What's new

20 Years ago - Hand Across America, were you there? (1 Viewer)

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I just realized, this May 25th, it will be 20 years since 'Hands Across America'.

I participated with some friends and we were positioned along a state route in Western Ohio. I remember looking to my left and right down the road, and as far as the eye could see was a line of people holding hands. Pretty cool.

I would have been 16 at the time. How time flies. Did anyone else here participate in Hand Across America? If so, where were you positioned and what do you remember?

David Blair

Stunt Coordinator
Man I must be getting old, I had completely forgotten about that. Back then I was 12 and my family traveled to Lexington, Ky to join in.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I would have been 9 at the time and I have no idea what it was about. I guess it wasn't very newsworthy at the time in my neck of the woods (Anchorage. AK), since we were outside of the lower 48 states. I'm still puzzled when I hear references to it in shows like The Golden Girls. Did people actually make a human chain from coast to coast?

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

For the most part, yes. They got around 6-7 million people to participate. Enough people to form a chain from coast to coast if it were a straight line. But the line meandered to hit major areas so there were breaks in it.

I was in a rural area and it was a very cool sight to see an unbroken chain of people holding hands disapearing into the horizon on both my right and left.

This was all part of the USA for Africa organization who also put out the song 'We are the World'.

http://www.usaforafrica.org/legacy/hands.htm

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Pretty sure I was drinking Beer at the time..... and it's pretty damn hard to hold hands when you have a beer in one hand.

Maybe a shot in the other:D

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay

Well, I was around 20 years ago but I don't think they could really use me, my hands are kind of small... ;) I'd be lucky to get a hand across anything longer than a PBJ sandwich, let alone, America. ;)

Jay

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
I recall news reports that in some areas out in the middle of nowhere they had to use ropes instead of people's hands. I feel bad for the people who had to stand in the desert sun.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
As I recall, after expenses, not much money found its way and it remains to be determined how much of that found its way to people.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member

So what was the money for?
Was there some meaning behind this besides spreading cold germs across the country?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks