What's new

2 channel receiver for my living room (1 Viewer)

ferris11

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon
Was hoping someone could help me out. I am looking at a receiver for my living room - 2 channel with the option of putting a sub on later. I still need to pick up some speakers, but I'm focusing on the source, first. It's only going to be set up for music - either CD, or Slacker/Pandora, possibly a phonograph in the future (I knew I kept that vinyl around for some reason) I'm considering either a Marantz SR4023 or a Yamaha R-S700. Was wondering if any of you had any experience with either to help sway me to one or the other or if you have any other suggestions out there. Thanks! Jon

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
On paper the Yamaha looks a little bit better but Marantz has always had a loyal following. http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/CompareTo.aspx?g=356350&cc=01&compareItems=01|580TX8255&compareItems=01|033DRA397&compareItems=01|779SR10B&compareItems=01|642SR4023&compareItems=01|022RS700 The H/K 3490 is another popular choice. You could also get an integrated amplifier which should offer better sound quality at the expense of whizz-bang features. http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=HiFiComponents&SubCatId=0&ProductId=PM5004 The best choice (but more expensive) would be a stereo pre-amp like the Emotive USP-1 but you would also need a two channel amp. I just bought a used one off Audiogon. Should be here tomorrow :rock: . And don't discount used vintage gear. On older H/K 3375/3475 or Arcam/NAD/etc would be a nice choice and can be found for about $100-$250. I also like the idea of using a multi-ch home theater receiver for two channel duty. You get true bass management (not just a subwoofer output), room correction/eq, individual speaker size, volume and distance settings, and all the internet/streaming features you could ask for. And their two channel output would be comparable to a stereo receiver. But phono amps are usually not included though they can easily be added. Like always, I think I just made theings more complicated! :blush: But in reality, any good stereo receiver would do what you're looking for.

ferris11

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon
Thanks - a bit more complicated, but I think that I'm leaning towards the Marantz. I'm not comfortable enough with used gear for myself. When I get more familiar with some stuff, then I could deal with it. I was thinking more of the integrated amp side instead of the receiver, but the power seems much less for the integrated amp than the receiver (within the Marantz - 4023 compared to the 5004). Does the power discrepancy make much of a difference between the two? Thanks

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Usually power specs aren't too much to worry about, especially with HT receivers. But in this case, it might be. 35 vs 80 would probably be noticable. The $999 8004 is 85 wpc but way over budget. The Yamaha A-S500 is rated at 85 wpc http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/531253798/yamaha-as500 But the Marantz 4023 is a solid choice. The Outlaw Audio RR 2150 is another highly regarded stereo receiver (with controversial retro look - not my cup of tea) which has analog bass management but @ $699 it's kind of pricey. http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2150.html

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
I too would suggest considering vintage gear. Some great deals out there. How about a B&K Ref 10 or one of their stereo pre amps, and a Parasound or Carver 2 channel amp? The Ref 10 is a 5 channel processor, but still delivers exceptional 2 channel sound and build quality. A Parasound 75x2 amp will be far more powerful then the typical Japanese receivers. There should be a variety of similar vintage components for sale on Ebay or Audiogon

ferris11

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon
Thanks guys. I'm going to check out Audiogon but otherwise, I think I'll go with the marantz 4023. Thanks for all of the advice.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm always impressed with Marantz gear. Having said that, the Emotiva USP-1 is an awesome piece of equipment, but would increase the cost quite a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks