What's new

1950s: What Titles Did You Vote For? (1 Viewer)

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
I agree re the comments above regarding THE MAN IN THE GRAY FLANNEL SUIT. Great drama. Interesting comeback supporting performance from '30's star Ann Harding . Jennifer Jones gives a multi-layered, overlooked performance as the wife who cannot cope with her husband's war-time infidelity. Terrific Herrmann score too. Hi Peter/'Poder', where did we have an option to vote for PRINCE OF PLAYERS? I agree that the timing is great for a proper CinemaScope release of this Philip Dunne classic. Even its HD broadcast on ENCORE was panned+scanned. Ugh! Superb Herrmann score. Even John Derek is better than usual surrounded by this cast. Plus a rare film appearance of Shakespeare great Eva LeGalliene. I believe the Shakesperean-actor character in MY DARLING CLEMENTINE and TOMBSTONE is based on Edwin Booth. Fortunately for him, he saved the life of Lincoln's son at a train station and was thus spared persecution after the assassination for being the brother of John Wilkes.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
The Inn Of The Sixth Happiness was on TV in HD yesterday (UK) & it looked very good. A bit of yellow staining a few shots (which a lot of people wouldn't notice), the dupes looked like dupes, a bit of grain for the grain lovers. All in all I thought a very nice looking HD transfer.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I have voted for The River's Edge and nominated Soldier of Fortune in the suggestion box. In the 30's category I have voted for Call of the Wild, because this film together with The Tall Men and Soldier of Fortune were released in a Gable DVD set so I am hoping Fox will upgrade the set to Blu-ray. I agree with the comments others have made about The Man in the Grey Flannel Suit. Lee J Cobb has a small part and I particularly like the scene in his office at the end. Good performances all round.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Today's write-in: The rather bizarre film version of THE GLASS MENAGERIE, with Gertie Lawrence as the mother. An odd choice, I admit, but one I've always wanted to see.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
I can't believe that The True Story of Jesse James is scoring above Anastasia, Inn of the 6th Happiness, and Broken Lance! It's a terrible remake of Jesse James with Robert Wagner at his worst with a rather unremarkable cast and overall it's just dull. Anastasia got Ingrid Bergman an Oscar and TSOJJ got nothing. Inn of the 6th Happiness also deserves a lot more, considering it's wonderful story and another excellent performance from Bergman. Broke Lance has a great cast; Spencer Tracy and Richard Widmark among others, with exception of Robert Wagner. It has a much better story (based on King Lear) and far better cinematography. I mean for cryin' out loud, where is people's logic?

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Lromero1396 said:
I can't believe that The True Story of Jesse James is scoring above Anastasia, Inn of the 6th Happiness, and Broken Lance! It's a terrible remake of Jesse James with Robert Wagner at his worst with a rather unremarkable cast and overall it's just dull. Anastasia got Ingrid Bergman an Oscar and TSOJJ got nothing. Inn of the 6th Happiness also deserves a lot more, considering it's wonderful story and another excellent performance from Bergman. Broke Lance has a great cast; Spencer Tracy and Richard Widmark among others, with exception of Robert Wagner. It has a much better story (based on King Lear) and far better cinematography. I mean for cryin' out loud, where is people's logic?
Agreed. I'd say Broken Lance and Inn of the 6th Happiness are both very good movies, and I'd like to seem them both on blu. Anastasia I'm not as fond of, but it has moments. I'm voting for Broken Lance.
77df408c_lance1.jpeg
cb6f3213_lance2.jpeg
3612d4b9_lance3.jpeg

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Has anybody considered Boy on a Dolphin starting Sophia Loren, Alan Ladd, and Clifton Webb? It's a gorgeous DeLuxe color Cinemascope adventure filmed on location in the islands of Greece. It has a wonderful score by Hugo Friedhofer too. This hasn't been released in the U.S. since the VHS days and is supposedly a favorite of Rupert Murdoch (Hahaha not sure how valid that statement is).

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
My vote today was for Broken Lance. For the write-in suggestion box, I've suggested (or will suggest) for the 1950s: American Guerrilla in the Philippines (1950) The Black Rose (1950) Broken Arrow (1950) The Gunfighter (1950) Night and the City (1950) Where the Sidewalk Ends (1950) Decision Before Dawn (1951) The Desert Fox (1951) Fixed Bayonets! (1951) No Highway in the Sky (1951) People Will Talk (1951) Rawhide (1951) The 13th Letter (1951) Deadline - U.S.A. (1952) 5 Fingers (1952) Lydia Bailey (1952) Monkey Business (1952) Phone Call from a Stranger (1952) What Price Glory (1952) The Desert Rats (1953) King of the Khyber Rifles (1953) Niagara (1953) Pickup on South Street (1953) Garden of Evil (1954) Hell and High Water (1954) Woman's World (1954) Daddy Long Legs (1955) The Deep Blue Sea (1955) House of Bamboo (1955) The Magnificent Matador (1955) Oklahoma! (1955) Untamed (1955) Violent Saturday (1955) The Virgin Queen (1955) 23 Paces to Baker Street (1956) Carousel (1956) The King and I (1956) The Last Wagon (1956) The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit (1956) Boy on a Dolphin (1957) The Enemy Below (1957) Forty Guns (1957) A Hatful of Rain (1957) Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison (1957) Island in the Sun (1957) The Fly (1958) The Long, Hot Summer (1958) Ten North Frederick (1958) The Young Lions (1958) Compulsion (1959) Warlock (1959)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Lromero1396 said:
I have to agree about Robert Wagner, he was really learning on the job in the 50's, & he was just so lucky to have a contract with Fox. The True Story Of Jesse James has been on TV a few times in the UK & it's everything you say it is. I would have much prefered The Last Wagon or The Garden Of Evil, but I suppose Fox had to pick the films they'd already done the HD work on.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Lromero1396
Has anybody considered Boy on a Dolphin starting Sophia Loren, Alan Ladd, and Clifton Webb? It's a gorgeous DeLuxe color Cinemascope adventure filmed on location in the islands of Greece. It has a wonderful score by Hugo Friedhofer too. This hasn't been released in the U.S. since the VHS days and is supposedly a favorite of Rupert Murdoch (Hahaha not sure how valid that statement is).
I have a very close friend who would dearly love for this to be released. He's been hoping with every Twilight Time announcement that it will be one of the Cinemascope films that have been selected. He loves the score, too. Maybe it's on TT's radar.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Also would welcome Pickup on South Street. I know Criterion released it on DVD many years ago, but it's such a great film and contains one of those patented Thelma Ritter funny/heartbreaking performances that earned her one of her many Oscar nominations.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Keith Cobby said:
Violent Saturday is being released on Blu-ray by Carlotta in France on 3 April.
Very interesting. I just hope they do it properly. If they do, they'll have me for a customer.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Billy Batson said:
I have to agree about Robert Wagner, he was really learning on the job in the 50's, & he was just so lucky to have a contract with Fox. The True Story Of Jesse James has been on TV a few times in the UK & it's everything you say it is. I would have much prefered The Last Wagon or The Garden Of Evil, but I suppose Fox had to pick the films they'd already done the HD work on.
Fox did HD Remasters of Garden of Evil and The Last Wagon for DVD. But perhaps they've already done further work for TTSOJJ. I just don't want TTSOJJ to cause more worthy titles to be released by Twilight Time, since those releases are out of my price range at this time. :(
MattH. said:
I have a very close friend who would dearly love for this to be released. He's been hoping with every Twilight Time announcement that it will be one of the Cinemascope films that have been selected. He loves the score, too. Maybe it's on TT's radar.
I'd like for Fox to release it themselves. There's certainly a market for it, albeit a small one. Just put a nice picture of Sophia Loren in her diving suit on the cover. :D

kingofthejungle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Heath
I agree with all of the anti-True Story of Jesse James sentiment. It's killed by the exceptional anti-charisma of Robert Wagner. I've heard that Nicholas Ray originally wanted Elvis Presley for the role of Jesse, and kind of lost interest in the film when he couldn't get him--now THAT would have been interesting.

Sky Captain

Second Unit
Real Name
Neville Ross
My vote was for Carmen Jones-it's time that a major Afro-American starred movie of the past that paved the way for the current generation of Afro-American actors was released on DVD in a premium format.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Sky Captain said:
My vote was for Carmen Jones-it's time that a major Afro-American starred movie of the past that paved the way for the current generation of Afro-American actors was released on DVD in a premium format.
D'oh, that's what I forgot!: A 30's write-in vote for Stormy Weather, with Lena Horne! Thanks for the reminder.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks