What's new

1996 Sable/Taurus (1 Viewer)

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
I own a 1996 Mercury Sable which, as anyone who owns one or its sister car, the Ford Taurus knows, has integrated sound system and environmental controls. I would like to add a CD player to the car. While I'm fairly proficient in home theater "stuff" I don't have a clue where to start with this project. I'm sure that I need to upgrade the speakers in the car, get some sort of adaptor for the environmental controls and upgrade the wiring. I'm just wondering how far this rabbit hole will be when all is said and done...?

On the off chance that someone else on this board has dealt with this particular make and model, how did you deal with it?

I am dead set against the FM modulator-type systems. I don't need a changer, I typically drive very short trips and I don't want to have to dig around the trunk to change CDs. I don't need a great system, I can serve my "basshead" needs at home. I just want something that is decent.

Thanks.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
I know Metra makes a dash kit for the Taurus/Sable that includes a new bezel and new climate controls. It's somewhat expensive, but I think crutchfield will give you a bit of a discount on it if you get the receiver from them(though it might be cheaper elsewhere even with a discount). If you're new to car stereo stuff, I really recccomend going through Crutchfield. They're very good to work with and are extremely helpful if you need assistance during your install.
If you go to their web site and enter in your vehicle information that'll tell you what size speakers you'll need and just how expensive the dash kit you'll need is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks