What's new

1st speaker project - was: New Idea For a Small Business, at age 15! (Moved) (1 Viewer)

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser

It 'aight, I do it all the time... Not proud of it, though...

Oh, and I got a huge increase in hours at work now (2-3x more) so my pay check will be a bit bigger than it used to be. Which, in turn, allows me to increase my budget a bit on this subwoofer. Do you think I should go a bit more on this, or do you think it'll be better just to save more money on this so I can afford my fronts and center?

Phaseshift

Agent
Real Name
Phil

Bobby- With all that extra cash, you can hire me to design and validate your systems, select manufacturing centers, get your S&R certifications, FCC work done, validate the packages, provide a QA plan, DV and PV startup work and get you into production. That way, you do not have to worry about anything- just go chase the girls and enjoy being 16 while you can. ;)

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ben Milne, ED's owner, started that company when he was just 19. So it's not such a far fetched idea if you really want to persue it.

-Robert

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
That takes cash, which I'm very short of... And no job options in my area besides the one I got, which kills me and I hate it. I'm really considering quitting very soon, I can't take it any more.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Banks have money. That's what small business loans are for.

From age 14 to 23, I drove a tractor, worked on a catfish farm, layed sewer pipe on a construction crew (I was taking orders from a guy with 3 teeth), worked in an office (senior year of high school) and was an assistant teacher (during grad school). They all sucked but I hung in there. I used it as a motivational tool to get to the next level of education.

I thought about building custom speakers as a side business but I don't think I can deal with the general public. But I do take custom orders from friends and family.

-Robert

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
For someone who sits in front of a computer screen all day, my job is brutal.

EDIT:

Looks like I'll need a new receiver first. I blew channel A. :)

Phaseshift

Agent
Real Name
Phil
The TC sounds factory pics- Reminds me of a place I saw in India. And that open cap bank on the magnetizer- they are going to kill someone with that thing. They could use some serious housekeeping and equipment upgrades.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Most of their older pictures show a clean shop but I think they let that guy run loose on the tour.

-Robert

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
I sent him a message. May take me a week or two to get the money for it though. But, seeing how long it's been up for sale, I don't think it's going anywhere for another week or two anyways... Worst comes to worst, I'll have to borrow $100 from my mom to get it before someone, or you, gets their hands on it. :D

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Right now I'm listening to a Pioneer receiver that I got with wedding gift money 15 years ago. I also have a 13 year old Pioneer radio in my car. In storage, I have a Pioneer integrated amp that's almost 20 years old. It was the "frat house" sound system as well as travelling to dozens of parties as part of the DJ equipment. I've had very good luck with Pioneer equipment over the years.

-Robert

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
I haven't owned a Pioneer before. I've only owned a Yamaha, Panasonic, and RCA.

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
I have a question, how does that Pioneer output 770 watts, but only intakes 440?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The receiver will not put out 110wx7 with all channels driven at the same time. The power supply isn't big enough. They measure one channel and then tell you it has 7 channels.

Also, you can't compare output watts to input watts. On the input side, it is a fixed 120V @ 60 hz. On the output side, the voltage varies with material and the position of the volume knob. The frequency of the signal varies from 10hz to 20,000hz. Finally, the impendance of the load varies by frequency. To get the 110w output number, they run a 1khz tone into a non-inductave 8 ohm load and measure the voltage. They find the current, voltage and then wattage (you can look up the formulas in any physics book). It well very rarely give you that amount of power into a speaker. The good thing is that ALL companies rate their receivers the same way. Even though its not an accurate number in the real world, we still get to compare apples to apples when looking at numbers from other receivers. I just ingore the wattage and look at the features.

-Robert

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
I'm not so worried about how many watts there were, just how it was possible to have a 440 watt intake and have a 770 watt output.

I should have the money for his receiver next Friday, I just hope it's still around.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Start on the left hand side. There's a column of right inputs/output (red RCA jacks), then a column of left inputs/outputs (white RCA jacks), the next two columns are multi-channel inputs and outputs. There's pre-amp outputs for LFE as well as the 7 channels. It's actually labeled PRE OUT. The LFE jack is below PRE. The 6 RCA jacks below that are MULTI CH IN. That's the 5.1 analog inputs for SACD.

Just click the pic to make it full sized. I can read most of the labels back there. But I am using a 22" widescreen monitor.

Here's a link on the specs - http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...866598,00.html

And a link to the archives where the users discuss this receiver - http://www.hometheaterforum.com/arch...hreadid=197358

-Robert

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
Ohh, I see it. It's right next to the center out and the tex is half covered up by the jack:

Thanks Rob! :D

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
Ohh, well, I was ready with most of the money for the receiver, but I told my mom that it's time, and she said no. Said that I could send in the money, and not get a receiver in return... She was fine with it when I asked her before hand too... Well, it looks like I'm gona have to go retail on this one. So, is their any equally good receivers out their? I looked at the 1016, but $500 is a little steep... Hoping to get a good receiver around $300-$350.

EDIT:

How's this:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...tailsComponent

Phaseshift

Agent
Real Name
Phil
Bobby-

How they get 400 watts in, 700 watts out- Keebler style, Elf and magic. ;)

Seriously, do the math on the wattage numbers. Assuming that the numbers are the real deal (not ILS ratings) then the difference between the 90 WPC amp and the 110 WPC amp is very small in terms of actual speaker output. I believe that you will find most of your baseline AV receivers to be in the 100 watt range and that should be adequate for your main speakers.

When you purchase something, remember- quality, not quantity. You may find a no-name product with a million Brazilian watts for half the price and they only have them today and .... Pass on that stuff, go with a trusted brand and if you have problems, you have something to fall back on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks