What's new

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954) Blu-ray? (1 Viewer)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
And how can they "correct" grain if I may ask?The detail is in the grain!If you "correct" grain, you lose detail! i personally love grain and i think it makes a film alive.That's why I can't watch recent films, because the digital clear look, seems to me very cheap.. And I can't understand I'm watching a film, but a cheap TV show.
Well fair enough, that's a view. In the days of printing, the print stock "corrected" the grain. The original negative stock was designed to be printed from, & the print stock & original negative work together. The negative is very flat, the print has a lot of contrast, put them together & it all works. I've had a little grain watch on a few very good Blu's, & wasn't really aware of any grain unless I got close-up to the screen & looked for it, the same as in the old days in the cinema in fact. As soon as you scan a negative in HD, you're using that negative in a way it was never designed for, & you get both good & bad. The good, amazing detail, & the bad, grain you were never aware of before. I think most of the time they manage it all very well now, & there's not many Blu's released looking like Patton & The Longest Day these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks