What's new

2 questions about my RX-V871 (1 Viewer)

Raptor382

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam
first, what version of HDMI is it? ive looked online and on the yamaha website under the specs, and it wasn't listed. I'm assuming that since it's a 3D AVR, that it is HDMI 1.4?

also, this receiver decodes dolby true HD and DTS MA, and dolby digital etc....

according to what i read, when playing a source that uses Dolby or DTS, you should use the "straight" or "surround decode straight" function. This allows the AVR to play unprocessed audio. However, in the past, on other AVR's, when I would play a movie that was DTS or Dolby, when the AVR received the signal, the display would change to show that, but this AVR is not doing that. I dont have a blue ray player, i just use a Roku box for streaming media. The movies on Vudu and Amazon instant video are all Dolby Digital 5.1 or Dolby Digital + 5.1, and when I play a movie, the display doesnt change to show it's playing dolby, it just says "straight".

Am i using the wrong decoder or does this AVR not display the signal type that is coming through it? (which would be odd if it did)

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
I have a Roku LT connected to an RX-V471, I see Dolby Digital+ lit up with Vudu so the devices definitely can bit stream for AVR decoding. I am not using it with Netflix or Amazon but can and will check those services as well. I also have a Roku 2 XS in another room and can check it. You must have an incorrect setting if you aren't able to bit stream DD 5.1.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
I think youre confusing source with processing. Your source is either two channel, dolby or dts. "Straight" just tells the Yamaha to pass those type sources along to your speakers with zero processing. All other modes like standard, spectical , sci fi, drama ect ect ect ect take whatever the source is and processes it according to the descriptions in your owners manual for those sound modes. Personally I dont use "straight", ever. For all surround sources including lossless blu ray I use standard. For two channel (music sources like cd player and pandora) I use all channel stereo. Yamaha has some excellent processing modes, experiment and see what sounds good. Since I use height speakers to raise my dialog "straight" would bypass my height channels.

Raptor382

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam
you're right Type A, i may be mistaken on my terminology. on this AVR, you can select "movie mode", which gives you the modes you mentioned (standard, spectical, drama, action, etc), or you can press the surround decode button repeatedly and for some sources, you can select PLII music, PLII movie, neo6: music, neo6:movie etc..), and then you can press the "straight" button.

However, when watching movies via my Roku3 box, it selects the "straight" mode, and cant seem to change it. If I repeatedly press the "surround decode" button, it just stays at "surround decode: straight", or i can press the actual "straight" button, and then it just says "straight", but i never seem to get any indicator that says it's playing dolby digital or anything.

I may run out and get a BD player and see if that changes anything, as far as I can tell, there aren't really any audio options that you can change on the Roku box, it seems to be preset to just play whatever source the movie or program was broadcast in.

Raptor382

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam
never mind, i figured it out. lol it was simple

it was just a matter of what the display message setting was set to. you can hit the "info" button and choose what you want the display to say, either set it to "input, decoder, or mode" i think were the options. The info setting was set to "mode" and when i changed it to decoder, it displayed the Dolby digital + message.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks