the BB here in Nampa. They had copies in all 3 formats available.

For those interested, COSTCO did NOT stock this title, nor any of the other Kubrick titles, in any of the 3 formats. However, at times they don't put stock out until long after release date.

I already know about Jack. He bought the non-anamorphic full-frame SD DVD version because as we all know Kubrick prefered his films on video in that manner. Since Kubrick died before the premier of HD DVD or BRD, he obviously wouldn't approve of them. :laugh:

(I can't believe I got this before Cees. Bwaaa-haaaa-haaaa!)

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller
Did anyone who pre-ordered from Warner Brothers website get theirs yet? I haven't got any shipping notification yet, and the "MyExpressCheckout" site says nothing more definite than "In Process". I'm really impatient to get these!

Brian Little

Stunt Coordinator

Funny thing is that right now "MyExpressCheckout" (sic) shows "In Process"..... yet a box was sitting at by my doorstep this afternoon containing.....

I was also on the phone with Warner today. Even on THEIR own end it shows that it hadn't been shipped yet.

And yes.... I got the guy with the very robotic slow drawl voice. You know the... "thaaaank yowl fher callin Wharnerz" guy. Ultimately I do feel bad for them over there since they are not the ones who messed up their computer system causing all these issues to happen. But yeah... Warner ultimately does need to get their act together. Its pretty bad when there are still people waiting for items ordered in August. Its even worse when people are getting items yet on their end it shows nothing has been sent.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Just finished watching the HD DVD release about 30 minutes ago. Watching this release was a near religious experience for me.

The color saturation of the stargate sequence is fabulous. The detail and resolution in the images of the Pan Am space clipper and space wheel, the Discovery One, and the suits worn by Poole and Bowman is simply splendid. What a way to re-experience this great film. Just a wonderful viewing.

- Walter.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Wow! 2001 on HD DVD!!! Its so good that you can sometimes see the flaws in the front projection in the dawn of man scenes.

I love the 1960s short subject extras too.

Doug

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I pre-ordered all the new Kubrick HD-DVDs direct from Warner (had a 25% off coupon). All arrived today EXCEPT 2001. Hmmm...

BTW, Warner is not real timely with their shipping notices. I usually get the shipping e-mails after I get the discs. I have yet to see shipping notices on the discs I got today.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks