What's new

2.35:1 movies reframed at 1.33:1/1.78:1 on DVD (1 Viewer)

Gary Palmer

Stunt Coordinator
every widescreen video of the 1956 Don Siegel version of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" has been 2:1... I'm REALLY hoping that whenever Paramount does a new DVD (when they get the Republic/Spelling catalog later this year), they release the first DVD in its intended ratio.

I understand what you mean - this creates something of a gray area (if I'm not mistaken, the same thing was done to WHILE THE CITY SLEEPS). I'd be very uneasy if the theatrical ratios of such movies were suddenly discarded, but DVD can easily accommodate both versions of INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS, which would be an ideal compromise.

[Univisium] is essentially a 3 perf version of SuperScope.

In other words, no different from 3-perf Super 35, except for the unnecessary difference in AR.

The only reason [EXORCIST THE BEGINNING] wasn't presented in 2.00:1 is due to studio ignorance, and this dumbed down belief that the only valid aspect ratios are 2.4:1 or 1.85:1.

'Ignorance' may be a bit harsh. After all, for the vast majority of theaters, 2.35 and 1.85 are the two fixed AR's. No one else is using the Univisium process, and no one seems interested in following Storaro's misguided lead, so I'm not sure everyone should try to accommodate a minority format that won't survive beyond Storaro's career.

However there is a film format that supports a 2.00:1 theatrical image - an anamorphic print with black bars added on the sides to protect the composition.

Yes, this would be a valid means of presenting Univisium movies in theaters which aren't equipped to deal with anything other than 1.85/2.35. But again, no one other than Storaro is interested in pursuing this AR, which renders his ongoing pursuit of this particular format quite pointless. And I think 'misguided' is the kindest word I can use to describe his decision to impose 2.00:1 on his earlier movies on DVD, those produced long before he decided 2.00:1 was the 'golden ratio'...

if that is a valid modification, then why not show all Super 35 films 1.85:1?

The likes of Roger Donaldson would like to do just that, as far as DVD is concerned. Shudder...

I think it is actually a good thing that a cinematographer wishes to innovate a new aspect ratio that would be explicitly designed to unify both theatrical and home presentation of films.

Not when the AR chosen by the cinematographer bears no relation to existing theatrical or television standards. For the purposes of 'scope' exhibition, 2.35 is the standard in most theaters (well, movies are actually projected at 2.39 for technical reasons, though the unsqueezed image on the film is still 2.35, but let's not get too trainspotter-ish!), and 16:9 is now the international television standard for both 'regular' TV and HD - 2.00:1 is not an option, nor is it ever likely to be. In fact, the next revolution in TV standards (for home theater purposes, if not for regular TV broadcast) will be 21:9, far wider than Storaro's preferred 2.00:1, for the simple reason that 21:9 can accommodate the broad range of current theatrical and TV standards.

Moreover, if this thread is about retaining the integrity of the theatrical aspect ratio, then shouldn't consideration be given to the intention of the cinematographer and director?

Yes, but not when their decision deviates so wildly from the original theatrical presentation. If a director wants to colorize your favorite black and white movie and remove the original B/W print from circulation forever - or, at least, for the forseeable future - should that be considered a good thing? Just ask all those fans who are sick to death of George Lucas constantly tampering with the STAR WARS series whilst refusing point blank to give fans what they want - the movies as they originally appeared in theaters, with none of the bells, whistles and visual additions. George's latest wheeze - he's going to turn them into 3-D extravaganzas!!...

In that case the 2.00:1 theatrical aspect ratio of Univisium should stand, because it IS a legitimate format that can be very easily accomdated even by the restricted nature of contemporary exhibition practices.

Couldn't agree more. I think Storaro is foolish to pursue this one-man crusade, but if the movies were photographed in a particular way, then the idea of pillarboxing the image within a 2.35 frame is a wholly legitimate means of presentation. I may not have made it clear in my initial post, but I think Warner was wrong to present the film at 2.35 in theaters (and on DVD), given that the film was composed for a specific ratio (unlike, say, THE RECRUIT, which was deliberately compromised to accommodate a range of AR's).

I think you identify the problem with this whole issue. I've seen many contemporary Hollywood Super 35 films where it looks like 2.4:1 was an after thought, and that the DVD could be transferred 4:3, 1.78:1 or 2.4:1 and it wouldn't make much difference. Contemporary Hollywood style is so imprecise, so wholly concerned with close ups that composition is more or less dead. The best widescreen films made in Hollywood are generally anamorphic.

Simon, we've discussed this subject several times before over at rec.arts.movies.tech, and despite the fact that I've questioned some of your assertions here, we agree much more than we disagree on this issue! :) Anamorphic photography is not only sharper, brighter and 'prettier' (as per director Stephen Sommers, who has worked in both anamorphic and S35 and prefers the former for this very reason), but it also focuses composition in a way that eludes most S35 movies. It isn't always the case, however: From 1990 onwards, most anamorphic movies 'protected' for TV, piling all relevant imagery into a specific portion of the frame to accommodate 4:3 TV presentations. Some people say this was being done as far back as the 1970's, though I'm not sure it was done to the same extent (the 1970's introduced a looser style of composition, with handheld camerawork and a 'realistic' visual style at odds with the formal gloss of 'Golden Age' Hollywood, and this freewheeling approach can be mistaken for 'TV protection'). Such films should never have been photographed at anything wider than 1.85, because the 2.35 image is simply wasted. Unfortunately, opening up the frame on a S35 negative to accommodate a range of AR's is no less destructive, because it compromises every AR, from the theatrical print to the TV version. I strongly disagree with those who say S35 is a suitable alternative to pan-scanning an anamorphic image - it's actually just as bad, if not worse.

Wasn't the original broadcast [of DUNE] done at 1.78:1? If so, the DVD accurately relfects the OAR, no matter what format was used.

I seem to recall being told that the original broadcast was actually 2.00:1, though I'm not 100% sure. On some TV's, overscan would have rendered the difference between 1.78 and 2.00:1 almost entirely inconsequential.

"Backdraft" was shown theatrically 1.85, but shot Super35 (Super 1.85). On DVD it's reframed at 2:1 using the old LaserDisc transfer, which itself was made when Universal had the policy of reframing anything Super35 at 2:1 (Dr. Giggles, etc) regardless of OAR.

I saw BACKDRAFT projected theatrically at 2.35, and the DVD is framed at around 2.10, a slight compromise. DR. GIGGLES is another Super 35 movie screened theatrically at 2.35. However, just to confuse everyone, there is a Super 1.85 process (used, as Peter says, on the likes of THE GODFATHER PART III and THE TWO JAKES), which is configured the same way as S35 except that the image is composed for 1.85 rather than 2.35. Technically-minded contributors may be able to provide the official specs, but I'm told the process uses more of the actual frame area, yielding greater detail than 'regular' 1.85. It's certainly a better use of the so-called 'Super' format than Super 35!!...

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
ANNIE (1982)
[Columbia TriStar - R1]
Filmed in anamorphic Panavision at 2.4:1, released in the "Special Anniversary Edition" as 1.33:1. Available in proper ratio (16x9 in all cases) in the out-of-print R1 edition (though some pressings have framing issues), and R2 in UK and Japan.

THE JOURNEY OF NATTY GANN (1985)
[Walt Disney - R1]
Filmed in anamorphic Panavision at 2.4:1, this disc is panned and scanned to 1.33:1. It is available in R2 in Germany in the proper aspect ratio.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

I've studied this film's various incarnations and believe the director is a total liar when it comes to saying that he meant for this film to be in 2.35:1.

There's not a single shot in the film that makes sense at 2.35:1 -- but there are plenty of shots that have been ruined by his revisionist treatment of it!

I don't have a screen grab of the 1.85:1 version (the version which it SHOULD be in), but here is the 2.35:1 DVD, the 2.35:1 laserdisc, and the open matte tv version. 2.35.1 is clearly too much.

GregK

Screenwriter
Kudos on your excellent list Gary. I also have mixed feeling on the Super35
format and agree composing for two aspect ratios can sometimes lead to more
problems than actual solutions.

On a related sidenote, at the TV station I work for we monitor on-air
network programming in both 1.78:1 HDTV and 1.33 NTSC. When viewing both at
the same time it's easy to see most HD programming is still composed for
1.33:1, with the HD composed version sometimes showing an extra actor
awkwardly halfway in the shot, or often just showing unused/uncomposed dead
space. Sometimes during sporting events with player interviews, the
interviewer doesn't realize they are still on-screen (just on the 16x9
version) and can be seen stumbling through their notes searching for the
next question to ask. So what's the true or best aspect ratio for some of
this material? I would say it depends on the given show, and even then it
could vary from episode to episode, depending on those shooting the series.
The HDTV programs that seem to utilize the 1.78:1 image best tend to be the
ones that are letterboxed on the 1.33:1 NTSC feed, as then there's only one
aspect ratio to compose for.

But back directly to Super 35. Here are two examples on how it can turn sour....

STAR-TREK VI: To get an idea of the potential mess we can get into with
Super35 and what might be close to OAR, try comparing the original (non-16x9
enhanced) DVD release of Star-trek VI to the recent 16x9 enhanced version.
While both releases are slightly opened up from 2.35:1 to around 1.95:1, the
two versions are composed differently. You may see a shot with more headroom
at the top, while showing more info at the bottom in the next shot. And the
shot composition changes aren't minor. Which (if either) version was
centered closer to the 2.35:1 theatrical version? I have A/B screenshots if
someone wishes to post them on-line.

TERMINATOR 3: There was a debate on the HTF on what the actual 2.35:1 DVD of
T3 shows compared to what was shown in theaters. Screenshots from actual
theatrical presentations showed different image compositions when compared
to the same shots from the DVD in some scenes. There were also some vertical
changes, which were not minor theater cropping issues.

Gary Palmer

Stunt Coordinator
Here's some more compromised 2.35 titles, including a number of old school kung fu films, all of which have been treated with contempt on home video. Some of the discs mentioned here may have been upgraded with superior transfers - if so, let us know!

18 SECRETS OF KUNG FU (1979)
[Tai Seng - US R1]
Filmed in an uncredited anamorphic process and cropped to 1.33 on DVD.

THE 72 DESPERATE REBELS (1976)
[Tai Seng - US R1]
Filmed in an uncredited anamorphic process and cropped to 1.33 on DVD. Also known as KILLER HILLZ.

99 CYCLING SWORDS (1980)
[Tai Seng - US R1]
Filmed in an uncredited anamorphic process and cropped to 1.33 on DVD. Also known as LUNG WEI VILLAGE.

THE ADVENTURES OF HERCULES
[Trimark - US R1]
Comprising a number of movies, all cropped to 1.33. The titles are:
THE CONQUEST OF MYCENAE [HERCULES AGAINST MOLOCH] (1963 - anamorphic Euroscope)
HERCULES AGAINST THE SONS OF THE SUN (1964 - anamorphic Totalscope)
THE LION OF THEBES (1964 - anamorphic Euroscope)
THE LOVES OF HERCULES (1960 - anamorphic CinemaScope)
THE MEDUSA AGAINST THE SON OF HERCULES (1962 - anamorphic Totalscope)
THE TRIUMPH OF HERCULES (1964 - 2-perf Cromoscope)
THE TROJAN HORSE (1962 - 2-perf Techniscope)

BLOOD OF GHASTLY HORROR (1971)
[Troma - US R1]
Filmed in 2-perf Techniscope and cropped to 1.33 on DVD. This is a re-edited version of PSYCHO A GO-GO (1965), with extra footage created specifically for this version. Also known as FIEND WITH THE ELECTRONIC BRAIN.

THE BONE CRUSHING KID (1979)
[Tai Seng - US R1]
Filmed in an uncredited anamorphic process and cropped to 1.33 on DVD. Also known as MASTER IN THE MONKEY'S EYES.

BOXER'S ADVENTURE (197?)
[Crash Cinema - US R1]

THE BUDDHIST FIST (1980)
[Tai Seng - US R1]
Filmed in an uncredited anamorphic process and cropped to 1.85 on DVD.

CHALLENGE OF DEATH (1978)
[Tai Seng - US R1]

CRYING FREEMAN (1995)
[Pathe - UK R2]
Filmed in Super 35 and reframed to 1.33 on DVD. Available in France (from TF1) in a stunning DVD special edition, correctly framed at 2.35, though this disc has since gone out of print.

DEADLY SNAIL VS. KUNG FU KILLERS (1988)
[Tai Seng - US R1]

THE DEADLY SWORD (1981)
[Tai Seng - US R1]

THE DEATH DUEL OF KUNG FU (1979)
[Tai Seng - US R1]

DIRTY KUNG FU (1978)
[Tai Seng - US R1]

EAGLE'S CLAW (1977)
[Tai Seng - US R1]
Filmed in an uncredited anamorphic process and cropped to 1.85 on DVD.

EMPEROR OF SHAOLIN KUNG FU (1980)
[Tai Seng - US R1]
Filmed in an uncredited anamorphic process and cropped to 1.33 on DVD. Also known as LORD CHUANG LI TZU CHENG.

END OF THE WICKED TIGERS (1983)
[Tai Seng - US R1]

ESTHER AND THE KING (1960)
[Diamond - US R1]
Filmed in anamorphic CinemaScope and cropped to 1.33 on DVD.

FILTHY GUY (1978)
[Tai Seng - US R1]
Filmed in an uncredited anamorphic process and cropped to 1.33 on DVD. Also known as RETURN OF THE SECRET RIVALS.

FISTS AND GUTS (1979)
[Tai Seng - US R1]

GALAXINA (1980)
[Rhino - US R1]
Filmed in anamorphic Panavision and cropped to 1.33 on DVD.

HE HAS NOTHING BUT KUNG FU (1977)
[Tai Seng - US R1]

HERCULES (1957)
[Sterling - US R1]
Filmed in anamorphic Dyaliscope and cropped to 1.33 on DVD.

HERCULES UNCHAINED (1959)
[Gemstone - US R1]
Filmed in anamorphic Dyaliscope and cropped to 1.33 on DVD.

HIT-MAN IN THE HAND OF BUDDHA (1981)
[Tai Seng - US R1]

THE HOT, THE COOL AND THE VICIOUS (1976)
[Tai Seng - US R1]

INHERITOR OF KUNG FU (1982)
[Tai Seng - US R1]
Filmed in an uncredited anamorphic process and cropped to 1.33 on DVD. Also known as THE HEROIC ONE.

INVINCIBLE KILLER (1978)
[Tai Seng - US R1]

THE INVINCIBLE KUNG FU LEGS (1980)
[Tai Seng - US R1]
Filmed in an uncredited anamorphic process and cropped to 1.33 on DVD. Credited on the packaging as 'The Leg Fighters'.

THE INVINCIBLE KUNG FU TRIO (1978)
[Tai Seng - US R1]
Filmed in an uncredited anamorphic process and cropped to 1.33 on DVD. Also known as DRAGON'S FATAL FIST.

JACKIE CHAN: 5 HARD-HITTING MOVIES
[Simitar - US R1]
Comprising a number of movies, all filmed in an uncredited anamorphic process and cropped to 1.33 on DVD. The titles are: HALF A LOAF OF KUNG FU (1978), THE KILLER METEORS (1977), NEW FIST OF FURY (1976), SPIRITUAL KUNG FU (1978) and TO KILL WITH INTRIGUE (1978).

KILLER FROM ABOVE (1977)
[Tai Seng - US R1]

KING KONG VS. GODZILLA 1963)
[GoodTimes/Universal - US R1]
Filmed in anamorphic Tohoscope and cropped to 1.33 on DVD.

THE LAST DUEL (1978)
[Tai Seng - US R1]

LEGEND OF BRUCE LEE (1976)
[Tai Seng - US R1]
Filmed in 2-perf Techniscope and cropped to 1.33 on DVD. Also known as BRUCE LEE SUPERSTAR, CHINESE CHIEN CHUAN KUNG FU and YOUNG BRUCE LEE.

A LIFE OF NINJA (1983)
[Tai Seng - US R1]
Filmed in an uncredited anamorphic process and cropped to 1.33 on DVD. The image is slightly squeezed, which may play better on widescreen TV's.

MAGNIFICENT FIST (1978)
[Tai Seng - US R1]
Filmed in an uncredited anamorphic process and cropped to 1.33 on DVD. Also known as KUNG FU TITANS.

MANTIS COMBAT (1978)
[Tai Seng - US R1]
Filmed in an uncredited anamorphic process and cropped to 1.33 on DVD. The image is slightly squeezed, which may play better on widescreen TV's.

THE NEW GAME OF DEATH (1975)
[Tai Seng - US R1]
Filmed in an uncredited anamorphic process and cropped to 1.33 on DVD. Also known as GOODBYE BRUCE LEE HIS LAST GAME OF DEATH.

NINJA HUNTER (1986)
[Tai Seng - US R1]
Filmed in an uncredited anamorphic process and cropped to 1.33 on DVD. Also known as WU TANG V NINJA.

NINJA VS. NINJA (1987)
[Tai Seng - US R1]

THE PRODIGAL BOXER (1973)
[Crash Cinema - US R1]
Filmed in an uncredited anamorphic process and cropped to 1.33 on DVD. Also known as KUNG FU THE PUNCH OF DEATH and THE PRODIGAL BOXER KICK OF DEATH.

REAL KUNG FU OF SHAOLIN (1982)
[Tai Seng - US R1]

REVENGEFUL SWORDSWOMEN (1981)
[Tai Seng - US R1]

SECRET OF THE CHINESE KUNG FU (1980)
[Tai Seng - US R1]

SHAOLIN BROTHERS (1983)
[Tai Seng - US R1]
Filmed in an uncredited anamorphic process and cropped to 1.33 on DVD. This mainland Chinese picture shouldn't be confused with a 1977 Hong Kong movie of the same name.

THE SHAOLIN DISCIPLE (1978)
[Tai Seng - US R1]

THE SHAOLIN DRUNKEN MONK (1982)
[Tai Seng - US R1]
Filmed in an uncredited anamorphic process and cropped to 1.33 on DVD. Also known as THE DRUNKEN MONK and THE 36th CHAMBER THE FINAL ENCOUNTER.

THE SHAOLIN INVINCIBLES (1977)
[Tai Seng - US R1]

SIX DIRECTIONS OF BOXING (1980)
[Tai Seng - US R1]

THE SUPER NINJA (1984)
[Tai Seng - US R1]

TIMECOP (1994)
[Universal - US R1]
Filmed in anamorphic Panavision and cropped to 1.33 on DVD. Available on disc outside the US in its original 2.35 ratio.

THE VICTIM (1980)
[Tai Seng - US R1]

WAR OF THE SHAOLIN TEMPLE (1983)
[Tai Seng - US R1]

THE WARRIOR FROM SHAOLIN (1980)
[Tai Seng - US R1]
Filmed in an uncredited anamorphic process and cropped to 1.33 on DVD. Also known as CARRY ON WISE GUY.

YOGA AND THE KUNGFU GIRL (1979)
[Tai Seng - US R1]
Filmed in an uncredited anamorphic process and cropped to 1.33 on DVD. Also known as OCTAGON FORCE.

THE YOUNG AVENGER (1980)
[Tai Seng - US R1]

Gary Palmer

Stunt Coordinator
BULLETS OF LOVE (2001)
[Tai Seng - US R1]
Filmed in anamorphic Panavision and cropped to 2.00:1 on DVD.

DEEP RED (1975)
[Brentwood - US R1]
Filmed in 2-perf Techniscope and cropped to 1.33 on DVD. Part of Brentwood's Tales of Terror DVD box-set. Anchor Bay released a near-definitive 2.35 version of this film on DVD in the US, minus the original mono soundtrack.

FATAL NEEDLES FATAL FISTS (1978)
[Tai Seng - US R1]

FIVE BLOODY GRAVES (1969)
[Brentwood - US R1]
Filmed in 2-perf Techniscope and cropped to 1.33 on DVD.

FURY OF THE WOLFMAN (1970)
[Alpha - US R1]

THE HEROES (1980)
[Tai Seng - US R1]
Filmed in an uncredited anamorphic process and cropped to 1.33 on DVD. Also known as THE SHAOLIN HEROES, STORY OF CHIVALRY, THE STORY OF HEROES, THE UNFORGIVEN OF SHAOLIN and WU TANG CLAN.

THE LAST WOMAN ON EARTH (1960)
[Alpha - US R1]
Released on video in standard 1.33 format. The film itself is billed as 'Vistarama' in various sources, allegedly a widescreen 2.35 process, though I've been unable to confirm this one way or the other (in this case, it could simply refer to a 1.85 ratio).

THE LEGEND OF BOGGY CREEK (1972)
[Hen's Tooth - US R1]

THE LOST KUNG FU SECRETS (1980)
[Tai Seng - US R1]

MESSIAH OF EVIL (1973)
[Brentwood - US R1]
Filmed in 2-perf Techniscope and cropped to 1.33 on DVD. Part of Brentwood's Tales of Terror DVD box-set.

THE NIGHT EVELYN CAME OUT OF THE GRAVE (1972)
[Brentwood - US R1]
Filmed in 2-perf Techniscope and cropped to 1.33 on DVD. Part of Brentwood's Fright Night DVD box-set.

PARASITE (1982)
[Anchor Bay - US R1]
Filmed in StereoVision 3-D and cropped to 2.00:1 on DVD.

PSYCHO A GO-GO (1965)
[Troma - US R1]
Filmed in 2-perf Techniscope and cropped to 1.33 on DVD. A re-edited version (with extra footage) was also released by Troma - similarly cropped - under the title BLOOD OF GHASTLY HORROR.

SECRET OF TAI CHI (1982)
[Tai Seng - US R1]
Filmed in an uncredited anamorphic process and cropped to 1.33 on DVD. Also known as TAI CHI CHUN.

SHAOLIN HERO (1982)
[Tai Seng - US R1]
Filmed in an uncredited anamorphic process and cropped to 1.33 on DVD. Also known as GREAT MASSACRE.

SHAOLIN MONK (1977)
[Tai Seng - US R1]
Filmed in an uncredited anamorphic process and cropped to 1.33 on DVD. Also known as FIGHTING OF SHAOLIN MONKS and SHAOLIN TAMO BUDDHIST MONK.

THE SHAOLIN MONK FIGHTS BACK (1980)
[Tai Seng - US R1]
Filmed in an uncredited anamorphic process and cropped to 1.33 on DVD. Also known as THE WANDERING MONK.

THE SHE-BEAST (1965)
[Alpha - US R1]
Filmed in 2-perf Cromoscope and cropped to 1.33 on DVD. Also known as REVENGE OF THE BLOOD BEAST.

SUPER KUNG FU KID (1973)
[Tai Seng - US R1]
Filmed in an uncredited anamorphic process and cropped to 1.33 on DVD. Also known as THE HONG KONG CAT, KARADO THE KUNG FU FLASH and SUPERIOR YOUNGSTER.

THE SWORD OF THE VALIANT THE LEGEND OF SIR GAWAIN AND THE GREEN KNIGHT (1984)
[MGM - US R1]
Filmed in J-D-C Anamorphic and cropped to 1.33 on DVD.

THE TALE OF TSAR SALTAN (1966)
[Ruscico/Image - US R1]
Filmed in Sovscope 70 (2.21:1) and cropped to 2.00:1 on DVD.

WEB OF THE SPIDER (1968)
[Brentwood - US R1]
Filmed in 2-perf Techniscope and cropped to 1.33 on DVD. Part of Brentwood's Tales of Terror DVD box-set.

WINTER SLEEPERS (1997)
[Winstar - US R1]
Filmed in Super 35 and reframed at 1.85 on DVD, without 16:9 enhancement.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

Ignorance isn't harsh at all. There are only two aspect ratios in contemporary exhibition because it makes it harder for poorly trained projectionists to screw up. They just have to remember that the anamorphic lens needs to be on the projector for 2.4:1 films but not 1.85:1 films. It is no surprise that exhibition hs become this refined, it makes it cheaper for megaplexes to exhibit films.

Can you imagine what seeing a film would be like if the popcorn guy had to juggle between 1.37:1, 1.66:1, 1.75:1, 1.85:1, 2.4:1?

I would also suggest that the fact there are only two 'valid' aspect ratios is another reason widescreen aesthetics has gone down the toilet. If a film maker really could shoot a film in 1.37:1 or 2.4:1, then I'd suggest 2.4:1 films would start looking a lot different, because it woudl only be employed when felt completely necessary.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I guess this kind of goes along with what the article on Lubezki was getting at.

I'm not an expert on the Super35 process, but I've read a little about it, and there are other reasons directors choose to use it besides aspect ratio protection. The process simply works better for some lighting schemes, particularly dimmer ones. And also, because spherical lenses are used, there is a greater depth of focus than with anamorphic lenses.

At any rate, there are hundreds of ins-and-outs of the art of cinematography that I am only just beginning to learn about, and there are pros and cons to many different processes.

However, I do agree that a definitive aspect ratio should be chosen, and that ratio should be what is shown in theaters and transferred to DVD.

I saw the original broadcast of Dune and had it recorded for a while. I didn't measure it, but to me it looked pretty close to 1.78:1.

As for Storaro's other films, if Exorcist: The Beginning was composed for 2:1, then it should have been exhibited at that ratio, windowboxed on an anamorphic print if necessary. General release prints of the 1998 re-issue of The Wizard of Oz were windowboxed at 1.37 on a standard flat print, and the same has been done with various Disney re-releases over the years, so it shouldn't have been too much of a problem. However, I believe that Apocalypse Now and Tucker, and the others should be presented in full 2.35:1, since that was how they were originally composed.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

Your second point is more or less related to the first.

An important point is that Super 35 is easier to use by inexperienced cinematographers working on tight budgets with time constraints. I'm yet to see a Super 35 film that couldn't be photographed in Panavision provided there was sufficient, budget, time and skill... Super 35 is a format for the current mode of Hollywood production, shoot fast with a lot of cameras and figure out how the scene should be 'staged' in post.

jason:g

Stunt Coordinator
If I get more of the image in the 1.78:1 frame, then I'd rather choose one reframed in 1.78:1 instead of the theatrical OAR of 2.35:1
;)

Gary Palmer

Stunt Coordinator
AMUCK! (1972)
[Eurovista - US R1]
Filmed in 2-perf Cromoscope and cropped to 1.33 on DVD. Also known as HOT BED OF SEX, LEATHER AND WHIPS and MANIAC MANSION. Sounds like fun!

THE ARENA (1973)
[New Concorde - US R1]

THE ASPHYX (1972)
[Anchor Bay - UK R2]
Filmed in anamorphic Todd-AO 35 and cropped to 1.78 on DVD. The US disc (from AllDay) is correctly framed at 2.35, but also lacks 16:9 enhancement.

THE BIRD WITH THE CRYSTAL PLUMAGE (1969)
[Platinum - UK R1]
Filmed in 2-perf Cromoscope and cropped to 1.85 on DVD.

BRANDED TO KILL (1967)
[Criterion - US R1]
Filmed in anamorphic Nikkatsuscope and cropped to 2.00:1 on DVD.

FRIGHT NIGHT PART 2 (1988)
[Artisan - US R1]
Filmed in anamorphic Panavision and cropped to 1.33 on DVD.

OPERA (1987)
[Cecchi Gori - Italy R2]
Filmed in Super 35 and reframed at 1.85 on DVD. The US edition is correctly framed at 2.35, and so is the UK version (entitled TERROR AT THE OPERA).

TOKYO DRIFTER (1966)
[Criterion - US R1]
Filmed in anamorphic Nikkatsuscope and cropped to 2.00:1 on DVD.

Gary Palmer

Stunt Coordinator
Well, there is a difference, it is similar to SuperScope 2.00:1 because the image is explicitly composed for a 2:1 aspect ratio.

Oops, I didn't make myself clear (apologies all round!). What I mean is, the technical specs are the same, except for the final/intended AR. As for whether the image is explicitly composed for 2.00:1 - I'm not so sure. I believe 3-perf S35 has become popular among some directors because it allows a simple reframing of the image for the current (and future) generation of 16:9 TV's. Reframing from 2.00:1 is slightly less damaging than reframing from 2.35, but still damaging.

I do not consider this an "unncessary difference" at all. I consider it a valid aesthetic choice that could easily be accomodated by even the restrictive nature of contemporary exhibition practices

To be honest, 2.00:1 doesn't strike me as significantly different from either 1.85 or 2.35 (in terms of visual presentation and cinematic 'impact') to really deserve consideration as a new AR. In theaters, it will look only slightly wider than 1.85 or slightly shorter than 2.35, which doesn't amount to very much at all. I agree with one of your later statements that shooting either 1.37 or 2.35 would create a greater visual impact for 'scope' movies, but I believe the use of 1.85 on 'regular' movies still allows enough of a difference for those movies photographed at 2.35. Besides, as I understand it, Storaro introduced Univisium to bridge the gap between TV and cinema, and the boat has already sailed on that particular debate (16:9 is now the de facto TV standard).

Ignorance isn't harsh at all. There are only two aspect ratios in contemporary exhibition because it makes it harder for poorly trained projectionists to screw up.

I agree, poor exhibition has its place in this debate. But do we really need another AR? Especially one that doesn't really distinguish itself from any of the current standards in a way that will improve the visual aesthetic to a significant degree. I don't honestly believe Univisium is a valid theatrical format for those reasons.

I'm not an expert on the Super35 process, but I've read a little about it, and there are other reasons directors choose to use it besides aspect ratio protection. The process simply works better for some lighting schemes, particularly dimmer ones. And also, because spherical lenses are used, there is a greater depth of focus than with anamorphic lenses.

This is true, and I would have no quarrel with the use of S35 for those technical reasons if it wasn't being used in a way that compromises the 'visual aesthetic' (for want of a better term). Filmmakers do use S35 for lighting schemes, depth of field and other reasons, but it's no accident that more than 70% of today's 'widescreen' movies are photographed in S35. Left to their own devices, filmmakers may use anamorphic lenses more often, but I've seen and read countless interviews where the director and/or DP has said the studio 'insisted' on S35, and the reasons for that are obvious - it makes it easier to manipulate the image for a variety of media. I say again: This simply isn't necessary, since 2.35 is easily accommodated within 16:9 TV's...

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

The thing is, the way people watch films has changed quite a bit. Movies only last a few weeks in theatres, then live on for years on video.

In theatres, 2.35 looks the best. So, to shoot in that format makes sense.

On DVD, 1.78 looks best, so it sort of makes sense to format the film for that ratio, since more people are likely to see it that way than they did in the theatre.

If the director is okay with releasing a Super 35 at 1.78, I don't see what the problem is.

THE RECRUIT isn't LAWRENCE OF ARABIA. It is just a little B movie that a few people saw in the theatre and multiples of that will see on DVD. Years from now, there aren't going to be revivals in theatres to see it, it will only be shown on DVD. So, I don't really have a problem with that.

Over the weekend I saw THE UPSIDE OF ANGER in theatres. It was shot at 2.35. I don't know if it was shot in Super 35. All throughout the film, I was wondering why they shot it that way, as it seemed they weren't really using the space and seemed to be cutting off picture information at the top of the screen. It was poorly framed. If this would be released to video at 1.78, it would honestly look better.

Gary Palmer

Stunt Coordinator
On DVD, 1.78 looks best

(Cough! Splutter!) I couldn't possibly disagree more, old chap! :D

THE RECRUIT isn't LAWRENCE OF ARABIA. It is just a little B movie that a few people saw in the theatre and multiples of that will see on DVD. Years from now, there aren't going to be revivals in theatres to see it, it will only be shown on DVD. So, I don't really have a problem with that.

Well, we're not going to agree on the idea of 2.35 movies being reframed at 1.78 on DVD. Granted, THE RECRUIT isn't The Greatest Movie Ever Made, but the movie sets a precedent which director Roger Donaldson is keen to pursue (at least, he was keen to pursue it when the movie was first released on disc - it'll be interesting to see what he does with his next 'widescreen' epic), not only for his own movie, but for everyone else's, too! And 'years from now', home theater enthusiasts will view this movie (and every other movie) on huge 21:9 monitors if they so choose, with 4K - and higher - resolution that will reveal every flaw and speck of grain within the Super 35 image. Even now, 2.35 movies look perfectly fine on 16:9 screens (Donaldson seems to have been concerned with the way such movies play on 4:3 screens, though he made no mention of having seen them on a wider monitor), and while it isn't perfect by any means, it's an adequate solution to the ongoing cinema/TV conundrum.

Over the weekend I saw THE UPSIDE OF ANGER in theatres. It was shot at 2.35. I don't know if it was shot in Super 35. All throughout the film, I was wondering why they shot it that way, as it seemed they weren't really using the space and seemed to be cutting off picture information at the top of the screen. It was poorly framed. If this would be released to video at 1.78, it would honestly look better.

Yep, this is another example of S35 'magic' at work. Even so, I wouldn't like to see it reframed on DVD - the theatrical print is what it is, and that remains the standard on which all subsequent versions should be, especially the DVD.

Here endeth the lesson. :D

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck

Yeah, I guess so; sorry about that.

Another thing, though, is that I've heard F/X artists at both ILM and Weta discuss how it is easier to incorporate CGI into film that is shot in the Super35 process, because of the slight distortion that results from anamorphic cinematography. It can be done with anamorphic, especially since the "distortion" isn't nearly as bad as it used to be. However, for films like LOTR, Matrix, Harry Potter, etc., the fact that CGI was to be used so extensively was probably a big factor in the decision to use Super35.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
I have never heard anyone at ILM discuss Super35 being easier. Perhaps you mean Digital Domain, who practically forced Luc Besson to use it on "The Fifth Element".

ILM, when they are involved early in the process, always used VistaVision as their FX capture element. I'm probably the biggest fan of ILM on the HTF and I have yet to hear of them complain about anamorphic photography! :D

Matter of fact, James Cameron's S35 epics (Abyss, T2, Titanic) ILM only rendered out to 2:1, figuring anything else more would be a waste.

All of ILM's major franchises have been 'scope: Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Star Trek, etc. The exception of course being the final 2 SW pictures in HiDef.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck

I didn't mean to say that they were complaining about anamorhpic photography, just that they mentioned that picture distortion had to be taken into consideration.

And now that you mention it, it may not have been ILM. I think it was on the commentary track on The Time Machine, which was filmed anamorphically (quite nicely, IMO). One of the F/X guys mentioned the minor distortion in the photography, and the need to incorporate it into the CGI to have everything match up. I think that was an ILM project.

I'm a pretty big fan of ILM, as well. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks