What's new

1966 Batman DVD Coming! See Post 649 (1 Viewer)

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I'm keeping my blu-ray preorder in and hoping the price goes down. I'm surprised at what little in the way of vintage material is being offered on this, but maybe we will learn more in the coming days. I really want this in Blu-ray, but maybe I will just go with the DVDs.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
This release has got to be a big draw during the Black Friday sales, like the James Bond blu-ray set was a few years back. My thinking is that how ever low it goes for the release date, it will go even lower a few weeks later. No pre-order for me.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"Documentaries cost money and take time. If they were to do that, it would delay the set even longer and probably affect the price."Now c'mon Bob...

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
smithbrad said:
This release has got to be a big draw during the Black Friday sales, like the James Bond blu-ray set was a few years back. My thinking is that how ever low it goes for the release date, it will go even lower a few weeks later. No pre-order for me.
I agree with you that the release day price may not go as low as the Black Friday price. However, if it does go lower than we expect, for whatever reason, I'm covered until the release date. I can always cancel up to then.
But, I know where you are coming from.
Whatever way I go, DVD or Blu-ray, this release will be better than my copies from HUB.
But I don't get the marketing, if you want the premium price, then give me something extra on the discs that add to the experience of seeing the show.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Peter M Fitzgerald said:
I like Blu-ray, but I'm not part of the crowd that absolutely must-must-must have this sort of thing on the format.

Due to the high ticket price (even with online discounts involved) and a lot of unwanted "collectible" paraphernalia, it looks like the complete DVD set of the series is the way for me to go. It'll still look and sound incredible, won't hurt my wallet as much, won't burden me with superfluous geegaws and will fit on my shelf better. It remains for me to just bide my time, and see where and when I can get the DVDs at the lowest possible price.

It'd be nice if the BATGIRL pilot and some other hoped-for footage were in the sets, but that's not a make-or-break issue for me, especially if they required further expensive/complicated clearances. Uncut episodes, without time compression or network bugs devaluing them, are what's important, and we're getting that... after years of fan speculation that this alone was nigh close to impossible.

I wonder if Image Entertainment will (or can) re-press their BATMAN: HOLY BATMANIA! disc, in light of all this?
Your position is similar to mine. I'm not one of the "Blu-ray or I won't buy it" types. Most of the BDs I own are of films since the majority of the shows I would want to own aren't available in that format and likely never will be. Still, when that format is an option, I go for it.

But apparently WB assumes that if I'm interested in owning Batman on Blu-ray, it means I would also want to own an underwhelming pile of Bat-crap as well.

I would pay the current Amazon asking price of $189.99 if need be (though I'd still prefer to wait until Black Friday to see if a better price could be had). The price isn't the issue for me. It's that the only way to have a Blu-ray set of the complete series is to agree to get it in an oversized box with a toy car, trading cards, and the Adam West Scrapbook. I'm actually surprised there's not also a doll included. (Sorry...action figure.)

I suppose if I were either a child or a candidate to appear on "Hoarders", I might enjoy having all of this clutter. The episode guide/booklet is the only extra item that I would have any use for, and it's rather shameful that they would promote it as a "sought-after premium" extra in their press release.

While I would have liked to have some episode commentaries, at least Fox did the right thing with their earlier release of the movie and had a commentary from West and Ward. I don't think the special features that have been announced that will be on the discs are awful. (Though the lack of any involvement from - or even a mention of - Yvonne Craig is odd.)

But since any later Blu-ray re-release (if there is one) would likely be bare bones, it looks like the only way to have a complete series set without the clutter (but still retaining the on-disc special features) is to get the DVD version. So be it. WB loses out on the more profitable sale of a BD version when it comes to this customer. (Not that they would/should care. Just saying...)

Ultimately, it's not about price or extras, it's about the episodes. Even if it means getting the complete DVD set, I look forward to watching these shows uncut for the first time. (Wasn't alive when they were first run, so I only have experience with the syndication cuts.) It just stinks that one can't get a BD version without also having garbage thrust upon him.

On a separate note, I agree with some who say that the distribution of episodes per disc is disturbing. I can't imagine that WB would have aspirations to become more like Mill Creek and VCI. But I suppose an extra disc or two might have gotten in the way of a release designed to appeal more to the Toys R Us crowd than to purchasers of television programs on DVD and BD.

(Note: All comments above are ONLY MY OPINIONS. I know some people are thrilled with all of the contents that will be in the Blu-ray set, and some may not like them but are still willing to buy this BD release to get the episodes. Congrats. Enjoy. It's just not for me. Though after reading through both threads, I have no doubt I'll be lumped into the group labeled as "whiners" by some who can't comprehend why not everyone is jumping up and down in excitement over how this great series is being released.)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I am so looking forward to this release! I feel like I am a kid all over again as Batman was my favourite super friend growing up as such I had the bat boat, batmobile, batman and robin action figure, etc.

I have the 1966 movie on DVD as such it may be a good time to watch it again as it was the only time we got to see Lee Meriweather as catwoman. It is too bad that Lee never made it to the TV show as she was amazing beauty in the 1960s!!

I am also surprised Batman never found away to bring in Raquel Welch as a villain. She would have made a perfect Syren character!!

I do remember watching an episode were Skipper from Gilligan's Island guest starred. It is amazing looking at the old shows seeing some of the old guest stars, especially in their youth.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
darkrock17 said:
Does the NFL have the master tapes or is the first game just completely gone?

I know what you mean, how shows got wiped, but at least Doctor Who keeps surprising us with those missing episodes being found now.
The network broadcasts were wiped. However, NFL Films shot their own game film, so there is, at least, footage of that first Bowl game, just not the footage used in the network TV broadcast.

High C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andante
I have the 1966 movie on DVD as such it may be a good time to watch it again as it was the only time we got to see Lee Meriweather as catwoman. It is too bad that Lee never made it to the TV show as she was amazing beauty in the 1960s!!
Lee combined beauty and intelligence quite well. However, I must point out she did make it to the show, albeit not as Catwoman.
I am also surprised Batman never found away to bring in Raquel Welch as a villain. She would have made a perfect Syren character!!
I certainly am a fan of Raquel's, but I think the Siren they did hire was quite good! :D

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
High C said:
Lee combined beauty and intelligence quite well. However, I must point out she did make it to the show, albeit not as Catwoman.I certainly am a fan of Raquel's, but I think the Siren they did hire was quite good! :D
You are right about Lee guest starring on batman, but I still prefer her over Eartha Kitt or Julie Newmar!

It also appears the Joker then the Penguin were the villains most seen on Batman. It is too Boris Kaloff was not a little younger as he would have been a great Mr Freeze.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
younger1968 said:
I am so looking forward to this release! I feel like I am a kid all over again as Batman was my favourite super friend growing up as such I had the bat boat, batmobile, batman and robin action figure, etc.

I do remember watching an episode were Skipper from Gilligan's Island guest starred. It is amazing looking at the old shows seeing some of the old guest stars, especially in their youth.
Due to church I missed most of the first-half of each 2-part episode during the original airings so I'm *thrilled* to finally be able to see it again!

I'm with you on Lee Meriweather. I had a *massive* crush on her as a kid and, after seeing her in the movie in the theater, always wanted her as Catwoman on the TV series when Newmar left the role. I never much cared for Kit. If Welch had been given a recurring villian role I'd have found a way to be "sick" those nights so I could stay home and watch! :D

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The network broadcasts were wiped. However, NFL Films shot their own game film, so there is, at least, footage of that first Bowl game, just not the footage used in the network TV broadcast.
A home recording of Super Bowl I does exist and has been restored by the Museum of TV/Radio but the NFL has been unable to negotiate a deal with the owner/original taper (they keep lowballing him after years of saying such a broadcast would be worth a million dollars).

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I am also surprised Batman never found away to bring in Raquel Welch as a villain.
In general, those who were big name film stars at the time of the series never would have been on the radar screen for a TV guest shot, but Raquel is someone who *could* have done it given that she was a Fox contract player and if Fox had ordered her to do a guest shot, she would have had to oblige (she in fact did do a cameo for the Fox produced "Bracken's World" a year or two later).She would have been terrific to be sure. :)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Jack P said:
In general, those who were big name film stars at the time of the series never would have been on the radar screen for a TV guest shot, but Raquel is someone who *could* have done it given that she was a Fox contract player and if Fox had ordered her to do a guest shot, she would have had to oblige (she in fact did do a cameo for the Fox produced "Bracken's World" a year or two later).She would have been terrific to be sure. :)
Thanks for the tidbit on Raquel Welch! I did not know that Raquel was under contract with Fox. I bet if Fox could do all over again then I am sure they would have found a spot for a villain for Raquel Welch, especially as former love interest for Bruce Wayne that turned to a life of crime, i.e. Little Red Riding Hood.

I do have fond memories of the show, especially running home from school to catch the episodes on YTV in Canada. I bought the 1966 movie many years ago as such I am likely going to watched it again as part of the build up to TV set release in Novemeber.

I am also hoping that the Green Hornet will also see a release as it is another show I like to have in my collection, especially as I enjoyed Bruce Lee as Kato.

I realize TV has changed over the years, but the reality is the old shows to me still are appealling to me. Yes, some of the shows can be campy and/or make to many fashion statements. However, the shows of yesteryear do have a few common themese like good acting and plots.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
FanCollector said:
Do you still have the cards? They're probably worth a small fortune now!
Ockeghem said:
Lee,

Yes, you're right. I wish I still had those cards. :(
I still have mine! Thanks, Mom! :biggrin:

===============

I would love to own this series on Blu. But I've NEVER purchased a big box o'junk yet (not even Lawrence of Arabia let alone Casablanca or The Wizard of Oz) and don't plan to start now.

Just sell me the shows, reduce the price and then I'll think about it.

Oh. And I can't be counted among the masses who were calling for the release of this series "at whatever cost." I'm just a casual fan and greatly enjoyed the show in my youth. It'll take a great deal to get me to splurge on the complete series.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mike,No, you have your baseball cards. We were talking about Batman cards. I know for a fact you still don't have your Batman trading cards.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
The Topps cards sold like crazy in the spring/summer of 1966, especially the first set which appears to be the one included in the box. You can find original cards on eBay.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ockeghem said:
Mike,

No, you have your baseball cards. We were talking about Batman cards. I know for a fact you still don't have your Batman trading cards.
For a fact?
scratch.gif

Yup. I still have my baseball cards. But mom kept the Batman cards, too. Both the live action cards from the TV series AND the animated cards out at the same time!

Maybe this fall would be the time to sell those cards? They're in with my baseball cards in a small box labeled "non-sporting." (Unless, of course, Scott has broken into my basement...)

I better check tonight. If they're still there, I'll post a couple pix. :biggrin:

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I did, after much diligence, amass a full set of the photo "Bat Laffs" cards. Of course, about a year after I got the last card, along came a little novelty called eBay, which would have allowed me to collect the set in about nine minutes...

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mike Frezon said:
For a fact?
scratch.gif

Yup. I still have my baseball cards. But mom kept the Batman cards, too. Both the live action cards from the TV series AND the animated cards out at the same time!

Maybe this fall would be the time to sell those cards? They're in with my baseball cards in a small box labeled "non-sporting." (Unless, of course, Scott has broken into my basement...)

I better check tonight. If they're still there, I'll post a couple pix. :biggrin:
Mike,

Well, I was kind of hoping you were going to post scans of some of the cards to prove me wrong. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks