What's new

1970's tv show Family (1 Viewer)

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Yes they are definately uncut except i question one i watched today. The runtime was only 44 change compared to the 48 minutes. The name of the episode slips my mind but you will see when you watch it. Also for the first time the christmas episode started with a preview of the episode. That was the first one like that so far, the rest have started with the opening credits.
I probably said this allready but this show holds up very well and i think it is great. Sure a few things are outdated but even still they turn out well done storylines. Thank god there is no laugh track in here like they stuck in Eight is Enough for whatever reason. Hopefully we will see that released in the not to distant future though.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
I would also like to see eight is enough, although with that being a Warner show I don't think it's likely. Sony seems to be the only company willing to take a chance with lower profile series.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Michael Alden said:
I just watched the pilot this morning and yes, it is complete and uncut....It is so nice to be able to watch a program with a nicely written underscore instead of hearing these awful modern pop tunes.
Thanks, Mike for the info. The score's with these older shows are something that I haven't thought about much but I agree, it's a lot better IMO watching without the "pop" tunes :) I guess it all depends on which "generation"'s ears that you're using to listen with.
I also just finished the pilot this weekend. I didn't remember the pilot at all from the 70's but I remember the series as one that I liked viewing at the time.
I just read Aryn's post about a possible cut ep. Can anyone else confirm that one?

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
looking forward to getting this one during the next DDD sale.

I'm awash in tv sets right now, with a good dozen or more I haven't even opened yet (thanks to some outrageous sales in the last year or so) but this is one I can't wait to see again.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Paul_Scott said:
looking forward to getting this one during the next DDD sale.
I'm awash in tv sets right now, with a good dozen or more I haven't even opened yet (thanks to some outrageous sales in the last year or so) but this is one I can't wait to see again.
I know that feeling, Paul. I may have you beat with the "unopened" count :)
Your "onopened" reference got me to thinking so I checked my "excel" viewing list :) I have 30 ! sets that I haven't started viewing yet. I think I need to be snowed in for a while to catch up :) Not much chance of that happening in Dallas :) I guess I just think "While this TV/DVD release-train is rolling, I'm going to be at the station collecting them" :)

JeffWld

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff Willis said:
I just read Aryn's post about a possible cut ep. Can anyone else confirm that one?
The episode isn't really cut as such. It's another situation (common with Sony) of removing the recap from Part 1 on Part 2 of a two-part episode. As I recall, this was done with Part 2 of "Jury Duty", hence the shorter running time.
In contrast, the 2-part episode "Taking Chances" had the Part 1 recap left intact.

LoriB

Grip
I am sooo thrilled this was released on DVD! One of my very favorite shows of all time. I too dont recall seeing the "pilot" episode , so it was refreshing.Family was truly a great show and i hope all the season sets get released!

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Here's an episode I had completely forgotten about (from the series' final season) -- the Thanksgiving program with guest Henry Fonda. Hopefully this ep. will make it to DVD eventually.......
htf_imgcache_1550.jpeg

phantomcpa

Auditioning
Real Name
Peter
Does anyone have any news on future releases? It has been two years since the first release. This fabulous show should be available.

Jude86

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jude Cormier
I'm sure Family is one of those series from Sony that they have no future plans to release any more seasons due to "poor sales" of seasons1 and 2 and will not contemplate releasing more until it has made its money back on that set. That's the reasoning I've heard behind the other stalled series from Sony such AITF, Jeffersons, Facts of Life, Diff'rent Strokes, etc.

Elena S

Supporting Actor
Jude86 said:
I'm sure Family is one of those series from Sony that they have no future plans to release any more seasons due to "poor sales" of seasons1 and 2 and will not contemplate releasing more until it has made its money back on that set.
Yeah, and you know why that is -- absolutely NO promotion for it, and it isn't even stocked in brick and mortar stores. Hardly anyone knows it's out on DVD. Sony should have given this release a lot of publicity. "Family" was very highly acclaimed when it came out, and it's an Aaron Spelling show, for goodness' sakes! It won Emmys, Golden Globes, and numerous other awards.

Sky Captain

Second Unit
Real Name
Neville Ross
Michael Alden said:
I would also like to see eight is enough, although with that being a Warner show I don't think it's likely. Sony seems to be the only company willing to take a chance with lower profile series.
So, why aren't they releasing The Donna Reed Show, Route 66, The Naked City and a ton of other classics that people really want to see?

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I am still waiting for Family. Peyton Place has been released for this May which is one of my favortites. I would like to see Family picked up by Shout Factory or MPI. I wish Sony would allow it. Mark Collins

losttvseries

Auditioning
Real Name
mike j
htf_imgcache_39433.jpeg

That 70's Show revolves the lives of several 17-year-olds living in Point Place, Wisconsin, 1976. The head of the group is Eric Forman (Topher Grace) who lives under the authority of parents Red and Kitty (Kurtwood Smith & Debra Jo Rupp). Living next door is girlfriend Donna Pinciotti (Laura Prepon) and her parents Bob & Midge (Don Stark & Tanya Roberts). The rest of the gang includes Fez (Wilmer Valderrama), a foreign-exchange student who's soaking up American culture like a sponge, Jackie Burkhart (Mila Kunis), her on-again, off-again boyfriend Michael Kelso (Ashton Kutcher), and Steven Hyde (Danny Masterson), a conspiracy theorist who believes Xerox will take over the world. The gang usually spends their time in Eric's basement, thinking of their lives, parents, and futures, but they manage to get into funny adventures and mishaps along the way through their teenage lives.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hi Mike! Welcome to the HTF!
This thread is about a TV program called Family that appeared on ABC-TV in the 1970....not the family that appears on That '70s Show. Although I could see where it might be confusing by the title...
htf_imgcache_1112.jpeg

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Here is one show that I bought when it first came out and still want. There are not that many shows like this one. Pre Dallas with Dallas creator David Jacobs who speaks about the show. I started watching it again and it really brings the 70s back to life. I have many fond thoughts of that show and what was going on in my own life at that time. I wish Sony would put more out MOD perhaps.http://www.emmytvlegends.org/interviews/shows/family

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Mark, I'm with you on this one. Another childhood favorite. I had a HUGE crush of Kristy McNichol. I'd be all-in for more seasons.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Ok so here it is Family. I hope the next post will be a complete series release. I was just at the right age to enjoy this show.

My college classmates and I would review last nights episode in season 2. I still can remember the instructor saying " Mark it is time to begin. I hope that is ok with you and your friends LOA!!

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I am still waiting for a complete release of this show. The show was in syndication on local stations right after it went off the air. The show then ended up on Lifetime and was syndicated later in the early 90s. I still can remember one episode which described the start of the Star Trek conventions. Willie tells his Father Doug about the Star Trek conventions without naming the show and Doug states " you mean a convention about that TV show with the guy with the pointed ears" love that line.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073992/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_40

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks