1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

20/20 Adoption Story - Disgusting!!!

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Randy Tennison, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    Upcoming this weekend, 20/20 has a story on adoption, featuring a contest between 8 couples wishing to adopt, and the birth mother. Here is the link

20/20 is promoting this almost like "Survivor" or "The Bachelor", with quotes like:

As a husband who has experienced the pain that infertility causes, and is currently going through the adoption process, I found this to be horrifying and disgusting. These 8 couples are competing, with the grand prize being a baby.

ABC is happily promoting this competition, with teaser indicating that the mother may not even give up the child in the end. Oooo, the suspense.

If you have ever experienced the pain associated with infertility, or know someone who has, please let ABC know your opinion on this. ABC is owned by Disney, and I love everything Disney. However, I can't believe they would stoop this low into "reality tv". Maybe some realities shouldn't be shown for entertainment purposes.

2. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Screenwriter

Believe me, Disney and others have already sunk to depraved levels with their Joe Millionaire, The Bachelor, Paradise Island, etc.

Basically pimping greedy, hot, young men and women for sex and money (or the PC terms the TV execs. use: "love" and "marriage").

And people gobble it up! Have we as a society no morals at all anymore?

Dan

3. Quentin

Quentin Screenwriter

Quentin H
    Thanks for the heads up. As someone who has experienced what you are now going through, I also found this despicable.

I have written to ABC and Walters.

Unfortunately, adopting IS a bit of a competition (selling yourself to a potential birth mother is part of the process). I just don't think that it's fitting to exploit it on TV.

4. Doug R

Doug R Supporting Actor

Yikes, I agree. This is sick.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I've never even heard about this. Amazing. Simply amazing.

6. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Screenwriter

The grand prize is a CHILD!!

It's disgusting, and just sick.

Reality TV is getting worse, but at least with Temptation Island and stuff... they admit it's trash.

Stuff like this, or the Swan, act like they're doing good.

One of them is selling a child itself... and a family's integrity, the other is saying that looking NATURAL is a crime... and you're deformed if you don't look like an airbrushed magazine ad...

7. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

This would never happen if Hugh Downs was still part of the show.

Sad they're trying to pass this off as "news". Sad they'ld do this at all.

The only decent investigative news show on now is Penn and Teller.

8. Eric_Connelly

Eric_Connelly Second Unit

Wow...I inadvertenly watched the first 5 minutes of "The Swan" last night while reading some HT reviews and it playing in the background.

Those are some F'd up people!

Both the people on the show and the people on the panel. They all need some serious psychological help, and thats just emphasized by the fact they are on the show in the first place.

9. Phil_L

Phil_L Second Unit

I am physically ill. I am never going to watch 20/20 again. Trying to adopt can be a heartbreaking process. I don't know first-hand, but have seen those I love go through it. This is pretty disgusting. It won't be long before we see a show where people compete for the medications that keep them alive, or see hungry people compete for food.

10. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

I saw the previews and was so offended. I will say this and it may offend, but someone tell me how this isn't different then white slave trade? I'm going to barter my kid to you for x,y,z? Isn't any trade of a human for perceived value.. ugh, the whole thing is sick.

11. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

They're promoting it in a sick way as a reality show tv of episode of 20/20, but it's supposedly not. I find crap like this to be far more indecent than any "naughty" word or sex act though.

12. WillG

WillG Producer

13. Jason Walstrom

Jason Walstrom Supporting Actor

I heard that they changed to promo now as to stop pissing people off and to take the competition slant from it. A girl is deciding who will be the best parents for her baby and she will decide between these couples it what it comes down to and their promo tried to oversell and they got what they deserved. Pissed viewers.

14. Jim DiJoseph

Jim DiJoseph Second Unit

Randy, I feel your pain. It's extremely difficult for people to comprehend the depth of emotion that accompanies the struggle of infertility. I also know it firsthand.

I understand that 20/20 is now billing this as covering the story of a handful of couples vying for the chance to adopt a child, but to put pain and heartache on display like this is dispicable. My heart goes out to the couples who will be crushed when they "lose" this competition.

And the early promos that I saw were of the lowest order. Honestly, I just don't know what to think about the media these days... [​IMG]

15. Erik.Ha

Erik.Ha Supporting Actor

Yeah.... this is sick...

16. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Screenwriter

Ok, so you don't approve, then don't watch it. It really is that simple. Its just TV.

17. Jason Walstrom

Jason Walstrom Supporting Actor

I'm gonna watch just so i can be disgusted and curse out loud and maybe throw something at my cat.

18. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

I think sometimes we use "turn the channel" to just passively approve of things, though. There are things that shouldn't be televised, and frankly, shouldn't be done. Here you are exploiting the bartering of a life..

If someone was to organize a slavery auction and broadcast it on a channel, sure you could change the channel, but someone would have to say "you know, it's not about exploring other choices, it's about making a station realize this is NOT a choice for programming"

EDIT:

As noted, the process is very similar in an open adoption, it's how it works. Having a close relative (1st cousin) adopted via this manner, I'm familiar.. that having been said, it has been marketted as a contest, which is absolutely demeaning.. and with tag lines like "which family can offer the most" it made an intentional sensational play at hyping up the "fair market value" of a kid..

[​IMG]

19. Quentin

Quentin Screenwriter

Quentin H
    I have no problem with the IDEA behind the report. As I've stated, open adoption IS something of a popularity contest, and reporting on it could be interesting.

The mistake here (as pointed out by the Post) is the marketing of the spot as if it were a reality game show. It's exploitive and offensive. I hope the show is not edited in this way.

Yes, it is heartbreaking if/when you aren't the family chosen (and, if the birth mother chooses you, but then has second thoughts); but, those are all part of the process.

20. Jim DiJoseph

Jim DiJoseph Second Unit

Nice post, Mike. Way to be sensitive to the original post. It's not just TV in this case. It is the sensationalism of competing for a human baby. It is the exploitation of the heartache that will be felt by couples when they are devastated on national TV. And before you go down the line of, "Well, they knew what they were in for," I'll just say that there is an extreme vulnerability that accompanies infertility (for most people) and ABC is clearly capitalizing on it.

You're right, Mike, I won't watch. But I am going to do more than that. I am going to post here; I am going to write ABC; and I am going to tell my friends.