What's new

2 TVs and 1 Direct-TV receiver (1 Viewer)

FarmerBrown

Auditioning
Real Name
Orville Brown
Hi everyone. I recently upgraded my Direct-TV service to a HD dish and receiver/recorder and I like it very much so far. This set-up is in the family room and I would like to add a TV in our kitchen. I do not need to receive two different channels at the same time.

Please offer suggestions on how to run a line for audio and HD video and from the new receiver in the fam rm to the TV in the kitchen. My receiver/recorder has only one HDMI out connection. Also the distance from the receiver/recorder to the kitchen would require about 45 lin. ft. of wiring.

TIA

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You can use a 1 in/2 out HDMI splitter and a 50ft HDMI cable from Monoprice.com. Or you can use a 50ft component video/analog audio cable. Either one works.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I'm pretty sure that the analog handles the distance better. And if your receiver has a spare analog output I think using the receiver as a switch would be better than adding a separate HDMI switch.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm using a 35ft HDMI cable and a 5ft HDMI cable with a 4 in/2 out monoprice HDMI switch. 40ft is no issue at all for the DirecTV receiver. I also send analog video 55ft to another TV. Again, no issue. Either solution will work.

And I use a remote relay system to change channels from the 2nd TV.

FarmerBrown

Auditioning
Real Name
Orville Brown
Thanks very much for the info. Your answers have triggered some new questions.

1. I have searched the monoprice site and could not find a 1 in - 2 out HDMI adapter. Are these things available at Radio Shack or BestBuy?

2. One of your answers indicated that maybe one HDMI out port on the receiver cannot provide picture and sound to two TVs at the same time. Is that correct?

3. Is there such a thing as a DIY connection for HDMI cable? I will need to fish the HDMI cable down through the wall in the family room and the HDMI termination plug is quite large. I'm confident that I can do it but fishing a raw cable end down into the wall would be much easier than fishing a big molded plastic plug.

4. Have you guys determined that Port Savers are necessary?

Please type your responses slowly as I an old farmer and I don't understand some of the language here.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks